Hard Wired Surge Protector Location

BigGuy82

Well, I have left yet another $150 "dogbone" style surge protector at a campground. In order to avoid insanity by doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, I've decided to do a hard wired protector. As shown in my sig block, I have a Bighorn - for those of you who have done this mod, where did you wind up locating the surge protector?

SNOKING

I put our PI in the dungeon behind the panel in the belly storage area. I was able to get the cable for the remote up the wall to the switch cabinet. Chris

SNOKING

I put our PI in the dungeon behind the panel in the belly storage area. I was able to get the cable for the remote up the wall to the switch cabinet. Chris

If your electric panel and switch center/panel is in this cabinet that backs up the to bathroom, it should be a similar project.

phoca_thumb_l_2014f_bh_3010re_22.jpg

This is the 50 amp unit that I installed.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-...5587966&sr=1-8&keywords=50+rv+surge+protector

Chris

CoveredWagon

Well, I have left yet another $150 "dogbone" style surge protector at a campground. In order to avoid insanity by doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, I've decided to do a hard wired protector. As shown in my sig block, I have a Bighorn - for those of you who have done this mod, where did you wind up locating the surge protector?

We have a 3270 RS, I believe yours is very similar. Where the fuse box and circuit breaker panel are located at the bottom of the of a cabinet, there is a blank panel in the cabinet next to it. That panel is held in with a few staples. I removed the circuit breaker panel and popped out the blank panel from behind. I mounted the surge protector to floor and the routed the remote to the light switch panel above. IMG_0149.jpgIMG_0151.jpg

olcoon

I mounted ours next to the converter. Less wires to run! While mounting it, I also protected it from getting water on it in case of a future leak, and took zip ties, and zip tied the plug for the converter in to the socket, so it wouldn't vibrate loose. On ours the power converter is located at the back side of the breaker box. I also ran the readout to into the control panel with the light switches, tank readouts, etc.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If you can locate it near the circuit breaker panel and install without cutting the main supply cord you'll have the option of removing it without splicing in new wire should you ever move on to another RV.

avvidclif

Don't know if it would apply in your case but I have a generator with a transfer switch. I mounted it on top of the transfer switch. Power cable in and a short jumper out the to transfer switch. If removed just move the power cable back to original location and remove surge protector with jumper.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I mounted both the surge suppressor and converter to a piece of plywood I attached to the frame for the bedroom steps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

OK - so I'm finally getting around to this project. I selected a Surge Guard 35550 with remote display. I've got a question.

I have an Onan generator. Looking at the diagram below, it seems to me that if I go with the "alternate" schematic on the right side (below), I would just come into the circuit right behind the power panel on the coach and merely install the protector in line with the transfer switch wire into the panel. Does anyone see any problems with this? Is there an advantage coming in before the transfer switch?

Connections.jpg

SNOKING

PI's instructions are to put it ahead of the transfer switch in the shore power lead. I guess that they are concerned about the quality of the power output of the generator. My concern would be if I had a transfer switch that it could loose neutral and the PI would not provide protection. However this gets into really technical stuff, as maybe the PI would still sense nothing coming back on neutral while on shore power and shutdown. However neutral only carries the different between the legs. Output from the generator would not be protected however. Chris