Slow-Cooker BBQ Shredded Beef

soilmovers

Nothing better than a smoked brisket sandwich (Texas style) but this is pretty darn good and an easy recipe for the RV kitchen. Serves about 10.

1 (5 lb) boneless beef chuck-eye roast, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 cups brewed coffee- this is the secret ingredient!
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons brown mustard
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
salt and pepper
Sandwich rolls/hamburger buns

1) place beef in slow cooker. Cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Transfer bacon to slow cooker. Pour off all but 2 TBL bacon fat and cook onion until soft. Add chili powder, paprika and cook until fragrant- about 30 seconds. Stir in coffee, ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Simmer until reduced slightly- about 10 minutes. Add half the sauce to slow cooker and refrigerate the remaining half.
Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, about 8-10 hours.

2) Use slotted spoon and transfer meat to large bowl, cover with foil. Transfer cooking liquid to large skillet, skim fat and simmer until reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat and stir in the reserved sauce, hot sauce, vinegar and liquid smoke.

3) Pull meat into large chunks, discarding any excess fat. Toss meat with 1 1/2 cups sauce and let sit, covered, until meat has absorbed most of the sauce- about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve on rolls/buns and extra sauce. Good with coleslaw and baked beans!

This freezes well in ziplock freezer bags.

Wow, sounds Yummy.
I made something similar a couple months ago and it turned out great.
I also will buy a pork loin and place it in the slow cooker with either chicken broth or beef broth. Go off and leave it for about 4-5 hours. Makes terrific pulled pork sandwiches.

timk

Um, I think they can hang you in Texas for using bbq and slow cooker in the same sentence.

soilmovers

Um, I think they can hang you in Texas for using bbq and slow cooker in the same sentence.

Yes, you are correct about that. I thought I was forgiven with the opening paragraph "nothin' better than Texas smoked brisket".

Come up with a smoker I can store/haul in the RV and we'll forget the whole thing. lol

timk

Challenge accepted

Oh, that was so easy. Just need a little welding. Anything else?? :)

Attachments

• bbq.jpg
    bbq.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 23

hertzberg

I have a Bradley Smoker which I often take with me in the pickup bed. It's about the size of a small refrigerator and fits well in the pickup on it's side. It's electric and uses wood "pucks". Works great for ribs, brisket, chicken, and is really easy to use. www.bradleysmoker.com

But the crock-pot recipe sounds pretty good, and I'll give it a try.

soilmovers

I have a Bradley Smoker which I often take with me in the pickup bed. It's about the size of a small refrigerator and fits well in the pickup on it's side. It's electric and uses wood "pucks". Works great for ribs, brisket, chicken, and is really easy to use. www.bradleysmoker.com

But the crock-pot recipe sounds pretty good, and I'll give it a try.

Now, that's my kind of smoker! Thanks for the link.