Protecting the Refrigerator Water Line during Winter Use

danemayer

Temperatures are dropping. If you'll be using your trailer over the winter, even if in warmer areas like central Florida or central Texas, you need to protect the refrigerator water feed line.

Most refrigerators are in slide outs and the water feed line for the ice maker is usually routed outside, under the slide. When temperatures drop below freezing, the exposed section of the water line will quickly freeze and crack. Insulation may only buy you 1 or 2 degrees of additional protection since there's no heat in the water line. A braided line may be more resistant to damage, but still may be damaged in sub-freezing weather.

To protect the water feed line, the water to that line must be shut off and the water evacuated. Consult the Residential Refrigerator Guide for pictures and instructions.

Poofam

The ice maker drain valve split (froze) last year, so now the ice maker is turned off in the winter. Mine was located on the outside fridge slide. The main valve was behind the sink in my Charleston. Live and learn !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hoefler

When we wintered in our Landmark a couple of years ago, I placed a section of fiberglass insulation around the bottom of the fridgevand tucked it in so air could still circulate through as to not hinder the operation of the fridge. Ran it on electric and had ice all winter long. Temps did fall to 7* with the highs in the 20's.

CoveredWagon

Temperatures are dropping. If you'll be using your trailer over the winter, even if in warmer areas like central Florida or central Texas, you need to protect the refrigerator water feed line.

Most refrigerators are in slide outs and the water feed line for the ice maker is usually routed outside, under the slide. When temperatures drop below freezing, the exposed section of the water line will quickly freeze and crack. Insulation may only buy you 1 or 2 degrees of additional protection since there's no heat in the water line. A braided line may be more resistant to damage, but still may be damaged in sub-freezing weather.

To protect the water feed line, the water to that line must be shut off and the water evacuated. Consult the Residential Refrigerator Guide for pictures and instructions.

Those lines i DID blow out for sure. It’s that darn outdoor shower I forgot :mad: