Texas to End Annual Emmisions Testing?

crussian

I've seen on a few full timing groups on Facebook that as of 1 Jan 2018 Texas will stop the requirement for annual emissions testing for stickers? Anyone know if that is a true statement?

Thanks in advance.

C&J

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
They keep trying to get rid of them here in Colorado, too . . .

But it is a big business and has so far resisted.

MCTalley

Texas doesn't have emissions testing. They do have an annual inspection that consists of making sure brakes work, tires aren't bald and lights all work (applies to both truck and trailer).

crussian

Texas doesn't have emissions testing. They do have an annual inspection that consists of making sure brakes work, tires aren't bald and lights all work (applies to both truck and trailer).

Okay, understand, but do you know if they will end the "sticker" inspections?

C&J

pegmikef

Not true. Emission testing is required in the more populous regions of Texas.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not true. Emission testing is required in the more populous regions of Texas.

Mike's right, it depends on where your vehicle is licensed. When we lived in Kaufman County (next to Dallas County) we had emissions testing. Now in Eastland County (middle of rural, west central Texas) we do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crussian

This is from the Texas website that DYIJunkie posted earlier:

Emission Testing Information
The type of emission test for your vehicle is determined by your location and the age of the vehicle. The information below outlines the criteria, and provides a link to detailed information about the specific emission tests.
El Paso, Travis and Williamson County Motorists
1995 and older vehicles will receive the Two Speed Idle (TSI) test while 1996 and newer vehicles receive the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) test.
DFW and Houston/Galveston Area Motorists
1995 and older vehicles will receive the Accelerated Simulation Mode (ASM) test, while 1996 and newer vehicles receive the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) test.

C&J

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Arkansas did away with inspections back in 97. Stations were just passing whatever without even looking. So the state just added the fee to the tags and did away with the program. Sound like the same there is happening.

Texas did away with the sticker but not inspections. You get an inspection, it goes to the the state record when you get your vehicle renewal. HOWEVER! If you renew your vehicle registration online, you can check that the vehicle is out of state and they will renew...with the condition that you get an inspection within 30 days of being back in state. We are in Kaufman Co.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

MCTalley

I stand corrected. I was only a Texas "resident" for a couple years in Polk County via Escapees, and they obviously don't have emissions testing there. Makes sense that larger metropolitan areas would.

Lou_and_Bette

Texas did away with the sticker but not inspections. You get an inspection, it goes to the the state record when you get your vehicle renewal. HOWEVER! If you renew your vehicle registration online, you can check that the vehicle is out of state and they will renew...with the condition that you get an inspection within 30 days of being back in state. We are in Kaufman Co.Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Just renewed all 3 vehicles while out of the state and paperwork indicated I have 5 days to get inspection on return to the state.

OK thank you, I stand corrected. They really push you to get it done....5 days? Takes longer than that to drive across Texas!!

Lou_and_Bette

OK thank you, I stand corrected. They really push you to get it done....5 days? Takes longer than that to drive across Texas!!

Exactly, we are going to spend 5 days in Texas on our way back to winter site in Mississippi from West Coast. Don't plan to get any of the vehicles inspected since I don't know how they would be able to ascertain when I re-entered the state. Now, when we go to stay near our son's home for a few months starting in February, I will worry about the truck and motorcycle first and then get the rig done as we are leaving.

danemayer

Exactly, we are going to spend 5 days in Texas on our way back to winter site in Mississippi from West Coast. Don't plan to get any of the vehicles inspected since I don't know how they would be able to ascertain when I re-entered the state. Now, when we go to stay near our son's home for a few months starting in February, I will worry about the truck and motorcycle first and then get the rig done as we are leaving.

Lou,

I seem to recall some years back in Austin, Ann got a ticket for a sticker that was a few days past its expiration. My recollection is that we were trying to get the inspection done, but at the end of the month, all the inspection places were pretty busy. So we decided to wait for the following weekend. I was surprised at how aggressive the enforcement was. We could either pay the fine, or void the ticket by taking proof of inspection to the county office within 10 days.

I suppose if they stopped you for some reason, they could do something similar. Or maybe just put a notation in their system and issue a citation automatically if the test doesn't get posted within 5 days.

Or maybe they'd do nothing. Depends how aggressive they are on enforcement.

jimtoo

Now the Texas state inspection is hooked directly to your license and registration of the vehicle. You receive an notice 30-60 days before your license expires and you must have vehicle inspected and present form to register or renew license for vehicle. So now if not inspected your license will expire.

Jim M

avvidclif

If your sticker expires there is a 5 day grace period. At least when they had stickers, same for license plates. You think the inspection places are full at the end of the month, try the first 5 days. I always got it done in the grace period and gained a month every year. The new system killed that.

Lou_and_Bette

Lou,I seem to recall some years back in Austin, Ann got a ticket for a sticker that was a few days past its expiration. My recollection is that we were trying to get the inspection done, but at the end of the month, all the inspection places were pretty busy. So we decided to wait for the following weekend. I was surprised at how aggressive the enforcement was. We could either pay the fine, or void the ticket by taking proof of inspection to the county office within 10 days. I suppose if they stopped you for some reason, they could do something similar. Or maybe just put a notation in their system and issue a citation automatically if the test doesn't get posted within 5 days.Or maybe they'd do nothing. Depends how aggressive they are on enforcement.
Correct Dan, plate would have to be run for some reason (no sticker anymore) and then the LEO would have to determine when I returned to the state, " I just came in yesterday officer." 😬

- - - Updated - - -

Now the Texas state inspection is hooked directly to your license and registration of the vehicle. You receive an notice 30-60 days before your license expires and you must have vehicle inspected and present form to register or renew license for vehicle. So now if not inspected your license will expire.Jim M
Correct on linking registration and inspection but I just renewed registration on truck, rig, and motorcycle online by stating I was "out of the state" and noting that I would get the inspections done within 5 days of returning to the state.

avvidclif

Might as well get it done when you get here as it will expire the same time as your plates do. Can't gain anything by waiting.