Electric running boards for trucks

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Has anyone used electric running boards and which brand do you like best. My wife is having problems getting in and out of our 3500 chevy.

BusManRG

We have AMP Research on our 2013 Ford. I LOVE them! They completely hide underneath the truck when the doors are closed and light up (subtle, not blinky) when deployed. Very stable. I'd highly recommend them.

Sandy

TedS

I had the AMP steps installed for my wife. The steps drop lower than the nerf bar step. They are lighted too so you can see the step at night.

Power247

Amp steps here to. So much better than standard step bars.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Eric1234

Hi

I am a fan of the amp research steps. My previous truck had them, they come down lower and are wider thean the standard running boards. My daughter was 4 when I originally installed them on my truck and she could get in and out no problem by herself. Lastly if you buy the amp steps I would install them again myself. The installation was easy and they have the "plug in play" which plugs into your OB2 port for easy install.

Hope me this helps

Eric

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I've had amp research running boards on both of my 4X4 Ram trucks. They're really nice. They have excellent customer service too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kf5qby

I have a set of Amp steps on my Ram as well. Because they are much lower when unfolded, it is easier for shorter people or people with mobility issues to get into the truck. Mine came with the Mopar Tubular Side steps and my wife had a hard time climbing in. Now it is easy for her.

My mom has some mobility issues and she has no problems getting into the truck either.

BusManRG

Thank you for all the information. I intend on ordering them soon.

Your wife will love them! So much better, and better looking, than the fixed running boards we had on a previous Suburban. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JDvorak

I will agree with everyone AMP is the way to go. I would suggest letting a professional install them. I thought i wanted to attempt putting them on myself then i watched a U Tube video and bought them at a truck shop and let them do the work. Took them most of a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Installed a set on my Ram 3500 and love them. One thing I did learn was how much factory tubular steps kept rocks from chipping paint on dually fender. To solve problems purchased a pair of heavy duty front mud flaps that hang down to about 3" above road. Problem solved.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Installed a set on my Ram 3500 and love them. One thing I did learn was how much factory tubular steps kept rocks from chipping paint on dually fender. To solve problems purchased a pair of heavy duty front mud flaps that hang down to about 3" above road. Problem solved.

I had the same issue. The first 1-2k miles, I ran without any side steps at all. Multiple rock chips on the dually fenders. I would imagine it is true for any brand truck. After sidestep installation. No chips whatsoever.

porthole

Retired
Don't have them, wouldn't mind having them though.

And I'm sure there is a reason the upper level Ford pickups now use the Amp boards as factory optional equipment. And it's not because of a poor track record.

WillyBill

Ditto on the AMP Running Boards. And they handle snow and mud with no problem FWIW. They are also rock solid when deployed for use. You will be very happy you have them.

WB

justafordguy

Don't have them, wouldn't mind having them though.

And I'm sure there is a reason the upper level Ford pickups now use the Amp boards as factory optional equipment. And it's not because of a poor track record.

I agree, My new King Ranch has the power steps from the factory and My wife loves them because they open lower than the stationary steps on my older trucks.

I will weigh in here with our experience with the power steps.
My wife has a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer with the Power Step Option.
We originally leased this vehicle new, & when lease was up, we purchased it.
This is a nice option, but make sure to lubricate them a couple times a year.
We live in Southeast Michigan, so we have the sloppy weather and Salt in the Winter,
About 5 years ago, the Right Side Step stopped working, even though they were lubricated.
I took the vehicle into our local Ford dealer to find out what was wrong.
It seems that the road Salt in the Winter didn't sit well with the operating mechanism.
The Step had to be rebuilt, and upon inspection they found problems with Left side Power Step also.
Bottom line, $1,100.00 per side to rebuild them.
We carry an extended warranty on this vehicle so the warranty paid the $2,200.00 cost of the repair.
The interesting fact here was we paid $2,200.00 for the 5 year extended warranty.
Make sure to have them checked when you have your vehicle serviced, because they are expensive to repair.
I'm sure, over the last 9 years they have improved the design of the operating mechanism on these steps, but don't neglect them in your service program.

Hockster