Truck Recommendations

Coldfusion

Well after 8 months of intense research my wife and I have found our 5ver. WE both really love the Sundance 3012 RE.

Now I just need a Little guidance on the pickup truck to tow it. After 8 months of research on a truck, I have desided to go with a Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4. Not sure about the engine yet. Gas or Diesel ?

I just wanted to make sure that this size truck would be able to tow the 3012RE. I have heard that even if the tow rating is 10000 on the truck you can easly tow a 12000 5ver because it is a 5ver and not a pull along. Is that true? Can any one advise thanks in advance.

sgtbigb

Boy, this is a good time to buy a truck! They are almost giving them a way here in Texas.

HOSS

I agree with sgtbigb, it is a great time to but a new truck, I bought the 2008 Chevy Silverado 1ton dually crew cab very reasonable after all the rebates and discounts offered at the time. Now I think they are even cheaper. I would suggest going for the dually, you want be sorry. I pull a 2009 BH 3670rl. Just my 2cents worth.

fivernine

I've been using the GMC version of your target truck since 2003 towing a 37' Jayco. Last year I bought the 2007 new body style GMC diesel and this January started towing a new Landmark 39' fiver. No problems whatsoever even with the larger Landmark. We are in the Cumberlands of Tennessee with short, but steep grades up to 8 percent (even a few 10 percent). I typically can run the 8 percent grades at 40 mph in 90° weather. On the interstates here in the mountains I get about 10.1 mpg; on the flatlands I get 11.1 mpg. In both cases, this is at 68 mph.

If you can swing it, I would recommend the diesel and six-speed Allison transmission. It has tremendous torque and and that extra gear makes downshifting on interstate grades almost unnoticeable. It will pull your camper up a wall.
--Rick

geeksrus

I recently purchased a 2008 RAM3500, diesel, dually, with a 4.10 rear end. It replaces a 2003 F350, diesel, SRW. I made this change to be safe & LEGAL when hauling a 2008 BigHorn 3400RL... the BH specs are: GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) = 14600/7258 UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) = 11595/5259 With more & more states/provinces bringing in legislation on over weight trailer hauling, I feel it is best to have a TV that has extra capacity. EH!

dewwood

There are good TV's in whichever brand you choose which will do the job. I have an 06 Chevy Silverado with the Duramax and Allison transmission and would recommend it to anyone. I have the 3.73 rears which allow for reasonable unloaded driving (19 mpg) but have the power to tow both my Sundance (12mpg) and a large 40' gooseneck trailer without any problems whatsoever. I have owned many trucks over the years up to and including semi tractors and this truck delivers. For a truck in this size range it has lots of power and the transmission is a delight as it shifts smoothly and really helps on braking with its downshifting. I guess that would mean that I would highly recommend the Chevy.

This spring we purchased a 3600RL, dry weight 12,000, and am pulling with an '08 Dodge, Quad Cab, single wheel, short box 4X4. This truck has a 6.7 Cummins with a builtin Jake Brake, Tow/Haul and Auto 6 tranny. So far about 10,000Km and the unit is fabulous. Mileage while pulling in Canadian gallons is about 12. 10 in US gallons. The jake brake and manual shiftable tranny are godsends and I hardly have to use the brakes in all conditions. I cruise at 100 kph (kilometers per hour) (63 miles per hour) with the truck in cruise and running at 1600 rpm. The Cummins is a dream for pulling. So far, no problems of any kind. Which does make me a bit nervous...But I'll keep my fingers crossed.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
3/4 ton isn't going to know the Sundance is back there. Me I would get the Duramax/ Allison.

I know a lot of transporters very happy with the duramax Allison combo.

gdog

gdog
I have an 07 3/4 HD GMC classic with the duramax and allison. We are pulling an 09 Bighorn 3055, with a dry weight of 11 000 lbs. Everytime we are on the road I am amazed at the pulling power this unit has. I have pulled a smaller fifth wheel for years with both the 350 and 454 gas engines. I will never go back to gas. Diesel is the way to go. I have heard some complaints with the new version of diesels dealing with the particulate filters. That is why I went for the classic version.
gdog

pmmjarrett

I will never go back to gas. Diesel is the way to go. I have heard some complaints with the new version of diesels dealing with the particulate filters. That is why I went for the classic version.
gdog

I'm all done with gassers, even my small cars.

All the new EPA mandated emissions equipment is why I stepped backwards in years to a 2004.5 Dodge when I bought my last truck a few months ago. At least the only thing the 5.9 Cummins ..... ummm... used to have on it was a catylitic converter;)

Ford, Chevy and Dodge..... doesn't matter, they are all having problems with the new emmissions equipment and much worse fuel economy.

If I went with a GM it would be an 06 or 07 that had the six speed allison with the double overdrive.

JimandSina

What ever you choose will never be too big, you can never have too much truck, and the diesel provides a lot more torque "which is what gets you going" with a lot less strain.
just my 2 cents worth,
Jim

Netem

We pull a 2900 MK Sundance with a Chevy 2500 HD DMax Allison and it pulls and handles great.

pmmjarrett

What ever you choose will never be too big, you can never have too much truck, and the diesel provides a lot more torque "which is what gets you going" with a lot less strain.
just my 2 cents worth,
Jim

Ummmm think this might be a bit big to hook to the Sundance.:D
IMG00054.jpg

Of course you could just toss it in the bed.

PUG

Pug
I pull my 09 Cyclone 3950 with an 02 Chevy 4 x 4 duramax + allison trans. The 3950 weighs 18k. I would recommend the Chevy with duramax and allison as the best. I have added Hypertech tuner bumping up 100+hp. Added pyrometer and boost guage to monitor the temp so I know when to back off the power. Dually is a good idea for stability. Also added Firestone air bags with inside guage and control that makes a world of difference.

Thedonald

I have a Sundance 3200ES 34' which I pull with a 2007 GMC 2500HD duramax diesel and allison transmission. I have made two long trips with it and love it. Pulls great even in overdrive with cruise control on and study as a rock. Great miliage as well. Good luck.

Delaine and Lindy

I know your thinking Sundance will be it, more than likely you will go larger (BH or LM) so you can handle the Sundance no problem with the weights. However if you go up to a Landmark and load it up you will need the Dually for the pin weight. Yes I know people are pulling Landmarks with 3/4 ton trucks. Our Chevy Dually with the Landmark, with no water and just three days of clothing our weight was 21,160 per Cat scales. So when we got it ready to hit the road we would have been at or over 23,500. I would get nothing less than a 2500HD and thats a Duramax/Allison. But I also agree you can't have to much Truck. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....

Coldfusion

Thank You!

Just wanted to thank those that took the time to put in their 2 cents. I guess since I will only be towing once in a while, I'm going to go with .75 ton single with a deisel. My biggest delema is the fuel cost though. Thanks again everybody:). Mark

VAcop

I don't have a5th wheel yet, will get one in the spring, My wife and I were looking at the Bighorn, I think it was 3385 (not sure), I will be pulling it with a 06 dodge ram 2500 deisel, and thoughts about this, will this be enough truck.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Just wanted to thank those that took the time to put in their 2 cents. I guess since I will only be towing once in a while, I'm going to go with .75 ton single with a deisel. My biggest delema is the fuel cost though. Thanks again everybody:). Mark

Something you should know about the Chevrolet truck when you start talking about the 3/4 tons. Typically the diesels will get you better mileage than the gas trucks. It will not be so much better to cancel out the difference in fuel costs but all-in-all the diesel will be a much better truck in the long run. I wouldn't be without mine.

Good luck,
Mark