2009 Heartland Big Horn 3400RE Warranty Repair Issues

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Just so you know that HL Warranty tries to work with you, called Garry one of the warranty service guys. Gave him a list of problems arising from our 32 day shakedown cruise to 10 states. The following are the kind of problems we had:
fantastic fans (both) inop on remote; align cabinet doors over micro(check all doors in coach for alignment);D/S slide facia loose; pass thru door fell off-scratches on door so must replace; gray and black tanks reading full when empty; crack in wood behind fire extinguisher mount-repair; low a/c flow to bedroom; lower window in dinette area hard to operate and not level; flange around pin cushion missing; lower coach covering billows under bedroom especially when driving; porch light inop; exterior storage catch missing; shower head wont stay up; scratches in cabinet doors-check all; ceiling fan makes noise while operating; closet door wont stay shut; front recliner won't retract easily; passenger slide needs adjusting; adjust all shades, many broken; screen door won't catch easily; passenger side of toilet area, see light from storage area; soap dish in shower broken; surround sound one speaker not working; tears in compartment door seals; bends in compartment door seals; bends in compartment door inner frames. screen door frame not in place; kitchen faucet leaks; grey tank #1 pull cable rusty, hard to pull; one of the drop leg feet are bent; front cap seal damaged from hitting truck rails; trailer too close to hitch-adjust pin box. WHEW! I probabably left out a few things but other than the damage to the truck rails and the underbelly where it scraped, Heartland is allowing a local repair shop fix everything under warranty. They are blaming and holding accountable the dealer (Clovis RV) for the pin box adjustment and truck rail damage as they should have mounted them properly, when i picked up the rig. The question is what will Clovis offer to do as they are a 7 hour drive away or will they just blow me off. Will keep everyone informed. Garry at Heartland OK's the job in 2 days from submission. I am so far impressed.

Larryheadhunter

Well fellow Heartland Owners: I thought I would get some warranty repair work done before my one year was up, so I had my dealer pick up the RV and submit about 25 minor issues and a few major ones. They denied all but a couple.
Even the broken vaccuum cleaner was declined. Rear speaker in bedroom not working declined. Flange around hitch pin cushion not sealed was declined. Scratches and dents noted in original PDI declined. I guess the economic recession has resulted in a lot of no fixes under warranty. I am very disappointed.
The dealer is very happy to do the maintenance issues without problem because I get to pay them for it and rightly so. I never thought Heartland would blow me off on some issues that need fixing. The dealer is resubmitting some of the problems. I hope Heartland is listening.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lar, did Heartland decline the repairs or the dealer. I do know that some trim items are not covered for 1 year. The items that were on the PDI list need to be repaired either by the dealer or Heartland. Call Jim Fenner and discuss it with him. Bob:D

