McGeorges in VA no-more

szewczyk_john

We arrived today at our camping spot for the Richmond race weekend only to discover a broken screen door handle. SO after setting up it was off to McGeorge's RV center only to find out that it is now a camping world store. I asked the parts counter what happened and was told that the owner wanted to retire and he sold it all to CW at the end of April. We've been coming down here for 15 plus years for both races and we watched MdGeorges grow into what it is now. They had one **** of a set up and top notch employees. Everyone seemed to know what they were talking about. For the record McGeorge's was the Dealer that supplied the show trailers for the Urbanna, VA national rally a few years ago.

If this news was posted before ,I missed it but figured I would let everyone know.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
They were a great dealer for us. Purchased the Elkridge there. Hate to see an independent dealership go..

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Unfortunately money talks. McGeorge was a huge competition against CW so it was bought out. CW also bought Tom Johnson's in NC for the same reason and have run that business to nothing. Shame independents are either run out of business or bought out.

GETnBYE

I hope cw does not get our service dealer, Bankston in Huntsville , AL. They are really good!

szewczyk_john

McGeorge's lot was just under 9 acres and for a time they were the largest independent RV dealer in the land. They were passed in size by another dealer in the last few years and were the 2nd largest when bought out. They did have a ton of Heartland products on site that we saw against the back fence when leaving. Looks like they had all the toy haulers grouped together there. The supply store inside the main building even seemed to be smaller now.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Camping World is gobbling up a lot of dealerships in Texas as well.

I read recently that Jack Siesmore in Amarillo, TX sold to Camping World, he wanted to retire. We visited this dealer to see his personal vintage RV Collection that was housed behind the dealership and open to the public. I wonder what will become of it??

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Shame independents are either run out of business or bought out.

Unfortunately, this is the new world order for small brick and mortar retailers.

I work in retail (electronics) and every day it is getting increasingly harder to keep up with the big boys and online sales.

As I speak, Amazon is building a huge warehouse and shipping facility about four miles from where we live . . . and it is supposed to be all electronics stuff (TV's, cameras, stereos, home appliances . . . anything electronic).

I fear that we will become the showroom and then the shoppers will go home and order from Amazon and have it delivered the same day to their homes.

kowAlski631

We were there last year. What a shame! That collection was cool.

Camping World is gobbling up a lot of dealerships in Texas as well.

I read recently that Jack Siesmore in Amarillo, TX sold to Camping World, he wanted to retire. We visited this dealer to see his personal vintage RV Collection that was housed behind the dealership and open to the public. I wonder what will become of it??