Power Cord Reel Not Included

ptodd47

Picked up my 2018 427 2 weeks ago. On the build sheet and the website it listed a power cord reel...here is a link...https://www.heartlandrvs.com/index....=207:rw-427&catid=86:road-warrior&Itemid=1566. There is no power cord reel with the coach. I ask the dealer several times about this. Each time I get an excuse or "its on order". The most recent visit I got the "sorry about your luck" answer and that all the literature is a misprint. I this for a $110 thousand dollar coach I could get what the factory lists as equipment included. I'm starting here but I plan to take this to the top until I get my reel.

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

danemayer

Hi ptodd47,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It's unlikely that the factory forgot to install the power cord reel, or as the dealer told you, that it's on order. It's more likely that mid-model-year changes were made. The product managers work to improve competitiveness without raising cost, and there was probably an upgrade or addition that required a tradeoff in order to hold the price point.

You can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 to discuss. Have your VIN # ready. But don't be surprised if they point you to the disclaimer at the bottom of the webpage to which you linked.

Disclaimer

Due to Heartland's commitment to continuous improvement, we reserve the right to make changes to models, including standards; options; materials; components; colors; fabrics; construction; features; etc. without notice or obligation to Heartland Recreational Vehicles.

porthole

Retired
Hi ptodd47,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It's unlikely that the factory forgot to install the power cord reel, or as the dealer told you, that it's on order. It's more likely that mid-model-year changes were made. The product managers work to improve competitiveness without raising cost, and there was probably an upgrade or addition that required a tradeoff in order to hold the price point.

You can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 to discuss. Have your VIN # ready. But don't be surprised if they point you to the disclaimer at the bottom of the webpage to which you linked.

"The product managers work to improve profit margins without raising cost"
might be more accurate.

As a the owner toy hauler that was never equipped with a power cord reel as a factory standard or option, and subsequently installed one, I would say of all the options and updates I did to the trailer since 2009 that LevelUp and the power cord reel are the the top two improvements.

If the customer bought the trailer with the "Ultimate Warrior" package - they should have a power cord reel.

Ultimate Warrior Package:

• Power Cord Reel

CoveredWagon

We had a similar situation with our 3270rs. When ordered there was a fantastic fan in the kitchen area. By the time it was built it was gone. We also ordered the $149 optional fan in the bathroom. Do you think they gave me $149 back ?
As for the power cord reel, that could be a good thing. I intentionally did not order one after reading the problems and pains others have had with them. The techs at the dealer told me that was a good choice as they have to deal with them all the time. I purchased a Mor/Ryde manual reel which works like a charm. D3C03DD9-3FE5-4BB3-9C97-779492F030D3.jpg

WillyBill

We had a similar situation with our 3270rs. When ordered there was a fantastic fan in the kitchen area. By the time it was built it was gone. We also ordered the $149 optional fan in the bathroom. Do you think they gave me $149 back ?
As for the power cord reel, that could be a good thing. I intentionally did not order one after reading the problems and pains others have had with them. The techs at the dealer told me that was a good choice as they have to deal with them all the time. I purchased a Mor/Ryde manual reel which works like a charm. View attachment 55405

@CoveredWagon,

Not to meddle....but that gap in the bottom of the door gasket needs to be fixed-it will let water, bugs, and other things into your basement. Sorry to meddle in your business.

WB.

CoveredWagon

@CoveredWagon,

Not to meddle....but that gap in the bottom of the door gasket needs to be fixed-it will let water, bugs, and other things into your basement. Sorry to meddle in your business.

WB.

Thanks for the thought. Since I noticed a gap like that in all the doors I assumed that it was intentional to allow water to run out. I’ll have to look into it. So far so good, no bugs.

pegmikef

As for the power cord reel said:
I have read maybe three occurrences of problems with them, but I think it is strange that your dealer would tell you that. Mine is four years old and has 40 plus thousand miles on the rig and I have never had a problem. I go to an awful lot of rallies and the folks I rally with almost all have the power reel and I don't recall any problems with them except in one case where one of the wires was somewhat loose at the connection on the reel, but was easily fixed. As someone else said, it is probably among the best and most used options offered.

Oregon_Camper

I have read maybe three occurrences of problems with them, but I think it is strange that your dealer would tell you that. Mine is four years old and has 40 plus thousand miles on the rig and I have never had a problem. I go to an awful lot of rallies and the folks I rally with almost all have the power reel and I don't recall any problems with them except in one case where one of the wires was somewhat loose at the connection on the reel, but was easily fixed. As someone else said, it is probably among the best and most used options offered.

Ditto...had mine for over 2 years and I've never had any issues with it. I like having it in the back of the RV, tucked under the rear and not taking up any of my basement storage.

porthole

Retired
The techs at the dealer told me that was a good choice as they have to deal with them all the time.

I'd like to see the techs back that up with facts.

If the tech said the same thing with Anderson valves it would be easy to agree.
There have been very few mentions of the reels failing on this forum in the 10 years or so the option has been available.

CoveredWagon

I'd like to see the techs back that up with facts.

If the tech said the same thing with Anderson valves it would be easy to agree.
There have been very few mentions of the reels failing on this forum in the 10 years or so the option has been available.

Ok I really don’t want to make a *()&$ing match out of this. I am just stating what I was told, and how I feel. Like opinions and other things everyone has one. I’m very happy with my choice and I’m glad for everyone who is happy with their decision. If you search “power cord reels problems” you’ll find several stated issues in each thread. This to me constitutes more than a few. That said I also read that the motor or other parts have been improved in the last few years.

respectfully submitted