Larryheadhunter

Hi Bobbo,
Thanks for reading about my woes. We sent an email to the dealer who was happy to do all the repairs under warranty, if Heartland approved. They personally went to my rig and couldn't duplicate some of the items, but resubmitted the ones they could. The vac repair was declined or the speaker in the bedroom has no sound so it shouldn't be covered? Give me a break. They blamed the loose recliner handles on the mfg and told me to go to them for that item as well as others. They blamed scratches and dents that were visible upon original inspection PDI the cost of doing business, and wouldn't be responsible. I will fight for my rights, but I have only been a positive owner in all my posts. I am going to call them today with my list, and hope to reason with them. The day the warranty expires they don't even know who u are. No prob, I will deal with that as I love my rig. LOVE MY RIG! Thanks always for the sage advice, sir. You can email or call if u have any suggestions. I don't want to air dirty laundry on this forum if I don't have to, as they have fixed many items on the original list with good intent. The part I don't understand is stuff like the cracked and missing wood behind the fire extinguisher needs fixing. As time goes by the crack will spread. Guess who will be responsible?
Here is the list I submitted with their response:
Under warranty, the following need repair or replacement:
1. My surround sound doesn't work properly and needs adjusting as well as the speakers need calibrating.-dealer said couldn't duplicate, Do I need an FM antenna as I don't get many stations and I wasn't sure if the antenna outside is for that purpose.-no answer
2. Rear speaker in bedroom doesn't work at all.-declined, dealer resubmitting
3. Middle drawer of dresser in bedroom has dent.-blamed it on me although we didn't do it. They did the PDI in the darkest area they could find. Was dented there from day one.
4. Dinette set extension very difficult to operate and isn't level when utilized. May need replacement.-couldn't duplicate, tell that to my fingers.
5. cables for black water and grey water one and two are difficult to operate, not smooth and need to be replaced or repaired.-didn't respond, but when they break, I will be in big trouble.
6. Gray and black tank sensors reading 2/3 or full. When Rick's fixed the sewage smell, they said the valve was shut, they told me even though I thoroughly sani-flushed the black tank, there seems to be alot of sludge remaining. I treat the black tank with enzymes, calgon, detergent, nothing seems to work.-will cover I think.
7. Upon initial delivery of vehicle at PDI outlet, while Mike Golding and Red were hitching for the first time, they bent the pull pins to drop front legs on the frame. Need to be replaced.-no response
8. Make sure there is a tool to remove spare tire. Couldn't find it.- said dealers responsibility but no answer yet. Saw this problem on the forum and can't find the tool.
9. Both recliner handles need to be tightened or repaired as it is difficult to open and close recliners.-refused
9. Flange around pin box that was missing from delivery, that was sent by Heartland is either the wrong size, or needs to be resealed.-declined even though one can see it is either the wrong size or needs to be resealed.
10.Scratches on wood inside (in the PDI), need to be fixed.-said wouldn't repair
11. Had a problem one day during sani flush, where water came out from under floor panel from in between the bathroom and the wood wall separating bathroom from kitchen area. Someone mentioned it could be a problematic anti-siphon valve. Please repair.-said covered, and I suspect it was the anti-siphon valve, but if they can't duplicate, won't fix. When I have my next flood, I will have to pay for repair.
12. Tears in compartment door seals.-vague about responsibility
13. Bends in compartment door inner frames.-not sure
14. Kitchen faucet drips on occaision. -will cover
15. Crack in wood behind fire extinguisher mount. Remove mount to see.-sorry Charlie
16. Vacuum on step to bedroom inoperable. Fix or replace.-ignored, but dealer resubmitted
17. Missing several wood pegs around dinette and fireplace.-dealer said magically reappeared.
18. Slides not opening or closing in a timely manner and probably need adjusting and they are sometimes not even when out.-dealer couldn't duplicate, so hopefully they will go with me on my next trip and see for themselves lol
19.Storage compartment that has the UDC needs latch to stay open, as it is next to propane compartment. Maybe a latch like what the front door uses as it slaps me on the rear when it is open and a little windy.-new 2010's fixed that flaw.
20. Screen door is hard to latch and needs adjusting.-not covered, but no big deal.
21. My wife is having difficulty with the convection part of the microwave oven.-didn't respond at all. Couldn't even use the convection oven for a baked potato. Those Apollo ovens aren't the greatest.
Just think if I was mechanical or electrical I probably could find more problems. I wouldn't know a technical problem if it was staring me in the face.
The squeakiness of the rig I guess happens to everyone. Svc Mgr great guy and will be happy to do required maintenance for hourly rate which is fair.
Some of the problematic items seem trivial, but if they break will be major. Why not get them fixed under warranty? Extended warranty sold to me by dealer Phoenix American isn't even on the list at Camping World which the finance mgr of dealer said was impossible.

layedback

Bill and Lena
A Lemon

All of the bighorn owners I talk to dearly love their units. I was beginning to think that I was all alone in getting a Lemon.
We have had our fifth wheel almost a year and every day something else goes awry. We still have a leak that was suppoed to be fixed.

In short, we took our unit in to heartland repair people and the fixed over four pages of write ups.
I also have fixed over two pages of problems myself. I have had leaks in various places ,cracks at the slide out ,corrosion, improper tires,etc.
we wrote to the CEOs but only got a call from warranty people.
Some items are repeat that have supposedly been repaired.
Glad to know we have company in misery.
Unhappy camper.

Bob&Patty

Lar, like I said somethings don't have a 1 year warrentee. Check with Lippert about the slides, they may have a 5 yr warrentee. Now as to the PDI list of repair's. If they are noted on the original PDI as needing repair. They have to repair them. If they refuse, then you call the B.A.R (Bureau of Automative Repair) and sic them on Clovis. Make sure you have the original documentation from Clovis noting all the repairs that they agreed to repair at a later date after you took delivery. You want Patty to call them?? Nothing worse that a mad redhead.:mad::mad::eek:

Larryheadhunter

First let me set u straight layedback. I don't have a lemon. Normally Heartland warranty folks get it fixed right. Because I was so close to my one year warranty expiration, I don't know but will find out why they won't pay for legitimate repairs. You have had a tough time but I love my Bighorn, just want it to work right, and I am not mechanical.

