Hydraulic Fluid Leaking

TexasTraveler2017

I was finishing up installing my snap pads and running the auto level when I noticed hydraulic fluid leaking out by the front door side jack. I opened the front compartment and saw it leaking steadily. I hurried and got it back on the truck in case it started to lose the ability to hold up the camper. After I got the jacks up, the leaking appeared to have stopped. Any ideas if one of these just needs to be tightened?

cd9b7d05cd3d18f6cc0291524ce722b3.jpg

dfbbc37cc2bb535a4a3eec7669716f4b.jpg

5f9e7f944122f906e3aee1f3e62b1414.jpg

48e51b9af4680c994eca9cbe66273d66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

Get out a couple of wrenches and you will find out soon enough, then put some weight back on the jacks, see if there are any leaks.

porthole

Retired
When I had a small leak I couldn't quite locate exactly I took a wrench to the fittings. Almost every nut got 1/8 of a turn or so. Not really surprised with as much as we have used the hydraulics over the last 8 years.

TexasTraveler2017

I’m trying to get in there to tighten the valve to the body, but it’s dang near impossible, lol. I disconnected a hose in my way, but the thickness of my wrench makes it hard to get on that bolt.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just went through a similar leak diagnosis.
I suggest that you first clean all the fluid from the area in question. Then, as you are observing, have someone operate the landing gear and/or the slides.
You should be able to identify the source of the leak.
My hydraulic layout is a bit different than yours and it turned out to be a $4.43 part.
However, yours looks like the leak is in the area of the valve assembly. It may be a matter of a bad O-ring or the valve itself could be leaking. It aint a cheap date.
hydac-cartridge-valve-assembly_1.jpg

So anyway, you need to identify the source of the leak.

Peace
Dave

TexasTraveler2017

Well I was able to finally tighten up those bottom two valves. Luckily the wires were labeled and they were the valves for the rear left and rear right levelers.

So good news is that the front wasn’t leaking. I had to remove two of the hoses and loosen each connector to move them out of the way to get long nosed locking pliers in there. Being careful not to round off the nuts, I wasn’t able to get them tightened some. Put it back together and put the front legs down and no leaking. Then I ran the auto level to run the rear levelers and it didn’t leak like before. There is a little bit of fluid coming out around the top of the valve, but it wasn’t enough to drip this time.

I guess I’ll be calling Heartland Monday morning to see about my first warranty repair after owning for 3 weeks.

Thanks for the replies!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well I was able to finally tighten up those bottom two valves. Luckily the wires were labeled and they were the valves for the rear left and rear right levelers.

So good news is that the front wasn’t leaking. I had to remove two of the hoses and loosen each connector to move them out of the way to get long nosed locking pliers in there. Being careful not to round off the nuts, I wasn’t able to get them tightened some. Put it back together and put the front legs down and no leaking. Then I ran the auto level to run the rear levelers and it didn’t leak like before. There is a little bit of fluid coming out around the top of the valve, but it wasn’t enough to drip this time.

I guess I’ll be calling Heartland Monday morning to see about my first warranty repair after owning for 3 weeks.

Thanks for the replies!

Quick question, does the hydraulic fluid have a smell? Can you describe it if so?

TexasTraveler2017

Quick question, does the hydraulic fluid have a smell? Can you describe it if so?

I don’t recall it having a specific smell and I had my head in the front compartment cleaning it up and working on it for a while. At least it wasn’t so overwhelming that I remember.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Think it would smell similar to transmission fluid huh?

Oldelevatorman

I'm having a similar problem. My leak is between the right side tires. I never noticed it leaking until I took it in to have the bearings done. Heartland gave me 3 local mobile guys numbers. Never heard from 2 and the third wasn't available for 2 weeks. Called the local truck repair and had someone come out. All the insulation in that area under the coroplast is soaked. A fire hazard I'd assume? I hope it can be repaired today. It goes into the shop on Monday for some bodywork and I'd rather they not have to deal with it since they just do bodywork. Moving into a hotel for a week with a dog and cat, great fun!

Oldelevatorman

An update on my leaky hydraulics. It is the front ram on the living room slide. Leaking from the head, around the packing area. My mechanic will get in touch with Heartland and hopefully get parts ordered. We're parked till February 1 anyway. Keeping fingers crossed that it all works out.