Cooking/eating

Pokiejoe

Hi,
Just wondering how many of you use your stove/oven or do you use something else? Also what do you cook/eat when out? I know at the rallies there is always yummy stuff but not for every meal. I get tired of just sandwiches or fast stuff and eating out. Just curious?

weekender01

We use our stove and oven every trip to cook. Typically we travel with friends so we actually eat better camping then we do at home. We do prep some meals at home to make it easier when at our campsite. We also usually cook biscuits, desserts and some meals in the oven and certainly use the stove for heating many items. The proteins are usually put on our Weber Q grill. Once you get used to cooking on the stove and oven it is really easy.

For us I prefer to eat at our campsite instead of going out. To each their own however.

Alan_B

We don't use the oven very often. Mostly cooktop, and then a grill and electric frypan outdoors.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi,
Just wondering how many of you use your stove/oven or do you use something else? Also what do you cook/eat when out? I know at the rallies there is always yummy stuff but not for every meal. I get tired of just sandwiches or fast stuff and eating out. Just curious?

Crock pot rules. You can put potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and frozen chicken breasts or pork chops, or steak covered with cream of celery soup. Start in the morning and let it cook all day on low and by 430-500pm you have a delicious meal. Spaghetti is another good option.

CDN

B and B
We cook regular meals. Nothing prepared all fresh on site. We use the oven for some things, 3 burner cooktop large electric griddle, waffle iron have a BBQ, pellet smoker and outdoor Coleman Propane stove and wood fire. We have cast iron dutch oven and cast iron frypans as well. Crockpot as mentioned above, good wet day or while out touring come home meals. Also a little rice cooker, makes just enough for two of us.

Things we cook

Frozen homemade burgers, steak, chops, chicken, stew, bacon, sausage, veggies, bread or rolls in the oven, desserts etc. On the smoker we usually do some brisket, pork side ribs pork roast. Breakfast is bacon in a fry pan on the Coleman and pancakes on the griddle or breakfast sausage on the BBQ and /or home fires (left over extra cooked from supper) potatoes in a fry-pan.

We seldom eat out, make our meals and limit prepared food to things like tortellini or perogies when weather is bad we can cook everything inside.

We eat well and money saved on eating out allows more camping!

olcoon

We use ours all the time, oven & cooktop. Especially if we aren't at an event, or traveling with someone. When we are on an extended trip, we'll have the same food/meals we have at home. We do use a crock pot, and have a propane grill. We'll stock up the fridge & pantry with food before we leave, then replenish on the road when needed. It's cheaper, and we'll have better food & don't have to worry about selecting a bad restaurant, or worry about what the kitchen/wait staff does to our food while out of sight.

Pokiejoe

Thanks for all of your replies. I love to cook/bake and do a lot of that at home since we live in rural area so no eating out for us much anyway. I do use my crockpot a lot so I will probably use it a lot while gone. I did purchase an electric griddle/grill and we've used it as well. Thanks again for your input...Safe travels

B

BouseBill

Being fulltimers........we use everything mentioned above;)

CoveredWagon

We / DW use it all, including the microwave / convection oven. We do our outdoor grilling on a George Forman grill.

I use the oven and stovetop every time we go camping. HINT: When using the oven, I preheat it for about 15 minutes. I asked for and got 4 pizza stones for Christmas a few years ago and they fit perfectly in the bottom of the oven. This equalizes the heat during the cooking process. I also have a oven thermometer in the back of the oven, which also helps. I add 10 minutes to the cooking time for each recipe. The last time I used the oven, I made muffins (which are extremely hard to do in an RV oven). By doing everything I mentioned above, they came out perfectly. They weren't burnt on the bottoms at all!

meri

Thank you for the tips on using the oven. I am trying to find appropriate cook/bake ware that will improve my results.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We use the stove and Half-time/Microwave oven, but have never used the gas oven. Wife likes to use her Ninja cooking pot, too. A lot of meals are also cooked on the grills outside by me while she prepares some side dishes inside.

