Exhaust smell - only when towing

H2oTom

Tow vehicle: 2009 Kia Sorento EX 3.8L
Trailer: 2011 MPG 183

As I said in the title, I'm getting a strong exhaust smell only when towing the camper. I think the camper is causing some sort of vacuum vortex between it and the SUV.

Any one have any experience with this happening?

kf5qby

Tow vehicle: 2009 Kia Sorento EX 3.8L
Trailer: 2011 MPG 183

As I said in the title, I'm getting a strong exhaust smell only when towing the camper. I think the camper is causing some sort of vacuum vortex between it and the SUV.

Any one have any experience with this happening?

Do you drive with the AC on recirculate or fresh air mode?

kf5qby

Recirculating. I had to open the windows last time it was so bad.

On modern cars there are hidden vents that allow air movement in and out. They are normally toward the back of the vehicle. By running with re-circulation turned on you are creating a low pressure zone inside the car that could be pulling exhaust fumes in from the outside.

Normally the air flow around the vehicle would carry most of those fumes away. With the trailer it could be creating a pocket of air rich with exhaust fumes between the vehicle and the trailer. If it is near the vent it could be drawn back into the vehicle. My suggestion is next time you are towing would be to use re-circulation to cool the car down then set it to use normal outside air.

That should create a positive airflow through the vehicle and out of the hidden vents.

hoefler

Also, is your exhaust coming out straight out from the bumper or out the side?? If it is exiting straight out, it is in the low pressure area between the TV and trailer. Like said above, it could be entering the cabin vents at the rear of the vehicle. Running fresh air into the cabin will create a high pressure area in the cabin. I would look into relocating the exhaust exit point to the side of the vehicle to get it out and into the air stream going down the side of the vehicle.

Tsys100718

I'm not sure what your TV is, but you stated it was an SUV. I had a Chevy Trailblazer that I had the same issue with. Using the fresh air (circulate) setting instead of the recirculate setting corrected the issue.