Load management to get desired pin weight?

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
I read a lot on how most people say that their pin weight is much more than the advertised dry pin on the website and to never go by the dry pin weight. Is this due to loading most of the gear forward of the axles in the basement?
When I weighed out my trailer I had a pin weight of 3025lbs and it's advertised at 2870lbs. The total weight of the trailer was 16750lbs but my advertised dry weight shows 13488lbs.
I did place a lot of heavy bins in the rear where the sofa goes so did this balance the load better? I know for the short pull that I did it pulled awesome with the factory pin box and the Anderson setup.
Is it better to try and achieve the advertised pin weight? Did it ride better because I wasn't as heavy in the front?
Just curious to see people's thoughts on why they keep their pin weight where they do.

hoefler

What is your axle capacity?? Fifth wheels are designed to carry 20-25% of gross weight on the pin.

Garypowell

Not that you should not know what your actual weights are but you are over thinking it.

The advertized weights are as the rig would roll off the line with no options as I understand it. When you add the washer and dryer or other non standard things then you have to look at the yellow sticker on the door as these are as your rig was built.

It is certainly wisest to not exceed any of the published limits such as GWxxxx’s but some do.....I have done this on a couple of my trips over 20 years with 5 different rigs.

The point here is you are always going to go over some published weight.....but you should not go over the published limits.

Another thing that you should worry about is if your truck is able to handle the actual pin weight. I no longer weigh myself because with this current rig after 5 years I know what it weighs. But the first couple of trips I weighed it each time to insure I knew where my gross weight was and my pin weight.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
What is your axle capacity?? Fifth wheels are designed to carry 20-25% of gross weight on the pin.
I assume they are the 7k ones listed in the specs. I don't think they have been upgraded. They do have shocks. Scaled it was 13300 on the trailer axles. So I was at 18%

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Not that you should not know what your actual weights are but you are over thinking it.

The advertized weights are as the rig would roll off the line with no options as I understand it. When you add the washer and dryer or other non standard things then you have to look at the yellow sticker on the door as these are as your rig was built.

It is certainly wisest to not exceed any of the published limits such as GWxxxx’s but some do.....I have done this on a couple of my trips over 20 years with 5 different rigs.

The point here is you are always going to go over some published weight.....but you should not go over the published limits.

Another thing that you should worry about is if your truck is able to handle the actual pin weight. I no longer weigh myself because with this current rig after 5 years I know what it weighs. But the first couple of trips I weighed it each time to insure I knew where my gross weight was and my pin weight.

Not too worried about it but was curious what I did to make it pull so well.

PondSkum

I don't know what my weights are yet, but I know it pulls better when my Ranger is in the back of the toyhauler... When I'm not bringing the Ranger, I try to load as much stuff as I can in the back to simulate the toy being there..

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dry weight is just that, dry with nothing in it. You'll never haul it dry, so you'll never achieve those numbers. You need to keep the weight of the rig under the GVWR, and the pin weight about 20% of the total weight.

Here's a great site developed by a Heartland Owner that explains all of this very well. Www.fifthwheelst.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk