high pressure regulator issues

Bones

Ok so I am here again almost 2 years later. My High pressure regulator has blown out again. It is leaking out the breathing hole. So I think it is obvious that I have a problem with the system. Danemayer had suggested a while ago that I could have a problem with the automatic change over valve. I have also read online that I could have a problem with someone overfilling my propane tank. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it from happening again. How can one tell the tank is overfilled if that is the issue? At this point this will be my third regulator.

chaplady

Possibly Google the brand & model regulator for reviews.See if others are having issues. Also contact a propane distributor or the regulator manufacturer, they be able to offer some suggestions as to what is happening. 3rd option might be utube videos alot of information their.

Lou_and_Bette

Bones, I have had to replace mine only once and when I went to my trusty RV supply store for a replacement the technician laughed and informed me this wasn't unusual because, in his opinion, these regulators where fairly cheaply made and fail often. Some last for quite a while and others not so long. Kind of a luck of the draw. The main component in the regulators that fails is the rubber diaphragm. If this is the culprit, then I would think local weather conditions have a large effect on its longevity.

Bones

Bones, I have had to replace mine only once and when I went to my trusty RV supply store for a replacement the technician laughed and informed me this wasn't unusual because, in his opinion, these regulators where fairly cheaply made and fail often. Some last for quite a while and others not so long. Kind of a luck of the draw. The main component in the regulators that fails is the rubber diaphragm. If this is the culprit, then I would think local weather conditions have a large effect on its longevity.
I agree with you. I just may have bad units. I might start keeping one in my tool box as a just in case.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I have replaced the crossover regulator three times within a month. Also, when I installed the last one, the feed hose from the tank on the off door side swelled and burst so another example of too much pressure. I noticed the auto feed device did not seem to be working properly. I would like to get the propane back into operation primarily so Donna can use her oven, but would like input from others on how to correct this problem.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Is there any black "goo" in the end of the pigtail when you disconnect from the tank? It's possible that you may have gotten some of the Mercaptan (the stuff that gives propane it's sulfur odor) when refilling a tank. I had to replace pigtails and regulators a few years ago due to this. It's not something that happens often but it does happen.

danemayer

I have replaced the crossover regulator three times within a month. Also, when I installed the last one, the feed hose from the tank on the off door side swelled and burst so another example of too much pressure. I noticed the auto feed device did not seem to be working properly. I would like to get the propane back into operation primarily so Donna can use her oven, but would like input from others on how to correct this problem.
Maybe the tank was overfilled. Try opening the overflow valve on the tank 1/2 to 1 turn with a screwdriver to see what kind of pressure release you get. There may be a little. Should only need it open for a few seconds. If you get a high pressure gas escape, you may need to get some propane out of the tank.

Another way to test would be to weigh the tank. A "40 lb" tank weighs 72 lbs full. If yours weighs more than 72 lbs, it's overfilled.

rxbristol

I replaced my high-pressure regulator last year with a more expensive type that's adjustable...sometimes you get what you pay for.

CDN

B and B
Hello,

They should be weighing the propane that goes into the tank. Make sure they check the tare weight of the tank. My local Costco has gone to computerized filling to prevent overfilling. Also the tanks I have and can buy are Overfill Protection Device equipped. I have lost 3 hi pass regulators on my SOB. Been very lucky with my Heartland season 1. Thinking this might be a carry along part when we travel more.

Brian

mlpeloquin

Earlier this year while hooking up, I turned on the gas cylinder. My wife said it smells! Sure enough it smelled of Propane. I opened the bottle compartment and wow! Turned off the tank valve. We camped without any propane on our short trip. When we got back I installed an inverter, battery switch, fuse, and transfer switch to power the refrigerator while traveling. I also ordered two of the cheep single stage regulators and a spare switch over. The problem was the single stage regulator. I do not want a leaking regulator while going down the road and one cannot predict just when it will give out.

evojohn

I have the same issue. The high pressure regulator failed and is leaking. However, I have a deeper question: Why does the left side tank have a high pressure regulator that feeds one side of the 2 stage regulator and the closer tank is mounted directly to the 2 stage regulator?
Why do I even need the high pressure regulator on 1 side but not the other?

danemayer

I have the same issue. The high pressure regulator failed and is leaking. However, I have a deeper question: Why does the left side tank have a high pressure regulator that feeds one side of the 2 stage regulator and the closer tank is mounted directly to the 2 stage regulator?
Why do I even need the high pressure regulator on 1 side but not the other?

RVIA safety code for high pressure propane feed lines crossing the coach requires iron pipe. The alternative is to use lower cost and easier to install flexible tubing in which case the pressure must be be reduced.

SLO

RVIA safety code for high pressure propane feed lines crossing the coach requires iron pipe. The alternative is to use lower cost and easier to install flexible tubing in which case the pressure must be be reduced.

I guess that explains why the tank on opposite side of cross over valve has a regulator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

I guess that explains why the tank on opposite side of cross over valve has a regulator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The single regulator reduces pressure to about 10 psi. The dual regulator reduces pressure to a much lower 11 water column inches of pressure (about 6 oz).

carl.swoyer

I don't think I am having issues with the regulator.
Every time I fill my propane I ask them to open the bleeder screw and when you get a burp of propane they close it.
Not saying this has anything to do with it but my regulators are original.
I wonder if bleeding the air out might have something to do with the longevity of my regulators.
Mine are 2012 installed by the factory.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

Re: high pressure regulator issuesr

The inline pressure regulator that has been on both our coaches has been 30psi one. When the last one failed just before we were leaving town without the rig and severe cold weather was predicted, I could not find one at any of the 6 places I can get parts at. So, out of desperation, I went to a local propane dealer and they recommend one of the adjustable ones that are usually used in conjunction with the big cookers we use in the South for frying turkeys and boiling “mud bugs.” This regulator is adjustable from 0 to 30 psi. So, just opened it all the way and has been working perfectly ever since. This type regulator doesn’t have the “breather hole” that has a rubber diaphragm that deteriorates over time so I shouldn’t have to ever replace it again. Was slightly more expensive than the standard one but in the long run should be cheaper since replacement shouldn’t be necessary.