Fresh Water Tank Santizing/Filtration Solutions

6.7LMegaCab

Good evening fellow Heartland Owners!

New user here. We recently purchased a 2014 Road Warrior 400 about a month ago. The previous (1st) owner recommended this forum, so I've been lurking on here ever since. Such a huge wealth of information!

Our previous Toy Hauler was a bumper pull Weekend Warrior. The water tanks had a direct fill so it was fairly easy to put chlorine in it to sanitize the tank. I'm not finding a way with this rig.

What do y'all do to sanitize your fresh water tanks with the Anderson Valve assembly and no direct way to the tanks, that I can find anyhow?

What type of filters do you run or is recommended? This past spring we had a water softener installed as well as a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink in our house. Where the water softener is at, there is a water spigot right before it feeds into the house. Will the softened water be good in the tank and will a filter under the sink make it taste a smidge better? I've tried drinking the softened water and it's definitely an acquired taste, better than the city water, but still...

We have 4 school age kids, so while bottled water would be ideal and an easier route, it's just not feasible with how much water we all drink, let alone used for coffee and cooking.

What options do I have? In about 2 1/2 months we will be living out of it for a month or two while we sell our house and in transition for our next move to NM (Air Force), so having good tasting water is a must!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Oh! One last thing, is there a way to tie in a 2" ball valve for the fresh water tank? What I think is the fresh water drain line on the left side, is just too small for my patience lol.

Thanks again!

Oregon_Camper

To get the bleach into the tank, attached your fresh water hose to the 4-way valve, then pour desired amount of bleach into the other end of the hose. Finally, attach to water spigot....fill the tank.

For your water filter question, we just use a simple water filter. Here is the link to filter on Amazon

61nrZ7Jki-L._SL1500_.jpg

CoveredWagon

Sanitize/Winterize routes cleaning solution or antifreeze through the pump and to the plumbing faucets, shower, toilet. It does not route fluid into the fresh tank.

Did you open a faucet so the pump could push fluid to that fixture?

I have a little siphon attachment that I install in the tank fill line that will draw a mixture of bleach and water into the fresh water tank. It’s actually a part that came with a winter swimming pool cover.

rxbristol

To get the bleach into the tank, attached your fresh water hose to the 4-way valve, then pour desired amount of bleach into the other end of the hose. Finally, attach to water spigot....fill the tank.

This is what I do also, but for water filtration, I get some items from the RV Water Filter Store. I use a one micron filter before it hits an On The Go water softener for the whole house. Then it is further filtered, for drinking water, with the under-sink Premier Watts three stage system.

There are so many variations to water filtration that have to be balanced with flow and pressure.

Aim High.

6.7LMegaCab

For your water filter question, we just use a simple water filter. Here is the link to filter on Amazon

View attachment 55226
Thank you! Didn't even think about pouring it down the hose. Good call!

That's the same filter I use. Although it didn't cut it for taste since we are used to reverse osmosis filtered water. To my understanding it's bad for the water pump to install a RO system due you the pressure demands. Doesn't matter when connected to a city connection though, which we will be on for a month or two.

I found that there is a portable water softener, so between that and a couple household style filters, perhaps that is good setup for quality tasting water?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6.7LMegaCab

Sanitize/Winterize routes cleaning solution or antifreeze through the pump and to the plumbing faucets, shower, toilet. It does not route fluid into the fresh tank.

I have a little siphon attachment that I install in the tank fill line that will draw a mixture of bleach and water into the fresh water tank. It’s actually a part that came with a winter swimming pool cover.

We used the coach a couple weeks ago for the first time to figure everything out. We didn't, however, sanitize the lines since I didn't have a chance to read up on everything before our excursion.

I'll take a look at a siphoning attachment.

Thanks for the tip!

6.7LMegaCab

This is what I do also, but for water filtration, I get some items from the RV Water Filter Store. I use a one micron filter before it hits an On The Go water softener for the whole house. Then it is further filtered, for drinking water, with the under-sink Premier Watts three stage system.

There are so many variations to water filtration that have to be balanced with flow and pressure.

Aim High.
Thank you! I'll check out that store as well and look into that under sink system.

campcrew

Sanitize/Winterize routes cleaning solution or antifreeze through the pump and to the plumbing faucets, shower, toilet. It does not route fluid into the freshtank.

Can you give some details on the siphon attachment and operation. Thanks!

CoveredWagon

Can you give some details on the siphon attachment and operation. Thanks!

Last time I tried to use it it didn’t work as I’d thought. It use to work perfectly on the swimming pool, but not on the Rv for sanitizing. It may be that the outlet side had too much hatch pressure. 😐