Omni directional tv antenna on 2018 Mallard M28

Hi all, we have the above model Rv, I got the tv installed in its cubbyhole (a 39” Element from Walmart, $198), we get 4 stations here in the yard. This antenna looks like a black mushroom sitting on the roof. There is no handle to raise/lower it, or to turn it. Although hubby is legally blind, he still likes his tv. Any suggestions to improve reception, or can someone send me details on how to set up an external antenna & bypass the one on the roof? Thanks in advance!

James & Carol
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
2018 Mallard M28

BusManRG

Hi all, we have the above model Rv, I got the tv installed in its cubbyhole (a 39” Element from Walmart, $198), we get 4 stations here in the yard. This antenna looks like a black mushroom sitting on the roof. There is no handle to raise/lower it, or to turn it. Although hubby is legally blind, he still likes his tv. Any suggestions to improve reception, or can someone send me details on how to set up an external antenna & bypass the one on the roof? Thanks in advance!

James & Carol
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
2018 Mallard M28
I’ll be reading this with interest. I’ve just started checking out the Omni directional antennas and was thinking about getting one as a replacement for our manual antenna. And I’m wondering if you have the little boost button similar to ours in our closet. Not sure where would be located on your Mallard but we have a little antenna boost button back on a panel where the cable comes in to the unit

I’ll be reading this with interest. I’ve just started checking out the Omni directional antennas and was thinking about getting one as a replacement for our manual antenna. And I’m wondering if you have the little boost button similar to ours in our closet. Not sure where would be located on your Mallard but we have a little antenna boost button back on a panel where the cable comes in to the unit

Hi, we do have the boost button, little red button that lights up (under the tv). We live in Lake City, Fl & the only tv here is Direct or Dish. Later we are taking her out on the maiden run to see how it goes. We generally go to state parks. No cable there, so it will be interesting to see what we get. We took our king direction finder out of our other rv, & we still have the 2nd king head replacement that we bought for our house (that didn’t pan out). I was thinking I could mount that on a tripod somehow & make that work. Hubby doesn’t want any holes in the roof, & there is now ladder on the back to mount something on either, darn it.

Carol

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Do you have the batwing antenna now?

If so you can get a King/Jack replacement head that bolts on the same antenna mast for around $50 at Camping World.

ProwlerMaxxAirFrontDoneStorm-P1010871.jpg

Best $50 bucks I've ever spent on our RV!

I wish we did, it would be on there already, we did that to our 2012 Rockwood Ultralite. This one just has a black mushroom looking thing.
Carol:cool:

If so you can get a King/Jack replacement head that bolts on the same antenna mast for around $50 at Camping World.

View attachment 55362

justafordguy

I bet your King replacement head would work great on a small tri-pod. Getting up on the roof each time would be tough with no ladder built in but you could get a collapsible ladder and just lean it up near the mushroom antenna and use the same wire that goes to it.

JohnD

I bet your King replacement head would work great on a small tri-pod. Getting up on the roof each time would be tough with no ladder built in but you could get a collapsible ladder and just lean it up near the mushroom antenna and use the same wire that goes to it.

I’m thinking about getting one for the roof of our house, mounting it to the side of our DirecTV dish, and dumping DirecTV.

well, I talked to Heartland today, it seems we have a wine guard omnidirectional antenna on the roof. I’m hanging onto the other King head antenna we have & try mounting it on a tripod & see what happens. I also found out, much to my dismay, that we cannot mount a canopy slide cover on the other slide. I’m now kicking myself for not catching that. But that’s not for this thread......We’ll see how it goes & I’ll keep y’all posted

James & Carol
2014 GMC 1500
2018 Mallard m28

BusManRG

View attachment 55362

That’s actually what came standard on our big horn. But it’s a manual adjusting directional unit. King Jack now makes an Omni directional so no turning necessary. it’s supposed to pick up all the signals all the time. Just not sure how well it actually works.

JohnD

That’s actually what came standard on our big horn. But it’s a manual adjusting directional unit. King Jack now makes an Omni directional so no turning necessary. it’s supposed to pick up all the signals all the time. Just not sure how well it actually works.

From all of the things I've read, the replacement head works much better, doesn't require cutting a hole in the roof, and takes less that five minutes to install.

Took me longer to get up on the roof than it did to install!

As far as aiming goes, I bought a signal meter (at Camping World around $30) that helps me find where the stations are, plus there are several phone apps that work.

TVsignalFinder.jpg

I bought the King/Jack originally for our previous Heartland Trail Runner, but kept it for the Prowler.

JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg JackTVup-IMG_3936.jpg JackTVdown-IMG_3934.jpg

The biggest issue that I've read about the low profile King/Jack is that since it sits so low to the roof that the AC unit blocks signals if the antenna is aimed through it.

Lou_and_Bette

I’m thinking about getting one for the roof of our house, mounting it to the side of our DirecTV dish, and dumping DirecTV.

John, don’t know about dumping DirectTV but we are at our winter site on our daughters property. I erected a large “amplified” TV antenna similar to the ones every house had before cable/satellite service became available. I connected the input cable to the cable port in the dock and turn on the booster in the closet. I have the antenna pointed towards Mobile, Alabama which is East of us about 70 miles away and getting good reception. Also, raised the rig antenna, King Jack, which is pointing Southwest towards Biloxi, Mississippi, (a smaller market and programming sometimes different) about 25 miles away. I ran my TV scanning after both antennas ready and get reception from both cities, just use channel with strongest signal.

JohnD

I still have our old roof antenna up in the rafters of the garage.

Wasn’t sure how it would pick up HD signals . . .

Might have to try that instead.

As for DirecTV . . . they keep jacking up the price and $150/month for TV is just too much!

Wayner197

We have a 2018 Mallard M28 with the new (Black) omni-directional antenna factory installed. We live in Central Florida (right between Tampa & Orlando). This antenna works great! I can get stations from both the Tampa & Orlando markets. It does have a booster just under the TV mount.
Great Job Heartland!

Wayne Pixley

We have a 2018 Mallard M28 with the new (Black) omni-directional antenna factory installed. We live in Central Florida (right between Tampa & Orlando). This antenna works great! I can get stations from both the Tampa & Orlando markets. It does have a booster just under the TV mount.
Great Job Heartland!

Wayne Pixley

Wayne I’m glad to hear that. We live n Lake City, FL, not so many stations here, so we’ll see

Carol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, does anyone know what type of cable I need for a Furrion 3100 stereo/dvd player so we can watch our DVD’s? Thanks in advance!

James & Carol
2018 Mallard M28
2014 GMC Sierra 1500

JohnD

Hi all, does anyone know what type of cable I need for a Furrion 3100 stereo/dvd player so we can watch our DVD’s? Thanks in advance!

James & Carol
2018 Mallard M28
2014 GMC Sierra 1500

There should already be a cable coming off of the back of the stereo and through a hole in the wall right by the TV antenna hookup that has a red, white and yellow RCA jack on it.

That is the cable that hooks up to the TV from the stereo.