What to do first?

BusManRG

We have a list of four somewhat major (to us) upgrades we would like to do to the truck and trailer. Trying to do one every six to 12 months. So I asked Hubby this morning what he would like to plan for next. He really would like a larger fuel tank. Our 2013 Ford F350 only has a 27 gallon tank. There have been a couple of times trying to find fuel along our route was a pain. Not impossible, just a pain. But then after a minute he said you know adding the extra weight of the fuel will probably mean we will need those airbags sooner than later. So he plans to do some calculations based on the specs from the brochure. But I thought I would just throw this out there to all of you who carry extra fuel or have larger OEM thanks. Did the extra weight necessitate airbags? And just for the record, airbags are on our list of future upgrades. Also on the list are a trailair pin box and a cover for the truck bed. In other words, don't be surprised if you see someone poking around your pin box or your truck bed at the Jackson Rally at the end of the month, LOL!!

'Lil Guy'

Of those wish list items the fuel tank would be my 1st choice. I added the 50 gal tank to my bed. Nice to have the range and making it easy to get fuel at a more opportune time.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You do need to consider the weight of the tank, and the weight of the fuel. These will go against your payload capacity of your truck and it's GVWR.

Weighed at Goshen we were within specs with our Dually, but our 100 gallon tank was almost empty. That means that loaded with fuel we will be over, at least for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Of those wish list items the fuel tank would be my 1st choice. I added the 50 gal tank to my bed. Nice to have the range and making it easy to get fuel at a more opportune time.

I agree with Frank. You have two options. Replace the OEM tank with a larger one. Two or three manufacturers make a fifty gallon tank. I replaced the 27 gallon OEM tank in my F250 with a Transferflo fifty gallon tank. You can update the capacity in the software so your miles to empty and other fuel values are calculated using the new tank capacity. I chose Transferflo because that is what my local ford accessories dealer carries. Cost about a thousand bucks including freight for the tank and installation.

The second option is an in-bed auxiliary tank. There's a lot of different sizes and combinations, so you just have to decide what you want. Note, you mentioned a bed cover so if you opt for the auxiliary tank, make sure you select one that will fit low enough in your truck bed to allow for the cover.

Oregon_Camper

I have done 3 of those (tank, airbags and cover)

I went with a 45 gallon, under rail auxiliary tank and LOVE it. I would then add the bed cover and install yourself. Our took way less than 30 mins to install...very easy. Finally, I'd add the air bags. They were a great addition to our truck, but I felt it was more of a "nice to have" (better ride...less chucking) vs a "must have" item.

'Lil Guy'

I have the in bed transferflo w/pump. Use it to fill my tractor also. 50 gal. I had a set of airbags but the timken rubber jousts are cheaper and better imo. The are about 3/8" off frame. Don't come into play until there is a load to drop the truck that much. Stock ride w/o load. Again. Jmo

BusManRG

We have a list of four somewhat major (to us) upgrades we would like to do to the truck and trailer. Trying to do one every six to 12 months. So I asked Hubby this morning what he would like to plan for next. He really would like a larger fuel tank. Our 2013 Ford F350 only has a 27 gallon tank. There have been a couple of times trying to find fuel along our route was a pain. Not impossible, just a pain. But then after a minute he said you know adding the extra weight of the fuel will probably mean we will need those airbags sooner than later. So he plans to do some calculations based on the specs from the brochure. But I thought I would just throw this out there to all of you who carry extra fuel or have larger OEM thanks. Did the extra weight necessitate airbags? And just for the record, airbags are on our list of future upgrades. Also on the list are a trailair pin box and a cover for the truck bed. In other words, don't be surprised if you see someone poking around your pin box or your truck bed at the Jackson Rally at the end of the month, LOL!!

Oops! I should have had disc brakes on our list just in the interest of full disclosure!

Gaffer

Go to Chico and get the replacement tank installed at the factory. Jackson is not all that far away.

hoefler

We have a 75 gallon transfer tank, giving me around 110 gallons total. That equates to 900-1100 mile range depending on terrain. I don't have air bags and do not plan on installing them. I have had 3 trucks with this tank and trailer, and never had air bags or feel like I needed them.

I would add the disc brakes first then the fuel tank.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
I would add the auxiliary fuel tank as the first item.

My truck has a native fuel capacity of 35 gallons, and I added a 51 gallon aux tank.

It is SO much less stressful to know I have an 800+ mile range, as opposed to needing to start watching for fuel around noon each day.

Our usual habit now is to refuel at noon on the second day of travel, then in the evening on the third day of travel, then noon again on the fifth day of travel! (We can modify that schedule, as opportunity arises, but beats "watching the fuel gauge all day, every day!)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yep not having to pull a trailer into a fuel stop is almost as valuable as gold. If you can stay within your load limits, do it!

We had a Dually with a 26 gallon tank. We were looking for fuel every 3 hours it seemed like! We'd use trucker lanes at truck stops, but I'd have to run in to get the pump started and often give them my credit card so hubby could fuel. PITA!
No more. 115 gallon tank holds 100 gallons, plus 30 something in the Regular tank (different Dually, same exterior tank.) We got a deal on a used tank, that's the only reason we have this big'un.

BusManRG

Thank you for the comments! I knew I'd get good feedback here 😊. We're hoping we can do the fuel tank before Christmas and it sounds like/looks like we won't need to worry about airbags for a while. Hoping that disc brakes will be available at the regional rally next September (2018) and we'll take advantage of any rally specials. Now if I win the lotto anytime soon, you'll see that entire list to get wiped out !😂😂

avvidclif

My first step would be to weigh the setup while loaded up and headed out to go camping, full of fuel and whatever you carry in the RV. From that you can determine how much payload you have left which will determine how big of a tank you can buy. A lot of the responders have duallys which lets them get a bigger tank than your SRW will handle. Airbags are nice but do not increase the load capacity, they just level the rig. Usually the limiting factor is the tires, was in my case. I just carry 2 5gal cans in the bed, that gives me 100mi if needed and I usually don't go over 250/day.

dykesj11

I put in a Titan 60 gallon midship tank (replaces stock tank). Stock was 37 so when full, it only added around 175 lbs to VW. If you add a 50-100 gallon aux tank, you are adding 375-750 lbs when full. I'd recommend the largest tank you can get while staying within the truck GVWR (loaded vehicle, passengers, and tongue weight). I get a minimum of 450 miles out of my 60g tank. If I have to drive more than 300 miles in a day, I'm contankerous so it works for us. Regardless, don't ignore the GVWR. I have air bags but they just make for better ride, they don't increase GVWR nor do tires. As for priority, I suggest disc brakes are a safety upgrade, tank upgrade avoids annoyance of fuel search and more frequent stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love having the extra fuel. One you have it you can't live without it. It's nice not worrying about fuel. We're weekend campers not full timers. So it's really nice to leave for a long weekend and know you don't have to worry about fuel while you're out.

Oregon_Camper

I love having the extra fuel. One you have it you can't live without it. It's nice not worrying about fuel. We're weekend campers not full timers. So it's really nice to leave for a long weekend and know you don't have to worry about fuel while you're out.

Couldn't agree more. We can leave from home (Beaverton) and head over to Central Oregon and come back....without ever having to get fuel. Soooo nice!!!

carl.swoyer

I've been noticing truck Lane's are sometimes 12 to 15 cents higher than the regular lanes. While scouting out fill stations if it's easy to pull thru the regular pump I've been doing so.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk