Bighorn 3160 water filter system

FCR

I have a 2017 Bighorn 3160 and I would like to install a 2 stage water filter system. I'm looking for some ideas as to the placement in the basement.
Also has anyone with the 3160 modified the basement walls. As far as the ceiling in the basement other than the ends I can only see one of the aluminium braces and that's at the hot air duct for the bedroom. Anybody happen to know the framing layout?

Thanks Frank

Garypowell

Don't have your model but I simply removed the wall and put in a 2 by 2 framework and then cut white coroplast to make a new wall held up with Velcro. Gained about 4 sq ft of storage, less weight, and easier to get in and out of.

I have a 2 stage water filter in crate that I set on the ground to use. May be me but they seem to leak a lot so I don't have that mess sealed behind a wall.

Plus pressure regulator is where I can see and get to it easily.

CoveredWagon

I hang mine on the frame with a couple of c clamps just rear of the UDC. Granted I have to hang it every time we stop, but I'm in no rush.

DougS

Doug S
I have modified the basement wall. I just screw some 1X2 board into the basement floor and ceiling to hold the wall in place. The fabric on the wall can be purchased from a store like Joanne Fabrics. The space gained is big enough to hold a 6 gallon pancake air compressor and some small too boxes. I also cut in a window behind the docking station with a sliding plastic window.

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 131

Oregon_Camper

Unfortunately, the 3160 does NOT offer much additional storage space behind the basement wall. Shown below is what you will see once you get the main wall down. As you can see, the area is full...and doesn't offer up much space. The Blue Circle is where your converter will be located. I removed mine and installed a GoPower IC2000, but that is a different topic. The blue arrow is pointing toward UDC and heater location. Finally, the red line at the bottom, is my attempt to show you where the wall is normally located.

While there is some space to recover, like Doug has shown in the post above, I've seen other units that have enough space behind the basement wall to have a dance party....just not the 3160. :(

Capture.jpg

FCR

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've installed a Surge Guard which I mounted on the framework for the stairs. I plan on moving the converter off the floor to make some room.

Doug I'm curious how you made the window, do you happen to have a picture ?

Thanks Frank

DougS

Doug S
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've installed a Surge Guard which I mounted on the framework for the stairs. I plan on moving the converter off the floor to make some room.

Doug I'm curious how you made the window, do you happen to have a picture ?

Thanks Frank

The window I added behind the docking station in the basement wall was sized to a clear piece of plastic I bought from Lowe’s. I routed out the 1X2” wood so the plastic can slide open. I used a rubber bumper for a knob. The window allows me to check plumbing without taking the wall down.

Attachments

• 84057784-10B6-410F-882D-A49E8B8BF3C4.jpg
    84057784-10B6-410F-882D-A49E8B8BF3C4.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 82

FCR

The window I added behind the docking station in the basement wall was sized to a clear piece of plastic I bought from Lowe’s. I routed out the 1X2” wood so the plastic can slide open. I used a rubber bumper for a knob. The window allows me to check plumbing without taking the wall down.

I like what you did, being able to see whats going on behind the wall. Where your compressor is sitting is exactly what I planned on doing.

Thanks Frank

FCR

Gary your new basement walls sounds familiar, did you happen to post some pictures before? Was it the O rings that were leaking on the filters?

Oregon as you said there isn't a lot of space but I'll take what I can get ! So what program do you use to draw on the pics ?

As you can see I mounted my Surge Guard on the stair framing and would like to move the converter up next to it or somewhere up there. Then re run some of the the water lines to give me a little more room.

Frank

Attachments

• IMG_3481.jpg
    IMG_3481.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 56

Garypowell

FCR,

Yes I posted that back in 2013 I believe. As everyone knows it is a real mess behind the standard wall. I moved the vacuum system and simply pushed the wires and any tubing back.....and gained a few square feet.

I bought the coroplast at Home Depot as I remember and just used scrap 2 by 2's for the framing. Still in use today. Some of Velcro does not work as well as it used to....need to remove and put some new self sticking kind on.

At the same time I put in a new 12 volt fuse box (made out of seal able plastic box) as I put a 12 volt outlet in the UDC for the satellite system and my Viair compressor. And put like 5 more lights in the overhead with a three way switch at either doorway for ease of use.

Oregon_Camper

I use the "snipping tool" that comes with Windows to mark up the pictures.

For your converter, there is a GREAT place to move it...see the arrow pointing to the location. I had my GoPower 50amp Transfer switch located there, before installing the IC2000 (inverter/transfer switch/converter) from GoPower. Only thing you'll have to adjust is adding a new chassis ground (copper) wire. The one on the converter now, won't be long enough.

Capture.jpg