Bolts on Tow Vehicle Hitch rails

DougS

Doug S
I just came back from the body shop where my truck is in for repairs from a blow out. The body shop had to take the bed off and they informed me that two bolts holding the hitch rails on were only hand tight. I normally go under the truck to check the bolts once a year and I was surprised to find out two nuts were loose. I guess I’ll move that to every 6 months. Just thought I would pass this info on.

hoefler

Better find out why they are coming loose. Usually there is some movement in the connection, or the bolts are to small for the hole driled. The hole can also be egged out from the movement. The bolts could be too short as well, threads in the hole. Bolts should be long enought to have all shoulder in the hole with no threads. If the shoulder is too long to get any clamping force, flat wahers should be used to get the required tightening while keeping the trheads out of the hole.

DougS

Doug S
Better find out why they are coming loose. Usually there is some movement in the connection, or the bolts are to small for the hole driled. The hole can also be egged out from the movement. The bolts could be too short as well, threads in the hole. Bolts should be long enought to have all shoulder in the hole with no threads. If the shoulder is too long to get any clamping force, flat wahers should be used to get the required tightening while keeping the trheads out of the hole.

Hitch rails were installed as per instructions with all nuts, bolts and washers included with the hitch. I believe miles of towing loosened them. I check wheel lugs often, I’m now adding hitch bolts to that list. Post was for FYI.

hoefler

Hitch rails were installed as per instructions with all nuts, bolts and washers included with the hitch. I believe miles of towing loosened them. I check wheel lugs often, I’m now adding hitch bolts to that list. Post was for FYI.

Something isn't right, your bolts should not be loosening up. I tow heavy, very heavy at times, I have never had any issues with the bolts or mountings coming loose. You bolt holes are oversized/egged out from being loose and will only get worse. You need to drill them out and back to round and use a bigger bolt.