2008 GM truck bed rail hits pin box

bcaughey

I have a problem. I'm new to the 5th wheel trailer world so this might be stupid but here goes. The pin box on my 2008 Cyclone hits the bed rails on my 2008 silverado 2500HD when turned at about 75 degrees.
The hitch is already in the highest position. The trailer sits level when connected to the truck and the plate in the truck is level when connected to the trailer. The truck is standard no height or tire size modifications. Is there a different pin box available that is maybe 2" shorter in height at the trailer connection to allow it to swing inside or above the bed rails. I have looked at the airborne pin box but I couldn't find any dimensions to see if this would fix the problem. Can the ends of the pin box be trimmed off to allow for more room?

Northern Virginia
I had the same issue with my 08 2500HD GMC. I have a 20k Reese hitch that has 8 height settings. Mine was second to the lowest.

When I brought our new Landmark home, the pin box contacted the bed at sharp turns (fortunately, the damage was minimal) I raised the hitch to the highest setting and it now clears the bed.

You might want to talk to your hitch installer about a taller hitch.

John

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Getting the hitch/pinbox set up correctly can be a tricky task. To just raise the hitch would mean your coach will ride nose high, and that may not be the best sollution. If your front end rides to high you will put extra weight on your rear axle. Maybe 1000 pounds more on the rear than the front. Ideally you want equal, or as close as possible weight distribution between the two. Check to see that if you raise your hitch if you can also raise your pinbox. That will keep your trailer level assuming that it is now. Also do a search on this forum. There was someone that cut the corners off his pinbox for clearance..... Clarence.
Hope this helps
Peace
Dave

jbeletti

bcaughey,

Wondering - is it a Curt Q5 hitch that you have. I noticed when I went to that hitch, at it's highest point, it was lower than my Reese/Draw-tite.

At the Branson Rally, after we reviewed my axle weights, I was about 500# heavy on the rear axle. So my buds stopped by and raised my pinbox by one set of holes to bring my nose down a bit. Now I trailer more level and while I have not re-weighed yet, I have to have removed some weight from that rear axle.

And depending on the pin-box you have, yes, you may be able to do some trimming. I know some have trimmed the corners of their Trail-Airs.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had the same problem when we first got our Landmark. I have a Draw-Tite hitch and had to raise it to the highest hole. Once I did that it cleared. I do not know if it makes any difference either but I changed out my Trail-air pinbox for a Mor-Ryde pinbox. They are designed differently I dont know if that would work or not. (pricey fix). Your hitch dealer could give some suggestions and maybe changing to a different hitch would be the simplest solution.

scottie43

I'm having the same issue with my B&W set up. It is set at the highest. What is actually hitting is the hitch cover that Heartland starting offering. I think if I trim that I may be ok. Will watch it close this weekend.

jimtoo

The hitch cover is the first thing I would check. I was at my dealer (ExploreUSA, Seguin, TX) last week to help out at their anniversary sale. They were making a delivery of a Sundance and needed to trim the pin box cover to get clearance needed to not have interference with the pickup bed. It was a simple 5 minute job. I was told they have had to trim several of them to get necessary clearance.

JimM

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Well folks, when i returned home from our long summer trip, I found white material from the underbelly, on the ends of both truck rails, and dents a foot long on the middle of the truck rails. Unfortunately, I have an expensive truck bed cover and now it will not slide open or shut. The underbelly on both sides was scratched to grey from each corner diagonally for about 9" including tearing the seal. I have a MorRyde pin cushion, but it is at the highest bolt level. We will attempt to lower it a few notches, but as JimBo brought to my attention I may have to try to lift the Pullrite super glider hitch so the rear of the rig doesnt take on too much weight. I will know more when Forrest takes me to the weighing station in Las Vegas during the Heartland Rally, and we can see what the real story is. I am about to contact my selling dealer to discuss replacing a $1600 truck bed cover due to their negligence when installing the hitch pin. Wish me luck. Let's see what type of dealer Clovis RV is, and whether they stand by their products and services.

scottie43

Well, I trimmed the cover today and when I got to our campsite tonight it seemed to clear fine. I had the 5er turned about 75-80 degrees and it cleared. Hope it works for the rest of you guys with new Chev/GMC's