Bathroom Remodel

BobbyandGenee

Well the fun has begun! A BIG thanks to Furious for their posts on their bathroom remodel. I am sure I would have been panicking as I did the demo if they had not posted there Remodel in the forum.

I am going to expand a little more on the work in case anyone else does this.

These are the top points:
1) The shelving unit in the bathroom is secured so good I was shocked! Screws in every shelf in rear and on sides. There is a false panel I found on the bottom shelf. Take it off and there are two more screws under it!
2) The cut out the factory made for the shower drain (in the OSB base under the pan) was way to big, that's why we had such bad sagging when we stood there.
3) The shower walls are double back taped on, and poorly installed. Then the caulking they did was minimal and had failed. I noticed water run spots behind the shower walls when I removed them.
4) I will try and improve the toilet seal when I re install the toilet. We already had a leak into the under belly once, and after removing the toilet I found the seal was not good.
5) When I bought the unit they touted the extra support in the wall for a TV for the bedroom. Well it's there, but not extra studs vertically as I thought. There is backing from ceiling 18" down.

Here is a bounty of photos from the Demo yesterday.
34596744969f3a0556d505701d38c3c6.jpg
41dc5823c363be95e5410542a9de9e30.jpg
201b36fed00967e4d5996120693ce8ee.jpg
a21b00118f56c8766996070c00e06d73.jpg
1068bb094675ee425d84d2a0e7edfdd2.jpg
7c0cfcb04d18a7c6735c832642e4ddc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyandGenee

Day 2:
Got the new plywood sub deck completed and got the plumbing extended to meet the new drain location. That took a surprisingly long time! Most of the paneling came loose when I removed the old shower doors so I used 1" drywall screws to secure it all. Got the pan set and screwed in. New front panel installed. Then two coats of Hydroban Water proofing! Technically I could take a shower tomorrow but I think I will wait until I get the stone up. oh, BTW, I now own the $70 tool for the crimp connections for the potable water pipes. Decided that would be a wise tool to have in the basement just in case!
1b2adfa47cedea47c41ce41c13632473.jpg
bba3155107c620583108b51f05270649.jpg
43707ec0d8c77f9b450dde5b45c31c69.jpg
6711154813789823d3232d2a22f31f1d.jpg
bbb35ea1ed7d2674fa106ca6ba6ebe31.jpg

Greggshere

Wow! Looking good. what is the metal vent looking thingy on the RH side floor, and did you leave that in place? Does your pan support floor go over that? Which panels came loose that you needed the one inch drywall screws in again? Where did you find such a perfect fit shower pan? Sorry for all the questions but the wife might want me to do this once she sees it. :rolleyes: Also I'm wondering a bit about the TV support, I'm not quite following the tape exactly.

BobbyandGenee

That "vent" is actually the top of the wheel well! So yeah, I though leaving it there would be a good idea.
The wheel well was exactly 4" high, so I set the corner right on top and built 4" legs to level out and support the rest of the base.
The panels that came loose were all the panels behind the shower walls. When removing the shower walls the double back tape stuck so good the panels came loose. It does not look like there was any glue put on the wall panels, they are just attached with tiny staples.
Furiius10 actually did this first and I got the idea from them. Lippert sells the pan for 226, but it will cost you 200 for the shipping!
The TV backing was attached to the stud that is 21" from the door. The backing goes all the way to the outside wall. The backing also is from the ceiling to approx 19" below the ceiling. I did not remove any panels, this is all based on stud finder and when I put the screws in.
On a side note, if you did this and resecure with screws, on the right side of the valve is a stud, but the stud finder makes it look like it's doubled up. Don't be fooled, it's actually the abs vent pipe next to the stud!

Greggshere

That "vent" is actually the top of the wheel well! So yeah, I though leaving it there would be a good idea.
The wheel well was exactly 4" high, so I set the corner right on top and built 4" legs to level out and support the rest of the base.
The panels that came loose were all the panels behind the shower walls. When removing the shower walls the double back tape stuck so good the panels came loose. It does not look like there was any glue put on the wall panels, they are just attached with tiny staples.
Furiius10 actually did this first and I got the idea from them. Lippert sells the pan for 226, but it will cost you 200 for the shipping!
The TV backing was attached to the stud that is 21" from the door. The backing goes all the way to the outside wall. The backing also is from the ceiling to approx 19" below the ceiling. I did not remove any panels, this is all based on stud finder and when I put the screws in.
On a side note, if you did this and resecure with screws, on the right side of the valve is a stud, but the stud finder makes it look like it's doubled up. Don't be fooled, it's actually the abs vent pipe next to the stud!

Well ok then, the wheel well, that's funny. Heh Heh thanks for the clarification on everything, greatly appreciated. I'm watching your remodel with great anticipation. I'm curious how you are going to deal with the curved wall behind the toilet.

Greggshere

Bobby are those a like vinyl panel that looks like stone? Now I see how it will work on the curved wall. I like it!

BobbyandGenee

Yes but they are stone. Look then up on the internet. Here is what the curved wall looks like!
82130f5fc7a1fd1845c6032125099ee1.jpg

BobbyandGenee

And then we were done! Just need to get some colored silicone caulk and do the corners!
eac4d439d737faab813135042a1d3af3.jpg

BobbyandGenee

Thanks! This new product seems like it will works well with the RV. It's real stone, but each 2'x4' piece is only 1lb. And because it is super thin and flexible, it curved to the walls and should stick to the walls that are "flimsy". Going to road test it next week!

BobbyandGenee

Well that's it! All done! Put the new faucet, shower arm, and shower rod in. Standing in the shower is AMAZING now! Plenty of space! That curved rod made a huge difference!
d3065c8af749ff46444435b407b02f44.jpg
f949e3cb85ddc9c98cd06b98ba7b7271.jpg

BobbyandGenee

Thanks! We are anxious to use it! The Heartland Rally in Jackson is in two weeks. We are going to that. So that will probably be our first use of it. But if we didn't do anything else to the RV, I think that one project was worth every penny!