Delamination Question

Schroncc

Hello all,

Second time posting here. We ended up purchasing a 2013 Bighorn. We had a company inspect the RV beforehand but the whole situation was messed up. They sent someone to look at it, the owner said it was ok over the phone but we never got anything in writing or a bill.

We have now noticed spots of delamination along the side walls. I know it’s not going to get any better. What are our options? Would they have to replace the whole side wall of the RV? I know it’s hard without seeing any images. There are places of 4 inch or so bubbles coming from the wall adjacent to some slide outs.

Thanks,
Cameron

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
First, did you speak with the inspection company about this? If not you have nothing to lose by doing so.
Normally that delam should be repairable. Talk to an RV dealer about a repair facility that does fiberglass repair or call Heartland and ask for a recommendation from them.
I feel that many delamination problems are caused by water so it's important to carefully examine all of the caulking and replace or touch up as needed. Pay close attention to the ares where the delamination is present.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Cameron,

Delamination is almost always caused by water intrusion. So the first thing to do, immediately, is to check and repair all the caulking and sealants on the roof, around ladders, A/C units, fans, vents, light fixtures, windows, marker lights, etc. Btw, around windows, the bottom edge is not sealed. Doing so will keep things from getting worse. If you're not sure how to do a good job on this, get some help from a local service outlet. Many people recommend using independent services as they depend on their service reputation to stay in business, and don't have to divide their attention to support sales of new trailers.

Delamination can be repaired. There are kits available if you're handy and inclined toward self-service. Body shops do side wall repairs and can replace damaged sections if that's necessary.

Schroncc

We have yet to talk with the inspection company. We conversed over the phone. They did send someone to look at it and the owner gave us the ok over the phone. We were extremely disappointed by their service, they said they would send us the report but they never did, nor did they bill us. Not sure what grounds we have.

As as far as re-caulking the seams. Can I just use latex exterior window caulk or does it need to be something special?

Thanks!

danemayer

We have yet to talk with the inspection company. We conversed over the phone. They did send someone to look at it and the owner gave us the ok over the phone. We were extremely disappointed by their service, they said they would send us the report but they never did, nor did they bill us. Not sure what grounds we have.

As as far as re-caulking the seams. Can I just use latex exterior window caulk or does it need to be something special?

Thanks!

Window/bath type silicon or latex caulk is not suitable. You'll want Dicor sealant. It comes in a self-leveling variety suitable for horizontal surfaces, like around vents. The non-self-leveling variety is for vertical services where you want it to stay where you put it.