Need details on Timk "Tent in a Vent" modification

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
anyone who can explain in layman terms the "tent in the vent" concept i would appreciate it. I have my rig in for warranty repairs, and i could probably pay them a little extra, to utilize that idea, especially if it cools off the bedroom on hot nights. and the idea of adding extra vents is intriguing tho seems like a little over kill. open for any suggestions to improve my rig. also planning to get the JT stabilizers for front and rear, and was deciding if i needed rotochocks like Jimbo suggested or these scissor type holders that Forrest suggested. I am definitely having stabilizing problems that I am trying to correct.

Tom of Ypsi

The stabilizers do make a big difference and are easy to install. I use the scissors type holders and they seem to work ok.
For the tent in the vent do a search on that subject or air condition vent. Easy to do and you do not have to pay someone the enormous labor charge but since you are in for warranty work maybe they can tack that cost onto something else if warranty will not cover it.

jbeletti

Larry,

Here's a link to a post I made with a few pictures. Print them all off and show them to your dealer. Maybe they can fab something for you. Takes only a few minutes.

That said, as a dealer, I probably would not do this for a customer unless his unit was fully out-of-warranty - just for liability reasons. Probably no reason this mod would cause any issues, but risk management being what it is, most dealers will likely pass.

Maybe you can pay the rest of us, say $500 at the Vegas rally to fashion a tent out of a beer can for you :p

Seriously, it's pretty easy to do but you will need some sheet metal, metal shears, flashing tape and 4 screws for my version. Others have made theirs from cardboard wrapped with flashing tape. Many options.

Jim

Last edited: