Fresh water system not using all 57 gallons

kevskins

Having trouble with my 2011 elk ridge 27rlss using the while fresh water supply. I filled the tank, which my manual said is 57 gallons on a Saturday and by Thursday I was out of water. I found this odd because I used it mostly in 5 to 8 minute showers shutting off the water while lathering up. I decided to fill the tank using a five gallon bucket and it only took 20 gallons. Is there a pickup tube in the tank on the top and can I access it without pulling the tank or is it simply pull off the weather shield on the underside take the tank out and fix it that way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing that comes to my mind is it you actually had the tank full.
How did you determine that it was full when you started?

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I'm assuming you have a gravity fill, not the 4-way Anderson Valve. The gravity fill often backs up before the tank is full, or sometimes even half full. I tried a number of solutions on ours before fixing it by adding a hose connection that's teed into the PEX tubing from fresh tank to pump. I have an inexpensive water meter on that hose connection so I know how much water I'm adding to the tank.

Fresh-Tank-Fill.jpg

kevskins

I filled it through the fresh water fill tube with the garden bose until it came out of the overflow screen next to the filler neck.

LBR

How did you determine it was out of water on Thursday...did the pump cavatate or by the inside tank gauge?

kevskins

How did you determine it was out of water on Thursday...did the pump cavatate or by the inside tank gauge?

The pump cavitated. I unhooked the vent and am currently filling the tank slowly.it seems to be taking the water fine and I'm watching the gauge in my control panel as I fill it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm assuming you have a gravity fill, not the 4-way Anderson Valve. The gravity fill often backs up before the tank is full, or sometimes even half full. I tried a number of solutions on ours before fixing it by adding a hose connection that's teed into the PEX tubing from fresh tank to pump. I have an inexpensive water meter on that hose connection so I know how much water I'm adding to the tank.

View attachment 55062

Yes it is just a gravity fill.

- - - Updated - - -

This will probably help:

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P0550-Wat...F8&qid=1508083101&sr=8-3&keywords=water+meter

Be careful that you do not fill too fast. The pressure, rather than the water can force water up and out of the overflow giving a false "full" to the tank.

ordered thank you that will b very helpful. and yes i understand that and never gave it a thought really. i think i have it full now ill repost by next weekend to see what i happens... fingers crossed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the standard gravity fill with vent, it's easy to have water come back out of the filler neck before getting more than a few gallons into the tank. The vent line needs to be cleared before filling. Easiest way to do it is to take a short piece of tubing that will fit over the vent tube and blow into it until you actually hear gurgling. Then start filling the tank. First time I tried to fill my 75 gallon tank from a hose, I had the same problem after about 15 gallons. Cleared the vent and the tank filled.

Normally, while on our FHU summer site, I keep about 30 or so gallons in the tank for emergencies, like a CG power failure shutting off the pumps to the pedestal. That's for toilet flushing (using onboard pump) since even the CG bath houses will be out of service if the power fails. Happens rarely, but it does happen.

RAHanock

We also have a claimed 57 gallons of fresh water. I have found that our fresh water tank holds about 47 gallons with measuring the water flow using a meter and ensuring it is completely full. I believe that HL adds the 10 gallons of the hot water heater to the 47 to advertise 57 gallons.

Lynn1130

Certainly could be but mine says 100 gals fresh and measuring what goes in I get 114 which would be the 12 gal water heater and about 2 gals in the lines. Who knows what they use to measure the tanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The advertised volumes could very well be fun with numbers, but if the vent line is blocked/filled with water, you won't get much into the tank. I've never tried to completely fill my tank.

hoefler

Check your tank, is it sagging out the bottom or falling out?? Ours was sagging severly and started to fall out on the curb side, the outlet was on the road side. I raised the tank and re-supported it. No more sagging.

Gary521

Frequently, the vent fills with water and this will prevent the tank from filling properly. Get a tube or small hose and place over the vent opening. Blow on this tube until the vent clears. The tank should now fill properly. I always carried a tube for this process.

SMinter

Usually the stated volume is based on the tank measurements. While that will give the number of gallons it will hold, you probably cannot get that much out of it. The pump connection to the tank is a half or three fourths inch above the bottom of the tank so the pump will start sucking air even though there is water left in the tank. This is just a charastic of the poly tanks used in RVs. Too bad they don't tilt the tanks slightly toward the outlet end.

porthole

Retired
Numbers game.

Our Cyclone had an advertised tank capacity of 110 gallons. That worked out to two 50 gallon tanks and 10 gallons for the water heater.

I ended up replacing the water tanks for a 'capacity issue', 15-20 gallons of unusable water - and un-drainable as well.

The 50 gallon spec on the tanks calculated out to the outside measured dimensions of the tanks.
Take about 5 gallons away for interior dimensions (assuming 1/4" tank walls).

The vent line was on the sidewalls is near the top of the tanks. Once the water hits the vent you are done filling (by gravity means), so you can subtract another 1/2' of usable water. Take another 1/2" off the bottom and you lose 5-6 gallons of usable capacity.

Maybe the above can help explain your capacity issue.

The vent lines mentioned above were a frequent problem before the introduction of the can-leak valves.

My original vent lines drooped between the tanks and the vent in the docking stations. Once water got in the vent - it stopped venting.

Useless info for your issue.

We have a 30 gallon advertised fuel cell in the trailer (toy hauler). Again, outside measurements. Fuel tanks can't be filled 100%, need some air space. As a result, the most I ever got in the tanks was 25 gallons.
Doesn't seem like much, but is a 17% difference.

Cyclone water tanks

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=247358&viewfull=1#post247358

avvidclif

On mine I have put 94 gal in the water tank before overflow and 28.5 gal in the gas tank. And it had gas in it as the generator was demo'ed when I picked it up. Maybe they changed things later on.