Has anyone installed a ice maker line in a slide out?

Chris6074

Our Norcold 1210 in our 2014 Landmark Savanna isn't as cold as it should be even on the 9 setting. It doesn't have an ice maker but I would like to install a residential refrigerator with an ice maker. Wondering if this can be done on a slide out.

Chris

mixie57

I would like to know this too. Hate my norcold (not cold).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris6074

I installed a Samsung 17.5 December 2017. The reviews on it were terrible but I took the chance with it because it was the only model that would fit the width of the existing Norcold 1210.. I did lower the floor by removing the drawer and installed a strap system to the floor. Lowes delivered and installed it, the ice maker never did work and on the fourth day the freezer had quit working. With Lowes you can do a return within 30 days so I ordered a Whirlpool WRS571CIDMO2 20.6 Cu-Ft and then I had to widen the width of the cabinet I believe to 37 inches and lower the floor again. I solved the water supply issue by running the ice maker supply line out the lower rear vent and tapping in the water hose with a brass hose Y and hose thread to 1/4 ice maker adapter. I used sheet foam from Home Depot to seal the upper rear vent. Their was no room left for a strap system to hold the refrigerator in place so I went to Walmart and bought two play ground rubber balls, deflated them and put them on top of the refrigerator and re-inflated them. When we moved the trailer a few months later 170 miles the refrigerator never moved at all. I bought trim molding and stained it, there was a two inches gap on top so I bought garage door rubber strip seal and stapled it the the inside of the molding. Four months have gone by and so far no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 34
Our 2017 3750FL came with a residential fridge. Factory installed the water line to the ice maker. It had problems:

First, before we took final delivery the tap valve under the sink leaked - I had the dealer replace it.

Second, they ran the line out the bottom of the slideout to a drain valve then back into the slide under the stove and over to the fridge. Problem was that section and outside valve is not insulated! Valve froze last Dec. After it thawed my neighbor pointed out the water running out of the cracked valve. Simple solution was to cut the valve out of the line - pull the two ends back up inside below the stove and rejoin them with a PEX connector. I now have no drain valve, but it doesn't freeze either! I doubt that little 1/4 inch line will gravity drain anyway. Had they put a three-way valve inside they could have run a drain down and out without freeze worry. We're full timers so never plan to winterize anyway.

David Oglesby
2017 3750FL
2016 RAM 3500 duelly

danemayer

Hi David,

When Heartland introduced residential refrigerators, they put that drain valve under the slide thinking it would make it easy to drain the line and the water that's in the refrigerator (filter and chiller coil). They intended that in climates where temps go below freezing, that owners would turn off the water to the feed line and drain it. The drain doesn't work well.

Insulating the line also won't help very much as insulation doesn't provide heat, it just slows loss of heat. So with insulation, the line might survive a few degrees below freezing - maybe. You really have to evacuate the water if temps will be below freezing.

Take a look at our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide for more information.