Battery operated CO/LP gas detector

WalkTheLine

Ok I admit I am a little paranoid but I want a second LP/CO detector for my TT. I have been trying to locate a battery operated one that is not hardwired to the trailer itself. I want it isolated from the power supply. Does anyone know of a model that'll work?

Thanks!

wdk450

I am thinking that probably due to RV construction codes, RV LP detectors can ONLY be connected to the main 12 volt battery system. I am pretty sure that they are NOT allowed to be externally electrically fused, due to the unknowing loss of alarm protection from LP massive leakage if the fuse blows. The standard detector has its own internal fuse.

You could get a standard RV LP detector and wire it to a local battery pack (8 AA, or other size) Lithium batteries have the most stored energy in a particular battery size, but cost the most. The propane detectors have a low supply voltage chirp to alert you to change the batteries.

WalkTheLine

I am thinking that probably due to RV construction codes, RV LP detectors can ONLY be connected to the main 12 volt battery system. I am pretty sure that they are NOT allowed to be externally electrically fused, due to the unknowing loss of alarm protection from LP massive leakage if the fuse blows. The standard detector has its own internal fuse.

You could get a standard RV LP detector and wire it to a local battery pack (8 AA, or other size) Lithium batteries have the most stored energy in a particular battery size, but cost the most. The propane detectors have a low supply voltage chirp to alert you to change the batteries.

Thanks. I am keeping the factory installed LP/CO detector (with new batteries of course) but wanted a second one as a backup. I may go with your idea and order one then build a battery pack like you described. The reason I want one separate from the TT power supply is to guard against electrical surge and failure as well as a backup to the hardwired unit. Unless, all this is a waste of time and I should get one and simply wire it to an existing hot wire in the TT.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have an electrical surge, your 120V devices are the ones that will be affected. The LP detector is wired directly to the 12V battery and is always on unless you disconnect the battery cables.

Adding a second independent unit seems unnecessary and you would be changing batteries often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wdk450

Previous posters on this topic wanted another LP gas detector alarm because they had an incident of propane gas leak strong enough to smell easily where the alarm didn't go off. This was probably due to the standard placement of the LP detector well away from any LP gas lines/sources. It is usually mounted on the rearmost wall of the trailer near the floor. The posters wanted to mount the additional alarm in the kitchen area.

WalkTheLine

If you have an electrical surge, your 120V devices are the ones that will be affected. The LP detector is wired directly to the 12V battery and is always on unless you disconnect the battery cables.

Adding a second independent unit seems unnecessary and you would be changing batteries often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to know...I didn't realize this. I feel better now. Thanks!