CB RADIO communications among traveling RVs

DJHphoto

Just wondering how popular is CB communication among RV travelers? I just upgraded our CB to a new President McKinley CB with USB. I have not had the chance to try it our on the road with the Heartland camper yet though. Any thoughts?

SNOKING

Just wondering how popular is CB communication among RV travelers? I just upgraded our CB to a new President McKinley CB with USB. I have not had the chance to try it our on the road with the Heartland camper yet though. Any thoughts?

We gave up on CB's when we bought the new 2015, but used it very little for quite a few years before that. We used Zello smart phone walkie talkie with Brother and SIL on this trip. Chris

Speedy

Use our Midland on every trip, just not on all the time. The thing about cellphones is they do not provide up to the minute traffic in areas that are outside metro areas. You also can not communicate with another vehicle unless you know their phone number. CB works everywhere and because of all the channels available mostly private.

Going the replace the two walkie talkies that were stolen last week from my truck with a handheld CB.

DJHphoto

Use our Midland on every trip, just not on all the time. The thing about cellphones is they do not provide up to the minute traffic in areas that are outside metro areas. You also can not communicate with another vehicle unless you know their phone number. CB works everywhere and because of all the channels available mostly private.

Going the replace the two walkie talkies that were stolen last week from my truck with a handheld CB.

Thats what everyone says about CBs......replaced by the cell phone. I always liked the CB community where if there was a traffic conversation going on 50 people could listen in.

Sorry about the theft loss of your radios.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like CBs are getting more popular. Was also wondering how popular HAM radios are for RVs and traveling. I have been reading that they police themselves with the language better than CBs

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I gave up my CB when I discovered amateur radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

To loop back, we used CBs in the trucks for years, then things got really foul mouth, and then there were fewer and fewer people on the the truck channels. Chris

LBR

I use my Yaesu 8800 dual band ham radio for communications and Waze on an 8" tablet for navigation, interactive road updates, accidents, and police sightings up ahead of us...

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We used our CB for years and finally put it away. A couple of years ago I dug it out but there was so much profanity, I just quit listening to it and finally stored it at one of my daughter's house. too bad, it was a useful tool once.

NYSUPstater

CB use overall (at least here in CNY) is down drastically compared to just 10-15 years ago. I drive a semi every night from Syracuse to Albany and if I'm not running w/ a buddy or co-worker who has one, you'd be hard pressed to hear anyone else talking. Only real time I hear plenty of chatter is in the winter and the weather is bad. The foul language still exists sadly. As for a cb in the pick-up while traveling, yes I have one in there and use it all the time when towing the 5er. Comes in handy on backups, accidents, by-passing wrecks etc. Do I care for the foul language? No. My son asked me how I understand what others are saying cuz he can't. Guess you get used to certain words or phrases.

IMO, I feel the cb use will die w/ current generation of semi drivers cuz the "youngins" are not getting into it. Add to that, some companies don't allow them or drivers have audio books satellite radio, video/computer etc. Till I croak, I'll have a cb.

Lynn1130

Do you use HAM when on the road? What transceiver and antenna works good for a pickup? Do you pick up a lot or road conversation?

Ham is different than CB. The frequencies used are different and "range of sight" for what you would be using in a vehicle if on simplex. Repeaters extend your range. So traveling down the road, if you are out of range of a repeater, your are not likely to find that many others on the radio. There are two bands that are used primarily and with today's "no code" license you can get on the air pretty quickly. There are numerous, and I do mean numerous radios available for your vehicle and much like which truck, or which tires should I buy, you will get the answer of which one that person likes the best. There are "Elmers" at your local Ham groups that will help you get started. Do some research on groups in your area and give one or more a call. They will be glad to get you started. If you search "repeater groups" for your area you should get a list with a contact person.

When/if you do go that direction, and I am sure someone helping you will tell you this again. The radio is important but the antenna is even more so.

KC7LB

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have a CB in our pickup, always have. Traffic on it has alerted us to many backups, accidents etc. I was able to alert a MH driver that he had a flat on his TOAD. I would hope someone else with a CB would alert us if something was wrong with our rig. The swearing does not bother us, and it definitely does not outweigh the safety value of the radio.

wdk450

While CB has a larger "audience" and traffic situation reports, the signal range is about 5-10 miles. The original cellphone towers were designed for cells about 4 miles in diameter, now some of the rural ones might be up to 10 miles in diameter. If you are beyond a cell tower's signal range, you are without communications.
Back when I was working, I took my 5 watt, 2 meter handheld ham walkie talkie outside my shop in downtown Sacramento and could always bring up a ham repeater on Mt. Rose, Nevada . (Overlooking North Lake Tahoe and Reno). This repeater was 110 miles from where I was standing. Hams CAN legally use up to 1500 watts broadcast power. Most ham repeaters have telephone system access, and hams who monitor the frequency to assist if needed.

My conclusion on this is that if you go into the backcountry like 4 wheeling or backpacking, and want to keep yourself able to contact emergency services, you ought to get a license and have a ham radio transceiver.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My conclusion on this is that if you go into the backcountry like 4 wheeling or backpacking, and want to keep yourself able to contact emergency services, you ought to get a license and have a ham radio transceiver.

Or get yourself one of these. Forest Ranger son who along with his crew(s) work in the backcountry of the Flathead NF, Montana have these.
Satellite technology. Emergency locator. Two way communication via text messaging. And more.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPOT...VU7XACh39Pw0LEAQYASABEgKIkfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kf5qby

I have been reading that they police themselves with the language better than CBs

As a FCC licensed HAM, you are held to a higher standard and strict rules of operation. If you violate the published rules the FCC can and will revoke your license, confiscate your equipment and fine you. This is why HAMs police themselves. Unlicensed operation on the HAM bands can result in the same punishment.

As for myself, I run a Cobra 75 WS XT into a Laird NMO antenna (11 meter) mounted on the truck bed rail just behind the cab.

For HAM operations I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA into a Diamond SG7500NMO dual-band mounted on the opposite bed rail just behind the cab. I also have a Kenwood TH-D72A Handheld for when I am hiking or when I am away from the truck.

The body for each radio is mounted under the rear seat in my truck and only the face plate/microphone are mounted by the driver seat.

the 710 output is 50 watts and I have hit repeaters 75~100 miles from my location on it. The 72 only outputs 5 watts max which is still higher then legal CB operation which is 4 watts. Both of the HAM radios have APRS (Automatic Packet Repeater SYSTEM) capability. This allows you to not only broadcast you location in a standardized digital signal, it also allows you to send and receive short messages. It is really nice if you have a large group traveling together. Keep a HAM at the front and another at the rear and you know where approximately everyone is.

As said before, the FCC has removed the Morse code requirement from all licensing levels for the Amateur Radio License. It is actually pretty easy to get and there has been a huge growth in amateur radio in the past couple of years. Also entry level equipment is pretty inexpensive and easy to find.

KF5QBY

Lynn1130

This repeater was 110 miles from where I was standing. Hams CAN legally use up to 1500 watts broadcast power.

You need to keep in mind with these repeaters that they are on mountain tops and increase the range of your mobile or handheld but if you are in the flats of Oklahoma, your good for about 35 miles MAX with a repeater on some flat part of the land or on simplex. It is also very unlikely that you are going to have a 1500 watt kicker in your vehicle so your are transmitting with the 5 to 50 watts that the mobile unit puts out. If the repeater is below the horizon, you won't hit it with 50 watts and if you do you won't be able to hear it. So be realistic with expectations of a mobile unit. Pretty much line of site, unless you can hit a repeater.

We back-road on our UTV a lot and I carry my Kenwood TH F6A with me at all times. I also have it with me when hunting BUT, it is WORTHLESS, in the valleys and canyons of Arizona unless you just happen to get lucky and have a mountain top repeater in sight, and that is the optimum word "sight". If you can't see the mountain top you can't hit the repeater period. Trying to talk to someone in the next valley is not possible, so again you have to be realistic with radios. They are limited in range. Someone mentioned SPOT and I carry one, because I sometimes hunt alone, or we are in the border area of Arizona where I want help and want it now if I need it. It is the go to for safety. A radio, HAM or CB is not.

Now for a personal opinion, and it is just that so don't flame me. I did not like the "no-code" when they came up with the idea and I don't like it now. It took away that "elite" that those of us who had to prove our ability to "code" had. In some cases it made some of the repeaters along major interstate highways sound like channel 19 on the CB. Ok, I am off my soapbox.

kf5qby

Line of site is definitely something to keep in mind. That being said, I have carried on simplex conversations with another driver out between Childress and Vernon, TX with a separation of about 10 miles before the signal broke up.

kf5qby

One point on antennas whether it is CB or HAM:

A good well-tuned antenna will make even a mediocre radio work well.
A bad antenna or one that is not tuned correctly will make even the best radio not work and could possibly damage the radio.

If you don't know how to tune an antenna, then please reach out to a friend or professional who can set it up for you. Most HAM groups will be happy to help you set up your equipment.

NYSUPstater

One point on antennas whether it is CB or HAM:

A good well-tuned antenna will make even a mediocre radio work well.
A bad antenna or one that is not tuned correctly will make even the best radio not work and could possibly damage the radio.

If you don't know how to tune an antenna, then please reach out to a friend or professional who can set it up for you. Most HAM groups will be happy to help you set up your equipment.

This is very true. Most CB's have a little indicator antenna light that will come on when mic is depressed if the radio "detects" a bad connection between radio and antenna. I run a K40 magnet mount on pick up where the baseload and whip twist off. and weather cap attaches in place of baseload. Noticed after it was serviced at dealer the baseload/antenna where making noise after I left dealership. Pulled over and saw it somehow either got removed by tech or antenna hit the ceiling, but the whole thing was just flopping around on the roof. Where the base load attaches or supposed to be attached to the magnet part was rusted to beat all. Somehow, the magnet and baseload still "attract" one another and I re-attached the 2. Thinking the worst and antenna set up was ka-put, lo and behold, it still works fine and NO antenna light. Have had this particular K40 since 2003 or so. On my semi, I run a K40 Trucker and it's mounted w/ conventional bracket behind cab on a light bar. Usually about once a year, I have to replace the antenna stud cuz it gets all corroded due to salt use in the winter. Again, antenna will lite up if a prob is detected. Run a Connex 3400HP in semi and have talked via skip with others in IL, KY and NC while moving from CNY. In fact, the one in IL got me hooked up w/ a CB shop in IL because we have none left in CNY (or those that are, are not worth a hoot). Costs me S/H both ways, but radio is working awesome.

ksucats

Just how bad is the vulgarity on CB or Ham these days? The wife and I met over CB 46 years ago and kept up with it until I was transferred to Germany in 1975. When we got back we noticed how bad the language had gotten that we just put up the radios and have not tried them since. However, getting close to retirement and thinking about going back into it. Plus was Civil Air Patrol for many years and miss it so may go back to that as well :D.