Cable and antenna splitter problems

SLO

Over the two years we've had our Bighorn we've had problems with cable and antenna picture quality on living room TV ( we don't have satellite). Bedroom TV works fine. First time tightened all cable connection (most were loose). Finally bypassed splitter in cabinet above living TV and TV worked great. This past week living TV started acting up again. I ran a cable from bedroom TV connection to lining TV and living TV worked great, so I knew I had a cable problem. I knew there was another splitter behind basement wall. I bypassed this splitter and living TV works great. Question, do splitters just go bad and is there better quality splitters that don't go bad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GregP

Some years ago I was renovating my home and decided to add additional cable outlets in bedrooms and recreation areas while I had the walls opened up; pre-drywalling. This involved adding a number of splitters to the incoming cable at various locations, which were subsequently covered with drywall. I since learned that splitters are prone to failure and am not so smug about my wiring decisions. Any changes will require removal of drywall to access the splitters. I don't know if there are better splitters out there...this was just my experience at the time.

pegmikef

I have heard of diplexers going bad, but not a splitter. I is usually loose connections, or poor crimping on the cables. If your living room tv is in a slide, another place to look for a bad connection is the connector where the slide cable connects to the frame cable. This is usually under the corroplast on the other side of the frame beam. You can follow the slide cable to the point it goes under the covering. We have found several here with some kind of problem that affected the picture quality.

CDN

B and B
My money is on the slide cable. SOB i had had issues with it being pinched. Added a piece and replace the bad part.

As far as splitters, when you cascade them like Heartland does. Bedroom to basement split to entertainment center and then split between the TV and FM radio you have a lot of loss. I bypassed the basement splitter as I only use HDMI from the bedroom to the basement now, works much better on FM reception with less loss.

Brian

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Checking bad crimps as well as the coupler from the slide to the under body are good recommendations from previous posters.
I would also recommend that you remove the F connectors and check to be sure that there are no strands of shielding wire touching the center traveler.

Peace
Dave

CoveredWagon

I found the splitter behind the basement wall to be wired wrong. The orange input wire was attached to the output of the splitter etc. etc.

gotfooled

- - - Updated - - -

Splitters do cause problems, as per my cable provider, who came out to find my problem. Eliminating the splitter in basement made a great improvement. Cable provider wont chase the weak signal to my LR tv. They are not allowed to go into the bowels of the rv. If that's your only problem, consider yourself lucky.

Last edited: