New to 5th wheels - Want feedback on Bighorns

VAcop

I am in the market for one of these bighorn 5th wheels, but I have never pulled one, I do have a TT 28 foot, was wondering if any would like to tell me your thoughts about 5th wheels, both good and bad. Please be honest. I would like any and all imput.

Thanks

Our BH is 38' and weighs 16,000 lbs. We pull it with our Ford F-250. It has never given us a problem and we have been coast to coast over the Hoover Dam, the Poconos and the Appalachians.
Not sure about the TT

HappyKayakers

OK, I'll jump in. I had never pulled any type of trailer or 5er prior to purchasing our '06 BH 3600RL. DW was supposed to accompany me to the dealer but last minute work requirements snafu'd that. From the dealer's exit gate to the interstate ramp was about 1/4 mile. That's all the practice I got. The tech must've done a very good job adjusting the brake controller. And the combination of MorRyde suspension and Trailair pin box kept the ride very smooth.
As I was cruising through the middle of Kissimmee FL (on secondary roads, right outside Disney World), I just kept thinking that if my mirrors were fully inside the lane then so was the 5er. But it really looked huge in the rearviews.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just remember there is something back there and it does turn like you. It will track to the inside of a turn so you have to keep that in mind. If it is at all possible practice going straight and turning in a large parking lot. The other thing to keep is mind it a 5er is TALL. I remember watching a friend of mind practicing in an that had a low traffic light. You guessed it...he hit the traffic light putting a great big hole in the front cap. Trees are another issue. When traveling in a town I do not ride the curb lane if at all possible because of low tree branches that can damage the roof. Measure your height and then know it. Low bridges are another hazard. Good luck...

SmokeyBare

VaCop,

A Fifth Wheel hitch places the weight slightly ahead of the center of the Truck's rear axle which then slightly spreads that weight over the frame of that truck. This type of hitch does not require additional anti sway bars or equalizer bars to aid the towing of the Fifth Wheel Trailer. It pulls very smooth with little or no sway... even when being passed by Semi's pushing a wall of air with them.

A travel trailer hangs it's Hitch weight behind the rear bumper of a truck. The Travel trailer often requires additional help with equalizer bars attached to the hitch and the trailer... just to keep the vehicle stable from swaying while navigating down the highways.

I'd suggest you spend time going though the several posts on this Forum... to pick up a little more information... as you continue your research.

Good Luck !

VAcop

Thanks for all the responses. I have pulled a TT, on the highways, the wind can get pretty tough, and the semi's well that's another story, how about in high winds, or any speed winds. Has anyone had any bad things to say.

flamingknitter

I had only pulled bumper pull horse trailers when I bought my Augusta. All that length was pretty intimidating not to mention the shear terror I had at the thought of backing it in somewhere. I invested in driving lessons and haven't regretted a penny of my investment. It was an 8 hour lesson that included a safety check, hitching and unhitching, freeway driving as well as curvy roads, city streets and everything in between. The last half of the day was spent backing up. I felt pretty confident of my abilities when I was done. Now my sister-in-law wants a lesson as well. She wants to know how to pull their fiver just in case anything ever happens.

Marybeth

bigredtruck

DH will only pull a FW. He used to drive a B train so can pretty much pull anything but far prefers the FW for stability. He also made me learn how to drive it and back it up and when I watch other people try to back up a trailer vs the FW, I know I have a much easier time. On the other hand, I do like the way a TT looks and feels bigger inside because it is all one level, it's lower to the ground (usually) for getting in and out and it leaves the truck bed empty for hauling bikes etc. But, of course, we have upgraded to a toy hauler so shouldn't have to worry about that any more :)

SmokeyBare

VaCop,

High Wind's cause problems for any tall... flat sided vehicle. Does it stop me from towing... no... have I decided to wait a day or so to avoid some wind? Sure. Common Sense dictates that call in my view.

Any Fifth wheel I have towed handled well... never sent my truck reeling off the side of the road when challenged by a gust of wind... yet when the steady wind is blowing... yes I can feel the effects. Heck I've even said a quiet THANKS... for a tail wind as I moved eastbound across New Mexico and Oklahoma... Bucking a head wind drops fuel mileage...

I'd give more consern to stopping any RV... and less on making it go down the highway. Braking the RV... even worse... sudden braking... is a real big consern.

I used to fly through traffic... lights flashing... both feet on the floor type driving through traffic.... These days I have learned to sloooooooow down.... watch the sights of the next turn of the highway... and brake far earlier sooner than I ever did before.

Good Luck with your quest for information....

Marv

VAcop

I have a dodge ram 2500 d, Big Horn, do you think I willhave and trouble pulling the 3387 BH model. Thanks for all your inputs.

SmokeyBare

.... Being a Chevy Guy... I tend to be biased... :)

I've no doubt your Dodge is Ram-Tough enough to do the task...

Peteandsharon

Just thought I'd throw in a bit of a counter argument here. I too pulled two 30' travel trailer for 18-19 combined years. In those years I only had a couple of times where sway became a serious problem. The dual cam sway bars did a fine job. Having said that, I would also say that our BH fifth wheel tracks just fine. No problems at all. One difference that I have found, though, is in backing into a campsite. With the TT I always felt that I could back into any spot. As long as I was backing into a site on the left I could put that rig on a dime with change back. Backing the BH fiver has been another matter. I have had a couple of instances where I truly looked like a rank amateur trying to put that rig in a campsite. The issue is visibility. I have a terrible time judging where I am relative to where I want to be because the big fiver blocks visibility a lot more than the TT did. I have to constantly get out of the truck and look, only to find I am not where I thought I should be. I'm sure I'll get a better feel for this but because the fiver is taller and seems to be sitting right on top of me, I just can't get my bearings the same as I did with the TT. We love our BH and wouldn't trade it for anything but backing it is a different animal.

HOSS

Peteandsharon, I agree with you, the BH is a different animal when it comes to backing into some of these spots in cg not geared for the bigger rigs. We have the BG 3670rl and at just over 38ft, pulled with a long wheel base crew cab chevy dually, you need some room. The more I have done it the better it gets, just have to be careful and get out and look the site over, and go slow. We love our 3670rl and wouldn't trade her for anything else. The animal can be tamed!!

SmokeyBare

Hoss,

You've nailed it... I feel it's more of an issue because of the long wheel base along with a very limited turn radius of the truck that makes getting in some sites.

My 02' extended cab has less a turn radius than my 94' standard cab did. I tend to need to jocky the rig several times when in close quarters or narrow width between the rows of RV sites.

On a good note... a Fifth Wheel has a far greater turn radius than a bumper tow hitch...

Marv

fhollan

To VAcop from a Retired Cop

I've pulled TT's for around 25 years. Couple of years ago I bought the BH. I did find out that the only difference to me was backing. The tightest spot is my driveway where I back it in. Lucky for me, the front is a double, which gives me room to manipulate. The one for the "rig" goes along the garage. That's were it gets a little tight. Don't want to damage the building. The way I got use to it was taking it to our local high school lot on a weekend and practicing by mainly backing it into certain spots. I'm sure you'll get use to it. Once you get going with it, you'll love it, and can't wait to go again. Good Luck!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We have a 2008 Ford F-250 Dual Cab short bed and the ford book says I can haul up to 15,700 lbs. Fortunately, the 2009 BH 3400RE has a max weight(GVWR) of 14,800 lbs. Not to be presumptuous, Wayne and Donna (fulltime lady), I hope you are under the max tow weight allowed.

BobSue

pin weight

Just watch out for your pin weight. Use the pin weight that Heartland publishes and then add some (maybe a lot) remember that most (60%?) of the weight you add in the garage goes on to the pin.

Get your truck's axle weights now. Then add the proposed pin weight.

Compare that to the allowed on the sticker on the door post.

I think you will be surprised how much weight is on that rear axle.

I ended up over a few hundred pounds. Now I watch every ounce I put in the garage and move all the high density loads inside the trailer behind the axles whem moving to keep the pin weight down.

Learn before you buy or you will be like me :eek: