So I found a good deal on an inverter/charger; are they hard to install?

CDoggy

I found a nice price on this package on the Amazone:

[h=1]MS2812-PKG 2800 Watt Pure Sine Wave Magnum Energy Inverter[/h]

Comes with the remote control panel, cable and big old fuse for less than $1,700. Only puzzle is:

How hard is it to install this device on my 2017 BC 3560S?

Seems like most shops want 5-7 hours of labor at $130 per hour (or $650-910 plus tax) to do this install, and I am curious if I can do this install myself to save some dough...?

Without blowing myself up or doing it wrong, etc.... I am mechanically inclined and can follow directions well.

SNOKING

MS2812-PKG 2800 Watt Pure Sine Wave Magnum Energy Inverter

Comes with the remote control panel, cable and big old fuse for less than $1,700. Only puzzle is:

Seems like most shops want 5-7 hours of labor at $130 per hour (or $650-910 plus tax) to do this install, and I am curious if I can do this install myself to save some dough...?

Without blowing myself up or doing it wrong, etc.... I am mechanically inclined and can follow directions well.

Transfer relay capability MS2000: 30 A single input; MS2012, MS2812, MS4024: 2 legs at 30 A for 120 V/30 A or 240 V/60 A service. Not sure how that works with 50 AMP RV service, however that model appears to have dual 30A transfer relay capability. I have installed a number on inverters over the years and normally split the buss so things like electric hot water heaters are not powered by the inverter. The closer you can put it to the battery bank the better. For a inverter like that you should have a robust battery bank. Two group 27 batteries are not enough and the charger output is pretty high for such a small battery bank. Four 6V golf cart batteries are on the low side for such an inverter, six would be better.

Dyno Batteries in Seattle has 260 AH 6V batteries(slightly taller than golf cart 6V) that I have used in boats for years. Last one had 6 of them for a 780 AH bank. Or 390 AH at 50% discharge.

Magnum's control panel takes a bit of learn curve to operate.

Chris

SLO

That’s a good deal if you are planning on upgrading your electrical. I have that same inverter with my solar system. It’s top quality. I have four 6v batteries, six would be better. Then a different electrical panel or a sub panel along with more expensive wire. Can’t remember, off the top of my head, the wire size I used from batteries to inverter but I think it was 4/000. So if you were planning on those additional expenses then the inverter is a good buy. Might as well do solar while you’re at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SNOKING

While not the same device, I just installed the Go Power IC-2000 device that is the same type of device, but a 50amp device not 30amp.

You can take a look a the video I did for his install, with wiring information.

Link to the Blog and video is in the Blog. Let me know if you have any questions...

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/si...-IC-2000---Inverter-Converter-Transfer-Switch

Link to Go Power IC2000 on Amazon.

I think the Go Power with 50 A dual transfer switch might be a better choice. As noted, these are not plug and play installations.

Chris

carl.swoyer

[h=1]MS2812-PKG 2800 Watt Pure Sine Wave Magnum Energy Inverter[/h]

If you call Magnum and speak with Glenn in tech support he will take the time to talk you through the process.
The ms2812 has pass through technology, so I identified two circuit that I wanted on dry camp. Running the correct size wire from the Magnum hot out to the RV distribution panel. What happens here is you remove the wires from the breakers and wire nut / splice them to the two hot out one the Magnum. This is where the pass thru technology works. The Magnum senses the absence and presence of shore power ( or genset) and allows the electrical current to pass thru to the RV circuit.
Definitely call Glenn , Magnum s customer service is the best anywhere.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
How hard is it to install this device on my

I would think the first obstacle is the ability to make or easily source custom length heavy duty battery cables. 2/0 & 4/0 marine grade or welding cable fine strand flexible wire.

After that the rest is much easier, as long as you are comfortable working with 12 VDC and 120VAC.

Keep in mind with your battery cable size and lengths - with 12 volt DC you add the positive and negative cables for the total length when calculating voltage drops and amperage loads.

The basic specs do not list the potential amperage draw from your batteries. That inverter is spec'd at up to 373 continuous amps DC under full load! And capable of 125 amps charging capacity.
You do not want to scrimp on battery cables.

And it is a great inverter.

SLO

While not the same device, I just installed the Go Power IC-2000 device that is the same type of device, but a 50amp device not 30amp.

You can take a look a the video I did for his install, with wiring information.

Link to the Blog and video is in the Blog. Let me know if you have any questions...

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/si...-IC-2000---Inverter-Converter-Transfer-Switch

Link to Go Power IC2000 on Amazon.

The Magnum MS2812 is a 60amp or 30amp device. Just depends on how you wire it. Page 27 of the manual.

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagDocs/64-0007 Rev F (MS Series)_Web_1.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SLO

60 amp is pass through transfer relay capability not inverter AC output.

The 2812 is a 2800 watt inverter which equates to 23 amps-120 VAC output

You are correct. I didn't mean to say it would invert 50 amps but that it would pass through 50 amps. Sorry

porthole

Retired
You are correct. I didn't mean to say it would invert 50 amps but that it would pass through 50 amps. Sorry

You had me wondering and second guessing myself :eek:, so I had to dig out the manual and look it up to make sure.
I would say the way the manual is written it is slightly confusing with that aspect.