What should my 12 v system read for voltage at switches etc?

NHCelt

So, I had the switch on my maxx air fan 12 v fan go bad, and in seeking a replacement switch, the tech asked what my voltage at the fan was....good question. I am plugged into shore power and got a reading of 13.6 dc volts.

The tech said that that is outside the range for their fans, which are 12v +/- 10%.

I have the stock intellipower inverter.

My question here is what is the acceptable range for 12v dc power? I know the intellipower inverter uses three power outputs to charge the battery...but will I get these three power levels throughout the entire rig?

Just making sure that I don't have a 12 volt issue that is going to cause me damage!

Thanks.

danemayer

When plugged into shore power, 120V AC goes to the Power Converter where it's changed to DC. The Power Converter both supplies power to the main fuse box inside the coach, and also charges the battery. Intelligent Power Converters, such as what we have in our trailers, vary their output voltage from 13.2V to 13.6V DC, depending on the charge that the battery needs. 13.6V DC indicates your battery is not fully charged. When it is, the voltage will drop to 13.2V DC.

If you have a fully charged battery and disconnect from shore power, the battery will supply about 12.6V DC. As the charge is depleted by running things, it may drop to 12V DC or even lower (but you'll have problems below 12V).

So, at the switch for you Maxx Air Fan, you'll read anywhere from 12V - 13.6V DC depending on condition of the battery and whether plugged into shore power.

The Maxx Aire documentation says the fan requires a minimum of 12V DC.

NHCelt

Thanks, Dan...that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if the 13.6 volts went to only the battery or throughout the system.

Just needed to verify it before telling him he must be wrong.

You should get paid for this....you're always right there with the answer!

Bob.jr

Thanks, Dan...that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if the 13.6 volts went to only the battery or throughout the system.

Just needed to verify it before telling him he must be wrong.

You should get paid for this....you're always right there with the answer!
X2 fantastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Gary521

A "technician" asked you how many volts a "12 volt" system has. This is some technician.

NHCelt

I do need to add that the Maxx air warranty tech/rep is sending me a new switch under warranty, but added that he thought that there should be something that regulated the voltage into the rv so that it is within the operating range of their switch...which he said was 12v +/- 10%.

Don't virtually all converters charge as high as 13.6, and is there any voltage regulation after the converter outputs the 13.6.....he was pretty adamant about it.

Kind of curious at this point...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, 12 volts + 10% = 13.2 volts, so that's close enough for me.
And after all these switches are being used in most RVs and the failure rate seems very low.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I do need to add that the Maxx air warranty tech/rep is sending me a new switch under warranty, but added that he thought that there should be something that regulated the voltage into the rv so that it is within the operating range of their switch...which he said was 12v +/- 10%.

Don't virtually all converters charge as high as 13.6, and is there any voltage regulation after the converter outputs the 13.6.....he was pretty adamant about it.

Kind of curious at this point...

If your battery is depleted, the Power Converter may go into boost mode, raising voltage as high as 14.4V DC.

No, there is no regulation between the Power Converter/Battery/Fuse Box and the fan.

If you talk with the tech again, you might share the attached information from the Progressive Dynamics PD9200 manual, showing the various output levels of the Power Converter. The Power Converter output goes to the fuse box and on to the fan and other 12V DC devices. The PD9200 is commonly used in larger RVs. But other Power Converters used in smaller RVs do the same.

Attachments

• Power Converter Voltage Levels.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 13

whp4262

So, I had the switch on my maxx air fan 12 v fan go bad, and in seeking a replacement switch, the tech asked what my voltage at the fan was....good question. I am plugged into shore power and got a reading of 13.6 dc volts.

The tech said that that is outside the range for their fans, which are 12v +/- 10%.

I have the stock intellipower inverter.

My question here is what is the acceptable range for 12v dc power? I know the intellipower inverter uses three power outputs to charge the battery...but will I get these three power levels throughout the entire rig?

Just making sure that I don't have a 12 volt issue that is going to cause me damage!

Thanks.

If you were hooked up to your truck with the engine running you might see as much as 14.2v. 13.6v should not be too high for the switch. Think you might have found a technician who isn’t really a technician.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gotfooled

13.4 is what an alternator supplies to a battery while charging. Fully charged battery will supply 12volts plus. Inverter acts like an alternator. There is nothing wrong with your system. 12v plus/minus 10% is approx. 13.2....not a problem.
Using a digital meter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]