Where were you on 9-11-2001?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Where were you? I had just gone to work for the city of Missouri City and had just come back in from the field. I had been listening to the radio and was aware of the attack and while walking through the break room, I stopped to watch the television as the second attack occurred. I watched in horror for a few moments and when I turned around, there was the City Manager, also watching. I said something like "man. I can't believe this" before retreating to my desk to get back to work.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Working in Somerset PA. About 10 minutes from Shanksville. Flight 93. We released a few of our employees, who were volunteer firemen, to go to the crash site.

porthole

Retired
Acting Captain Station 5, Engine 11 & Truck 2
We are just under 21 miles line of site from Ground Zero with a listed target (at the time) in the center our town.

RonTimmer

I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca training initial entry interrogators, I had just finished giving a group of them a PT test. I immediately contacted my assignments manager to see how quickly they could get me out of the instructor slot I was in and back to the 82nd ABN.

olcoon

I was enroute to the radio shop to get the radio in my patrol car worked on. Didn't know anything about it until I walked into the shop & didn't see anyone. Started looking around & found everyone in the break room. Got there in time to see the 2nd plane hit the building. Was shocked to see that!!! My first thought was to head to the Navy recruiter & sign up, then realized that I was too old & they wouldn't want me.

A sad day, and what surprises me is that there are a lot of people that have forgotten how they felt that day, and stick their heads in the sand & ignore it. Myself, I'll never forgive the people responsible, or the people who tend to ignore it...that's for God to do, I can't bring myself to do it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I was 31, driving in to work to Dallas, TX a 26 mile, 45-50 minute (one-way commute). I listen to the radio on my drive in, to a popular morning show that does a lot of comedy. When the first report came in, they relayed it like a typical breaking news story. But then, the tone turned much more serious, as more facts were disclosed. I was almost to work when the second plane hit. I got into the office, and everyone was looking online for the news and images. Someone that lived nearby brought a small TV up, and we were glued to the set or online the rest of the day. I remember feeling very disconnected from my husband at the time, being 26 miles from home in a major city. The lack of airplanes in the sky later that day and the following days was VERY noticeable. I still get choked up about it, thinking how vulnerable I felt that day.

plshilo

I was & still am working for the Florida DOT, and was headed to our weigh station in the Key's. I was driving down the Florida Turnpike when came over all the radio stations. So stopped to see it on the tv's at one of the rest areas. We where put On-Call as was All Law Enforcement agencies till we knew what had happen.

DavidCraker

I was active duty Air Force, we were flying a 6 ship C-130 formation around Arkansas, when we received a VHF radio call for all Little Rock AFB aircraft to RTB (return to base). It wasn't until we landed and got inside the squadron, that we noticed everyone huddled around watching the tv, that's when it sank in what happened. Truly a sad day in American history.

kowAlski631

Driving by myself from Georgia to Maryland. Listening to the radio when a news flash came on. My husband was in and out of the Pentagon every week and I had no idea where he was. I had a car phone and couldn't get a line through, so pulled onto the shoulder of I-40 east of Knoxville. After a few minutes, a Tennessee State Trooper appeared at my door, asking me what was wrong. I was crying by that point and he told me to open the passenger door. After he heard that I couldn't locate my husband, he held my hand and we prayed together for his safety and the safety of America. When the prayer ended, I tried my husband's office again and this time his assistant answered and rushed the phone to him. A normal 11 hour trip took me 16 hours since I went back roads. I don't know the name of the Trooper, but his kindness has never been forgotten.

Martha

Dumboldles

I was a high school teacher at a school in the Palm Springs area of California. The school had a 20 minute morning break, when a student came into my class to let me know what had just happened in NYC. I knew attempting to continue a normal day wasn't going to happen...so we watched the news reports. I tried to be the knowledgeable adult but I didn't have a clue to what was going on. I was also at the time an Army Reserve senior NCO and, in the back of my mind, if this would mean a call up to active duty.

Dumboldles

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I was telling my wife about some of the responses to this thread and she reminded me that she had to fly from Houston to a training site Minnesota the next weekend. We seldom flew anywhere, but this time was a real nerve wracker! I had forgotten about this.

Oldelevatorman

I was just waking up in a motel in Oakland, CA getting ready for work. Lived in Sacramento but would stay down a couple times a week to break up the driving, 180 miles round trip. I was in the elevator business so I immediately thought of how many men would be assigned to those 2 towers. Turns out there were dozens of them but they were offsite at a safety meeting that morning. We did lose one brother who was an emt and had gone in to help with the rescue efforts. His name is on the memorial. 'Charles Costello'! A day no one should never forget and may all their souls continue to Rest in Peace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I was working my first job out of college in Baton Rouge. The office was just me and my boss and I was only one there listening to Walton & Johnson doing some irrelevant humor when all of a sudden they got serious and started talking about what was happening and then local radio broke in and I listened to that all day in my office. I remember going out to eat that night at the Bennigans by the Mall of Louisiana and how somber the mood was. Also remember how patriotic everyone was right after that and now amazed at how many have forgotten this.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Being the registrar for the Boy Scouts of America Smoky Mountain Council in Knoxville TN, we all stopped everything we were doing and watched the Today Show coverage of this horrible event. The visions of the Towers falling still haunts me today.

Oregon_Camper

I was a high school teacher at a school in the Palm Springs area of California. The school had a 20 minute morning break, when a student came into my class to let me know what had just happened in NYC. I knew attempting to continue a normal day wasn't going to happen...so we watched the news reports. I tried to be the knowledgeable adult but I didn't have a clue to what was going on. I was also at the time an Army Reserve senior NCO and, in the back of my mind, if this would mean a call up to active duty.

Dumboldles

What time does school start in California? First strike was 5:46am and second was 6:03am (PST)

Dumboldles

What time does school start in California? First strike was 5:46am and second was 6:03am (PST)

Yea, school started at 8 but I had first period as my preparation period that was followed by the 20 min break, so my first classes started at 9:30. I focused on preparing for my classes...no radio or tv. Like mentioned in original post, a student came into my classroom to inform me and to turn the tv on.

Dumboldles

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had driven to Pontiac from Flint for a staff meeting. Came out of the meeting and saw a bunch of people staring at TV's in a common area. Just in time to see the second plane hit the WTC. Raced back to Flint and spent the rest of the day trying to find out if either my USAF Reserve unit or my FD USAR team was going to get activated. Both were on standby but neither got mobilized.

dykesj11

My wife and I were getting, she for work, me for jury duty. Turned on the news after the first tower but before the second. Kind of dumbfounded that a commercial airliner could hit a building but after the second hit, it didn't take long for news to call it a terrorist attack. My son and I were both reporting to jury duty. We got there but they sent everyone home and secured the courthouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chpusmc

I was working as a manager in training at Staples in San Clemente, CA with three (3) days left on my enlistment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk