Best Pin Box for the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

robk

I realize there are several other rambling discussions about the Anderson and various pin boxes that go back a couple years. So what's the verdict on the best pin box for the Anderson? Or at least what is everybody's experience? I have the aluminum version that I really love. There's no looseness or clunking at all. It's a breeze to hook up. I can install and remove the hitch in seconds by myself. And when the hitch is removed the bed of the truck is completely flat and usable. For reference my tow vehicle is a Silverado 3500 DRW long-bed diesel. Camper is a Road Warrior 415RW. I plan to install airbags to hopefully absorb some of the "bang" I get when the rear axle goes over certain surfaces. My bigger concern is the fore and aft surge; i.e. chucking. Considering the 18K pounds gross weight of the camper and the 8K pounds weight of the truck, physics kind of dictates there will always be some chucking. I'd like to minimize it as much as possible. I'm considering the MorRyde rubber pin box or the TrailAir. Maybe the Reese Airborne. I don't believe the FlexAir is an option with the Anderson. The MorRyde is a bit different and I worry how long the rubber will hold up. However Heartland is including the MorRyde on the Road Warriors standard now. The TrailAir and Airborne are about double the cost of the MorRyde. A factor, but not a showstopper. Thoughts?

Clark2262

I realize there are several other rambling discussions about the Anderson and various pin boxes that go back a couple years. So what's the verdict on the best pin box for the Anderson? Or at least what is everybody's experience? I have the aluminum version that I really love. There's no looseness or clunking at all. It's a breeze to hook up. I can install and remove the hitch in seconds by myself. And when the hitch is removed the bed of the truck is completely flat and usable. For reference my tow vehicle is a Silverado 3500 DRW long-bed diesel. Camper is a Road Warrior 415RW. I plan to install airbags to hopefully absorb some of the "bang" I get when the rear axle goes over certain surfaces. My bigger concern is the fore and aft surge; i.e. chucking. Considering the 18K pounds gross weight of the camper and the 8K pounds weight of the truck, physics kind of dictates there will always be some chucking. I'd like to minimize it as much as possible. I'm considering the MorRyde rubber pin box or the TrailAir. Maybe the Reese Airborne. I don't believe the FlexAir is an option with the Anderson. The MorRyde is a bit different and I worry how long the rubber will hold up. However Heartland is including the MorRyde on the Road Warriors standard now. The TrailAir and Airborne are about double the cost of the MorRyde. A factor, but not a showstopper. Thoughts?

I have the MorRyde rated at 18K and I'm not happy with it. My trailer is rated for 18K and I'm probably running at 17K. I talked to someone in the campground last week and they have the same problem - horrible chucking. The back and forth bouncing is really bad. I've towed it with an Andersen Ultimate (the newest model) and a Curt 24K and two different trucks. Always the same problem. Actually, a friend of mine towed my camper and said "Hey, I think your MorRyde is broken." because it bounced him around so much. I don't know what the answer is. I'm currently working with MorRyde to get this resolved. The asked me for the "spring" size (the rubber piece inside the pin box) and mine is a number 5 which should be right. I'm wondering if a non-cushioned pin box is the answer? Tractor trailers don't use cushioned pin boxes?

porthole

Retired
I have the MorRyde rated at 18K and I'm not happy with it. My trailer is rated for 18K and I'm probably running at 17K. I talked to someone in the campground last week and they have the same problem - horrible chucking. The back and forth bouncing is really bad. I've towed it with an Andersen Ultimate (the newest model) and a Curt 24K and two different trucks. Always the same problem. Actually, a friend of mine towed my camper and said "Hey, I think your MorRyde is broken." because it bounced him around so much. I don't know what the answer is. I'm currently working with MorRyde to get this resolved. The asked me for the "spring" size (the rubber piece inside the pin box) and mine is a number 5 which should be right. I'm wondering if a non-cushioned pin box is the answer? Tractor trailers don't use cushioned pin boxes?

We upped the size of the rubber spring in our MOR/ryde. Was done at no charge while we were at MOR/ryde.

If you look on the bottom plate you can see the marks where the plastic blocks slide.
It is OK for the pin box move the full amount available on the rails and bump into the rubber stops. But normal driving should not hit the stops.

At 17K you should probably have a larger durometer (their rating system) spring.

robk

I'm a little disappointed to hear that as I'm looking hard at the MorRyde. My trailer is the same size as yours and MorRyde is recommending the number 5 as well. It could be that the rubber spring on yours is damaged. I'd be very interested to hear if you find some resolution. I'm towing with a 3500 dually and the Anderson Ultimate. I do get some annoying "chucking", or fore and aft movement. I've heard others say good things about the MorRyde. I also noticed Heartland is putting them on the new models. Let us know the outcome.

- - - Updated - - -

We upped the size of the rubber spring in our MOR/ryde. Was done at no charge while we were at MOR/ryde.

If you look on the bottom plate you can see the marks where the plastic blocks slide.
It is OK for the pin box move the full amount available on the rails and bump into the rubber stops. But normal driving should not hit the stops.

At 17K you should probably have a larger durometer (their rating system) spring.

You don't say the size of your rig or how the MorRyde is working for you. Do you think it improved the chucking? Did the heavier shear spring improve things?

Clark2262

I'm a little disappointed to hear that as I'm looking hard at the MorRyde. My trailer is the same size as yours and MorRyde is recommending the number 5 as well. It could be that the rubber spring on yours is damaged. I'd be very interested to hear if you find some resolution. I'm towing with a 3500 dually and the Anderson Ultimate. I do get some annoying "chucking", or fore and aft movement. I've heard others say good things about the MorRyde. I also noticed Heartland is putting them on the new models. Let us know the outcome.

I've searched and MORryde seems to get the best reviews. At least the most consistent "really good" reviews. I took it apart to get the number off the spring and did not notice any problems. I might take it apart again and inspect it a little more thoroughly. Here is a pic of the "dust trails". I'll let you know in a couple of weeks after I tow again and get some more answers for the folks a MORryde.

Attachments

• MORryde Dust Trails.jpg
    MORryde Dust Trails.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 90

CoveredWagon

I've searched and MORryde seems to get the best reviews. At least the most consistent "really good" reviews. I took it apart to get the number off the spring and did not notice any problems. I might take it apart again and inspect it a little more thoroughly. Here is a pic of the "dust trails". I'll let you know in a couple of weeks after I tow again and get some more answers for the folks a MORryde.

Wow that looks like a lot of movement. I too have the MORryde pinbox. Granted I have a much lighter and shorter trailer than you folks are discussing. I have no idea what the spring rate is as the pinbox was installed at the factory, but I show a lot less movement than Clark does. I also must say I am very pleased with how the combination of the Andersen hitch and the MORryde pinbox pull.

porthole

Retired
You don't say the size of your rig or how the MorRyde is working for you. Do you think it improved the chucking?

2010 Cyclone 3010.
The MOR/ryde pinbox was installed at the dealer when new by MOR/ryde. My guess is the durometer rating at the time was based on the GVW of the trailer which was only 14K

So, I can't say that it improved chucking, it was on since day 1. I have only recently not towed with the MR pin box.

Did the heavier shear spring improve things?

During one of my stops at the MOR/ryde plant we discussed the ride and the weight of the trailer and they upped the spring. Our trailer typically rides pretty heavy (over the labeled GVW) and the new spring made a difference.

Only in the last few thousand miles have I not had the MOR/ryde pinbox, I replaced it with a Reese goosebox. As for chucking, the MOR/ryde is superior to the goosebox when in comes to chucking and hooking up.

I did do an approximately 900 mile test some time ago with a Lippert trailer air tri glide. Terrible ride when used in conjunction with a PullRite SuperGlide

Clark2262

I spoke to MORryde. Looks like I'm going to order a larger spring, the largest they have, which is one up from my current spring. The cost is $199.

CoveredWagon

I spoke to MORryde. Looks like I'm going to order a larger spring, the largest they have, which is one up from my current spring. The cost is $199.

Glad to hear you may have a resolution. Sure hope it works out and you like the results. We are very happy with our combination. It is interesting to look in the rear view mirror and see the relative movement in the pinbox and not feel anything in the truck.

porthole

Retired

Argue with MOR/ryde that they should have placed the proper spring in from the beginning. Squeaky wheel here.....

Get them to send you the spring at no charge in return for you doing the work. Again - squeaky wheel.

Clark2262

Argue with MOR/ryde that they should have placed the proper spring in from the beginning. Squeaky wheel here.....

Get them to send you the spring at no charge in return for you doing the work. Again - squeaky wheel.

Thanks for the pep talk. I'll do it!

EWG

So do you need a Mor/ryde with a Anderson Hitch pulling a 18K 5er? Or does the standard pin box work?

A future owner.

CoveredWagon

So do you need a Mor/ryde with a Anderson Hitch pulling a 18K 5er? Or does the standard pin box work?

A future owner.

Certainly not needed. Personally I think it just adds something else to make towing smoother. Andersen makes hooking up very simple and eliminates chucking when towing.

EWG

It would seem that it is not necessary. However I can see that a little extra give might be nice. Yet in the previous threads it seems a little upgrade (a heavier spring) may be needed. Or was it just worn? I hope to hear from others with a standard pin box and there experience with the Anderson. Thanks in advance to all.

CoveredWagon

It would seem that it is not necessary. However I can see that a little extra give might be nice. Yet in the previous threads it seems a little upgrade (a heavier spring) may be needed. Or was it just worn? I hope to hear from others with a standard pin box and there experience with the Anderson. Thanks in advance to all.

As I'm traveling down the road, I can look in the rear view mirror and see relative movement in the MORryde pinbox. Granted mine is sized correctly for our trailer. You can also see that there has been movement by looking at the lower plate of the pinbox and see tracks in the dust dirt.

Chippendale

A future owner.

When I first heard about the Andersen hitch, I was towing a Gateway with a basic plain vanilla pin box, using a Reese 16K slider hitch and it was chucking me to death. After installing the Andersen, there was no chucking and the ride was great. Traded the Gateway for a Landmark with the Mor/ryde and right away noticed a sort of back and forth motion, but very little if any chucking. I have gotten use to towing with the Mor/ryde pin box and now seldom notice the back and forth motion, it was always slight. My opinion is that the Andersen works just fine with the basic pin box, spend the money on something else.

Chippendale

With the Landmark you may need the heavier spring as well.

Going to have to look into this, did not know the Mor/ryde was adjustable. As I mentioned in my post, I have pretty much gotten use to the small amount of movement, so I am not sure unless it was a safety issue that I would change what I had. But, were I ordering a new trailer, I would probably order it with the basic pin box and spend the money on something else.

Clark2262

Going to have to look into this, did not know the Mor/ryde was adjustable. As I mentioned in my post, I have pretty much gotten use to the small amount of movement, so I am not sure unless it was a safety issue that I would change what I had. But, were I ordering a new trailer, I would probably order it with the basic pin box and spend the money on something else.

Ordered the new spring from MORryde. They offered me dealer cost which was very kind of them. I have high expectations that this will resolve the back and forth movement. The spring is rated for up to 23,000 lbs but the pin box is still rated at 18K which is the gross weight for my trailer. This is their heaviest spring, a #6. I will be towing with a PullRite ISR rated at 20,000 lbs and Reese base rail adapter rated at 25,000 lbs. (Got the base rail adapter for $100 on CraigsList!). This combination of base rail adapter and hitch will be much lighter than the Curt 24K I was using but heavier than the Andersen I had that collapsed. The PullRite weighs in at 52 lbs and the Reese adapter is about 90 lbs. Both are very manageable.

Attachments

• PullRite with Reese Base Rail Adapter v2.jpg
    PullRite with Reese Base Rail Adapter v2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 49