Nightstands below window mounting

NYSUPstater

We were assured our couch was to have the nightstands below the windows in BR at time of mfr. Well for some reason HL either stopped doing it for this model or overall----dunno. Anyways, dealer was able to secure and send me the shelves as I told them I'd mount them myself. Figured how hard can it be right? It turns out there are no predrilled holes for any kind of screws whatsoever!!!! How the heck are they mounted during construction then?? Super Glue? "L" brackets? Advice on how to mount them?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I removed that shelf on my side as I kept bumping into it. It had 3 screws plus a bead of clear silicone caulking across the top. The first screw was 7" from the rear corner, second screw 15 3/4" appeared to be anchored in a stud, the third was 24". The end screws were south of the side window frames where one might assume some frame work.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a reminder here, be sure you know how thick the slide walls are before running a screw through them.

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I've heard of alot of people removing theirs because they were in the way and was always bumping into them.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A 1” penetration into the slide wall is safe. BTDT mounting light switches to it.

For mounting those shelves, depending on your wood working skills, you could use pocket holes from the bottom or get fancy and try keyhole mounts along the edge (depends on the shelf panel thickness). Last method would be metal L-brackets under them. I used them to attach my rebuilt window valances in some spots.
An adhesive is recommended for the shelves.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I actually added my own shelves since our unit didn't come with them (though it looked like it might have had the shelves removed, there were evidence of holes.)

I used lots of command strips to attach mine. The only weight will be glasses, phone and maybe a remote.

e5510567a740f3da1fa411253597fa46.jpg

NYSUPstater

Never thought of the Command Strips. Great idea and suggestion!! The shelves I got don't have any holes in them whatsoever which is why I asked how the factory mounted them. Thought that to be odd.

travelin2

Our shelves were attached with 3 of these self tappers
2edaa029058d2d7c0a8b396f4e256ef6.jpg

In the 3010 I mounted a shelf above the head board. In this rig the DW had me install a framed wall hanging there

travelin2

Our bed extends right up to the wall in our bedroom and ours came with shelves below the windows. After hitting the shelf too many times to count, I removed them and added them to the dinette area.
url]

I've heard of alot of people removing theirs because they were in the way and was always bumping into them.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Exactly why mine disappeared!!!

BobTheBuilder

After reading many comments about hitting heads, hard to reach, etc., I came up with a different solution. These baskets are from Dollar Tree, $1. Since it is flexible, I don't mind bumping into it. Attached with Velcro strips, I pull them off to make the bed so they are out of the way. They are deep and with the sloped sides, are easily reached into. I have cell phone, TV control, package of tissues, small bottle of brandy, plastic brandy sniffer, bottle of water, flashlight and my glasses! They also fit perfectly in the shelf over the W/D hook up box and in the medicine cabinet.20170628_091833.jpg20171012_193311.jpg20171012_193326.jpg

CoveredWagon

Add me to the "I removed the shelf" group. Well I removed the one my side of the bed, keep whacking in in the middle of the night. Wife liked hers so that one stayed. I also cutdown those goofy little things (shelves ?) half way up the edge of the slide wall. The shelf I removed from the wall I mounted under the window on the rear of the living room slide just under the window next to the rear recliner. Great place to keep the remote for tv and fireplace etc.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading many comments about hitting heads, hard to reach, etc., I came up with a different solution. These baskets are from Dollar Tree, $1. Since it is flexible, I don't mind bumping into it. Attached with Velcro strips, I pull them off to make the bed so they are out of the way. They are deep and with the sloped sides, are easily reached into. I have cell phone, TV control, package of tissues, small bottle of brandy, plastic brandy sniffer, bottle of water, flashlight and my glasses! They also fit perfectly in the shelf over the W/D hook up box and in the medicine cabinet.View attachment 54999View attachment 55000View attachment 55001

Wow howdifferent. Ours are wood.put a real whack onmyelbowdarn near every night.