Generator Fuel Type

Evening All!, I need to know if I get the generator prep option on a Big Horn, is it the intention of this prep to use LP gas? I want to use gasoline as the fuel, in my research both the 6.5kw as well as the 5.5kw Onan get a little better economy using gasoline verses LP. I've found out that the Cyclones have what is intended to be a 30 gal. tank for refueling what ever toys you may have and it also doubles as the fuel supply for the genset. What is the set up for the Big Horn to use gas? This is a huge issue for me! I will be staying full time in this unit and want the ability to not have to have stationary elec. I've long decided against a toy hauler, I've made the decision to go with a Big Horn and there is no turning back at this point!!!!............................Boatracer95

Forrest Fetherolf

Evening All!, I need to know if I get the generator prep option on a Big Horn, is it the intention of this prep to use LP gas? I want to use gasoline as the fuel, in my research both the 6.5kw as well as the 5.5kw Onan get a little better economy using gasoline verses LP. I've found out that the Cyclones have what is intended to be a 30 gal. tank for refueling what ever toys you may have and it also doubles as the fuel supply for the genset. What is the set up for the Big Horn to use gas? This is a huge issue for me! I will be staying full time in this unit and want the ability to not have to have stationary elec. I've long decided against a toy hauler, I've made the decision to go with a Big Horn and there is no turning back at this point!!!!............................Boatracer95

The BH gen prep is only the electrical wiring, the fuel/propane lines are installed with gen.

Forrest

Thanks for the reply!, So is a fuel tank and I would assume fuel pump needed to complete this install? I've checked out Onan's site and can't seem to find enough info. Does the prep include hour meter, start system and the like? Or is it just some type of transfer switch? Thanks for all and any info, I don't like feeling like I'm going into this with blinders. And I don't necessarily trust a dealer or salesman, I know offshore boats not RV's...............................Boatracer95

Forrest Fetherolf

Thanks for the reply!, So is a fuel tank and I would assume fuel pump needed to complete this install? I've checked out Onan's site and can't seem to find enough info. Does the prep include hour meter, start system and the like? Thanks for all and any info, I don't like feeling like I'm going into this with blinders. And I don't necessarily trust a dealer or salesman, I know offshore boats not RV's...............................Boatracer95

BR95,

Prep include hour meter, remote start system and transfer switch..........no fuel pump, fuel tanks, etc.

Forrest

billd

You will have to work with your installer as the the fuel type and placement of everything.

Bill

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks for the reply!, So is a fuel tank and I would assume fuel pump needed to complete this install? I've checked out Onan's site and can't seem to find enough info. Does the prep include hour meter, start system and the like? Or is it just some type of transfer switch? Thanks for all and any info, I don't like feeling like I'm going into this with blinders. And I don't necessarily trust a dealer or salesman, I know offshore boats not RV's...............................Boatracer95

Racer,

There's a guy hanging out on the forum that goes by the name "Ray Robinson" Landmark & Bighorn Sales. I bet that if you sent him a PM asking the pertinent questions he could set your mind at ease as to what could and couldn't be done from a factory point of view (assuming he is factory).

I haven't dealt with him but, there are folks on the forum just today that are singing his praise.

Dave

Truknutt, I contacted Coley Brady today to find out that what I want to do is not permissable from a legal standpoint as far as the factory is concerned. It has to do with the gasoline fumes and venting of, it has nothing to do with carbonmonoxide fumes. I'm a little disappointed, I really don't want to use LPG for the genset but this is the norm, although everything I've ever done has always been outside the box, I may have to step back in the box on this, using it for the majority of heat is bad enough. Have got a few options to consider,WHEW!! I want this whole deal a clean,concealed and sanitary option, and as always I've managed to complicate things again!...................................Boatracer95

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hey Racer, You've got my curiosity up. What did Coley Brady tell you about the gasoline fumes and the legal issues? I have a genny installed in the front compartment and it is gasoline operated so I use a boat fuel tank for it. I had it transferred from our previous 5er to the BH when we bought it. Since we've had it over five years we've never smelled any gas fumes at any time.

He said "they" the factory that is would not install a fixed gas tank for this set-up. And suggested I go with LPG, by the way I've heard of people using boat fuel tanks for genset fuel supply, where are you placing the tank? I'm looking for a completely self contained install. Does anyone Have any suggestions? I'll have to obtain everything aftermarket and do it myself....................................Boatracer95

tcbrady

Boatracer95,
As we discussed yesterday, we can't do a gas generator install at the factory because is against RVIA code. That being said, I know of a number of customer who have added a gas generator after market. It is up to the customer to determine if that if what they really need as Heartland can't stop a customer from added a gas generator.
thanks, Coley

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have a friend with an 04' HR Presidential...he installed a gas powered generator and he used older model Mustang gas tank. The type that uses the top of the gas tank as the trunk floor pan. He installed it several years ago and it works great!!!

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hey Racer, I put the boat fuel tank in the same compartment as the genset. What I use is the six gallon sold by Walmart. Since we seldom dry camp and I need it for health reasons I keep the tank filled. If for some reason we have to overnight in a truck stop or something I fill the tank when we stop to refuel the TV. I can run all night which, for me, is about six hours, even using the air conditioner.

kathyo

Kathy and I coose to put a gasoline generator from Guardian in our Bighorn 3400RL. We have a 7500 Watt Guardian RV Model. We connect an external boat type fuel tank that we plug into a boat fitting that fits throught the front of the trailer. The tank sits on the ground. The fitting is a quick disconnect for a Nisson Outboard. The generator was purchased from A National Tool Catalog. When we run low on fuel we disconnect the tank and travel into town to fill it. Guardian has a LP Gas model for $100 more. The generator can be remotely started using the Heartland installed start switch inside the front door coat closet. Call National at 800-556-7885 and ask for the catalog "All Generators On Sale"

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Racer, Im sure you have a good reason to want the genset in the coach. But I wanted the storage in our BH, so I bought a portable one. I payed 1K for a 3 KW Kapor, weighs less that a 100# and we just leave it in the TV and plug into it. In fact you cant even hear it running in the TV. Just a side note, I dont need extension cords now, I just roll it out to where ever I need 110 power and it starts with a key. Just a thought. Bob:D:D:eek: