The customer in the middle!

4pence

I purchased a Bighorn 3055RL which was delivered by a Michigan dealer to my South Carolina home in early October 2006. In December 06 we had a leaking slide, talked with Gary Schellenberg at HL and the closest Camping World adjusted the slide without problems. In late summer of 2007 the front hatch door was delaminating, talked to Gary at HL and took the unit to CW who ordered a replacement door. In Sept 2007, while on vacation, a leak developed where the front cap meets the rubber roof and the front closet was soaked. As soon as we returned home I called Gary and told him the problem. He was very understanding even though the unit was a few days out of warranty by that time. He told me to get a quote. Since the season was over, I asked if it would be OK to wait until the new hatch door arrived and have both items taken care of together - he agreed. The door was delayed since HL had sent it to the wrong CW Store. The day came for the repairs and as the CW tech was moving the rig he noticed that the pin box was loose. Thorough checking showed no reason for this so CW gained approval from HL to remove the front cap and to check behind. There they found broken welds, bent support beam and other damage. The front end had to be rebuilt/strengthened with the cost shared between HL and Lippert.
Well, we got the rig back and took a couple of trips... then the fiberglass behind the pin box which was removed to make the repairs, started to sag and pull away from the side seams. We took the unit back to Camping World who in turn contacted Gary at HL. Heartland are talking the stand that CW did the work and should be willing to correct it. However, CW state that they did the job according to HL's instructions so HL are at fault. And so here we are - just the customers - stuck in the middle. Does anyone have any suggestions?

CampingJunkie

It seems to me that if Heartland instructed CW on how to fix and the fix is not a good one then they both are at fault. Maybe HL and CW should split the bill. A win win for all parties in my book.

4pence

That would be such a great solution but Gary Schellenberg, who we have been dealing with at HL, states that Heartland have already spent enough money on the camper. Apparently he forgets that we spent a lot to buy it and that HL wouldn't have had to spend anything if the welds had not been faulty. I have attached a picture of one of several welds that failed. You can see where the metal beam was originally attached and where it had separated and dropped several inches.
Each time we talk to CW we are told to call HL, each time we call HL we are told to contact CW. This is a very frustrating situation, we loved the camper but after this treatment it really doesn't make us want to recommend HL to others.

Attachments

• GAVIN_PENNY_011.jpg
    GAVIN_PENNY_011.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 128