Larryheadhunter

Update: Chris from Heartland Warranty called yesterday to soothe my feelings, and try to set things right. He has now approved working on the rear speaker and on the vaccuum, as well as kindly giving the ok to fix items that weren't fixed correctly by a repair shop first that they had paid them for. They are also going to check out the convection oven, as well as listening and giving me good advice. The only issue that I am bothered with is the flange problem. Heartland sent a pin cushion flange that wasn't on the RV at time of sale. It doesn't fit properly so we are in discussion how to seal it up. I hope we can clear this issue. Other than that he is in personal contact with Clovis Rv, and their RV outlets for less in Fresno to make sure the repairs are done correctly. SWEET! Thanks Chris for the call, I appreciate it. That is service. Will keep folks appraised as we move along. FYI, the warranty people monitor this forum or I wouldn't have gotten the call from Chris.

mikenjulie

I have a question on the one year warranty. Does it begin the day you buy your rig or begin the day you complete your PDI and given the keys? I believe it would be the day you complete your PDI and given the keys.

Bob&Patty

Mikenjulie, the day you sign the papers and drive it off the lot as far as I know. BTW, there are some things that are more that 1 year. The frame, unless things have changed, is 5 years. Have the dealer at PDI tell what the warrenty is on all the stuff. Write it all down.

Bob:D

Larryheadhunter

Mikenjulie,
The day you pay for your rig, is the first day of your warranty as explained to me by Chris a warranty service person. For your own best interests, when you have your PDI, make sure everything that is not up to standards be written down and signed by both u and your dealer. If you don't note scratches, or dents during the PDI, it is very difficult to prove it happened before you drove it off the lot. Everything else that fails or breaks, the Heartland Warranty department tries their best to assist you to your satisfaction. Make sure your PDI is done in a well lit area, and take your time learning all you can.

Find yourself some friends and mentors in this forum like Bob and Patty, and you will learn the secrets of the game. I think my mentor list is up to 10 and counting.

mikenjulie

The day the payment is made makes sense but everyone knows it takes the dealers a while to prep the new rig.

We bought ours the middle of March 2008 but we didn't receive our rig until April 2nd. (Clovis RV/RV Outlet in Fresno was very busy).

Our friends bought theirs at the same time but had to wait until May 2nd for theirs to arrive. We did use the buddy system on our PDI's so we could split up and check everything. 4 people can cover a lot of ground during a PDI. I did learn to pull the plastic off of the refrigerator door because that hides small dents. Oh well live and learn.

We are very happy with our Landmarks.

Thank you for the good tips!

Larryheadhunter

Mikenjulie,
We also bought our Bighorn at Clovis RV and had our PDI at their RV Outlets for Less location. Since we had originally selected our vehicle at the Pomona RV show, we didn't put any down payment down, so when we drove up to Fresno to pick it up, we met with John Black, our salesman and mgr, wrote a check, did our PDI, poorly I may add, and drove off into the sunset. But that's another story for another time.
If I understand you correctly I assume you made the final payment then picked up your rig. That is the day your warranty begins as I see it.

Labatdorf

I am in the same boat, I hope that Heartland is listening also. I have only a couple of weeks left and have some work to be done on my Bighorn 3370 and was told they would not do any work becouse Hartland has not paid them for the work they have done on other units.
Last week we used our camper and the slide bracket broke. I had to weld the bracket myself to get the slide in.
I would like it replaced. Still haveing the problem of the slide comming open while going down the road.
At the end of my rope. Don't know what we can do. We thought we were buying a great unit but have had quit a few problems with it.

Larry and Dora

Bob&Patty

Larry, have you been in contact with the Heartland factory or just the dealer? You need the call Jim Fenner and talk to him. I may be out of line, but your dealer used the excuse that Heartland doesn't pay there bills? Sorry, but I question that. Sounds like a ploy not to work on your coach. Most of the time they don't get payed because their paperwork was wrong or they didn't get authorization to do the repair 1st. Anyway call Fenner and have all you information handy. You will get a straight answer on what is going on. 2 cts--Bob:D