Seren

Use the microwave/convection for all of our baking. Have never seen used the propane oven in the 3 1/2 yrs we have lived in our home (we full time). My wife wanted a portable propane stove to use outside when she cooks fish, so I bought an induction stove instead. She loves it so much that she almost never uses the propane stove and the induction stove stores perfectly inside the propane oven. Since we FT, have a residential refrigerator, and that my wife is a great cook, we rarely eat out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kowAlski631

Our BH is our rolling condo, so we cook every day when we're out. We make the same dishes as we do in the S&B. When baking, the best thing we've found are the baking pans we bought from Pampered Chef. They cook evenly.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
As others have said, we prepare in the BH many of the same dishes we make, and experiment with new ones, at home. We use the cook top, gas oven and convection oven sometimes. We grill a lot, just like home. Most times I'll cook greasy smelly foods outside just because odors seem to linger longer in the small space. We carry an electric skillet, crock pot, mini insta-pot. I still have our Coleman camp stove for outdoor cooking as well.
For us eating out is a treat, not a necessity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

In all my years in the Bighorn I have used the oven less than 5 times; not at all in the last 5 years. When I moved out of the house to fulltime we had a couple of crockpots (1 large and 1 small) and a countertop combination Convection/Rotisserie/Broiler oven something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton...onvection-and-Rotisserie-Model-31104/25576255 . I also bought a induction cooktop on Amazon for about $70, and finally I recently bought an electric pressure cooker that has a crockpot function which can also be used with my vacuum sealer as a Souvee cooker (look it up).

I use the microwave the most, followed by the propane cooktop, the convection oven/broiler, and the pressure cooker. The induction cooktop broke, and I don't plan to spend the money to replace it. I can probably throw out the crockpots.

BTW, being a single fulltimer, I really recommend the vacuum sealer system, especially if you have a larger freezer like I do. I use it most for taco meat, dividing up a 1 lb seasoned meat chub into 6 portions, each portion can make 3 tacos. The meat can be reheated from frozen in 90 seconds in the microwave. I also buy family packs of boneless sirloin pork chops to bake, or use in my asian stir fry's. These chops can be defrosted in the microwave, or 30 minutes in a bowl of water. I recently got a bargain on institutional sized cans of diced peaches ($3?) and was able to vacuum pack and freeze portion bags when I opened the large cans.

Last of all, in my "cooking" appliances is my tabletop icemaker. It frees up space in the freezer, works faster and better than the refrigerator icemaker, and there is no possible leaky water line to the freezer icemaker to worry about/maintain. I have even used it going down the road with my inverter power system.

sci-fi

An electric pressure cooker is handy, even if you're not a fulltimer. You can do ear of corn in them and those cobs come hot and moist throughout. Rice is easy! You can use them to keep things warm for a party, a Rally dinner, tailgater... Don't have to stand in front of a stove and mind a pot or pan. Set it and forget it until that beep!

mlpeloquin

Mentioning an ear of corn. We just put the ear of corn unshucked in the microwave. They steam up well and moist. Shuck, pull off the silk and butter. Won't boil, BBQ. or microwave an ear of corn again. Use the microwave, induction plate, BBQ, and sometimes the stove top. Never have we used the oven. I have used the Weber Q to roast a whole chicken. Use a aluminum pan with a small lift rack, oven thermometer, and prop the top up a little to adjust the temperature for roasting. Works well and doesn't heat the rig up in the summer.

When we are out exploring, we will eat out. I prefer home cooking.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We use the stove top, oven, electric skillet, cast iron dutch oven, crock pot, propane grill, and charcoal grill. We very seldom eat out. We do have some prepared stuff and generally use this when traveling and getting a quick meal when we stop for the night. This is normally when we are only staying one night at a campground. Otherwise we cook like we normally do at home.