One breaker to rule them all

DruidZ

We are just getting used to our new (for us) 2010 Grand Canyon. I have set up my office in the desk area with two computers, a laptop, a monitor (LCD), a printer, a phone (VoIP), two routers and a modem. Sounds like a lot but with modern computer equipment one circuit should handle it fine.

This morning we made breakfast. We split the electric kettle and coffee maker putting them on opposite sides of the trailer to spread the load. To our surprise all three plugs were on the same circuit. Is this normal or has this unit been wired incorrectly?

I am considering disabling the heater part of the fireplace and running the computers off that circuit as well. How hard would that be? I am thinking that if I can remove the fireplace I can get behind the two plugs and rewire them. That way the computers can run on their own circuit. I assume that the display part of the fireplace uses minimal power and most of the time it wouldn't be on anyway.

I would still like to get the plugs on both sides on separate breakers anyway. I see that there is a "front A/C" breaker but we only have one so maybe that could be used for one side. How hard would that be?

danemayer

Hi DruidZ,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Landmark and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Wiring varies by floor plan and again from year to year, so it's hard to say how your 2010 is supposed to be wired. But two things you might look at are 1) the outlet where the microwave plugs in, and 2) the outlet where the fireplace plugs in.

Both of those devices are often on their own circuit breakers. You could plug the coffee maker into the microwave outlet. And you could plug your computer gear into the fireplace outlet. The fireplaces I've seen all have a cord with plug on the end, so all you would have to do is locate the outlet.

Garypowell

Each time I buy an RV I map the electrical so that I know exactly what line/breaker is doing what plug or appliance. It is fairly easy to add circuits if you are careful. For example, we have a combo washer/dryer that only needs one plug. So I broke into the dryer line and put a new "run" off of that line to power our two burner True Induction cook top (removed the propane top and stove).

We do use that dryer receptacle for a space heater....but generally not when we are cooking.

Because we have an Progressive Industries EMS on this rig I have also mapped the amps each device pulls for better utilization.

Both Lind and I work on the road so there is the same gear you listed....and it all works fine....once you understand what is being powered where.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Check in the cabinet next to the fireplace. The receptacle for the fireplace is often found there.

Peace
Dave

DruidZ

Hi DruidZ,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Landmark and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Thanks. So far we like it way better than our old 1990 Belair.

Wiring varies by floor plan and again from year to year, so it's hard to say how your 2010 is supposed to be wired. But two things you might look at are 1) the outlet where the microwave plugs in, and 2) the outlet where the fireplace plugs in.

Both of those devices are often on their own circuit breakers. You could plug the coffee maker into the microwave outlet. And you could plug your computer gear into the fireplace outlet. The fireplaces I've seen all have a cord with plug on the end, so all you would have to do is locate the outlet.

That's a good idea. I wanted to tie the two plugs together so that I didn't have to disconnect the fireplace but it works for now. The fireplace plug only has one outlet, not two like most outlets.

Here is what it looks like now.
20170923_5024.jpg

Once I have all the wires above the shelf I plan to add a curtain to make it look neater. The curtain would go to the shelf, not the floor.

The microwave plug is more difficult since it is at the top of the cupboard. Maybe I could connect the one below the cupboard to it somehow but that may involve removing built in cupboards.

Thanks,

hoefler

In our Landmark, I had 2 open spaces in the breaker box, I added 4 dedicated circuits to various places. One to the kitchen cabinet for the coffee maker, one next to the fridge for a space heater, one in the basement for a space heater, and one to the front compartment to run an air compressor or any thing else I might meet. I don't have a fireplace, it is on its own circuit as well, we use it for a space heater when needed as well.

jbeletti

DruidZ - It's likely that in your LM, the outlets on both downstairs slides and back wall are all on 1 breaker.

The exceptions are:
- Microwave (on it's own breaker)
- Fireplace (on it's own breaker)
- Outlets around the sink / island (on the GFCI outlet in the bedroom or bathroom)

In my unit, I can use the coffee maker on the slide counter and a toaster on the island as they are 2 separate circuits. It's all about learning how the coach is wired. You're getting close :)

DruidZ

DruidZ - It's likely that in your LM, the outlets on both downstairs slides and back wall are all on 1 breaker.

The exceptions are:
- Microwave (on it's own breaker)
- Fireplace (on it's own breaker)
- Outlets around the sink / island (on the GFCI outlet in the bedroom or bathroom)

That last one was the one I was unsure of. I think I have a handle on it now.

In my unit, I can use the coffee maker on the slide counter and a toaster on the island as they are 2 separate circuits. It's all about learning how the coach is wired. You're getting close :)

Now that my computers are on their own circuit (the fireplace one) I have put the coffee maker on the island, the kettle by the stove and the toaster, when we use it, on the dining table. That leaves the kettle and toaster on the same circuit but we just have to be careful not to use them together. Even that may not be so bad but we won't test that yet.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

jbeletti

That last one was the one I was unsure of. I think I have a handle on it now.

Now that my computers are on their own circuit (the fireplace one) I have put the coffee maker on the island, the kettle by the stove and the toaster, when we use it, on the dining table. That leaves the kettle and toaster on the same circuit but we just have to be careful not to use them together. Even that may not be so bad but we won't test that yet.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

You've got it all figured out now :)

Any appliance that generates heat (space heaters, hair dryers, toasters, coffee/tea pots/kettles, cookers etc) have large current draws. Generally speaking, it's normal that you can operate only 1 per circuit at one time.Th

Thanks for sharing your experience as it may help others better understand the electrical system.

DruidZ

Any appliance that generates heat...

Not just heat. We also have a freezer in the shed and yesterday in the sweltering heat with A/C and other stuff on we wound up tripping the main breaker. Looks like we still have to simplify.