Front Landing Gear/Legs Motor

kaxel

The front landing gear/legs on our Cyclone fifth wheel would not work when we arrived for camping three days ago. We discovered that a screw had sheared off and the connecting rod would not turn. We were able to replace the screw and nut, but it appears that the motor for the gear is loose. We cannot see any missing screws, but our generator is in the way of getting a good look. We also can not easily get to the motor - just getting the new screw and nut on the rod was a huge challange. Now we want to assure that the motor will not fall loose. Anyone hava an idea on how to access the motor with a generator installed? Thanks!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After having my Bighorn for over 2 years now, I noticed last week my motor moves when cranking the jacks up or down. I thought it was loose and tried to tighten the screws that I had access to. They were tight! It seems that the whole gear housing moves on the output shaft. I have not determined yet if this is normal. We just returned from a short trip to MN. I found that if I lift the motor so that the screw head doesn't hit it, the movement stops. I may just try to support the motor and gear housing away from the shaft bolt. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks

Loco

Kaxel,
The motor is not mounted tight on these units. It will move a little went it is running. But if you want to get to it just to make sure. Just remove the front panel inside your transverse compartment. You can get right to it then.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Just remove the front panel inside your transverse compartment. You can get right to it then.

Oh my god!!! How two dimentionally was I thinking???!!! Here I was trying to figure out how to squeeze my little butt into that front battery compartment to reach over the generator:eek::eek:

Learned something new this morning - quota for the day met.

Thanks,

FJ

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Kaxel,
The motor is not mounted tight on these units. It will move a little went it is running. But if you want to get to it just to make sure. Just remove the front panel inside your transverse compartment. You can get right to it then.
Loco is right on the money. I removed the plastic panel on the outer side of the gear housing and the motor/gear housing has two "feet" that straddle the upper leg. The unit is basically held in place by the bolt that attaches the cross shaft to the output shaft of the gear housing. I plan on doing as I mentioned before and lift the motor with a strap just enough to keep it away from the shaft bolt.