Slide out cylinder replacement

Nightshifter

Has anyone had any warranty issues with a leaking slide out cylinder. I have one starting to leak for my dinette slide. It is leaking around the seal. Are these sealed replaceable or must the cylinder be replaced?

WillyBill

Re: Slide out cylinder

Has anyone had any warranty issues with a leaking slide out cylinder. I have one starting to leak for my dinette slide. It is leaking around the seal. Are these sealed replaceable or must the cylinder be replaced?

While I have not personally had a problem with one of these, You will probably find that any Hydraulics shop in larger cities should be able to repair this. Seals will most likely be common sized and after disassembly can be matched by dimension and not have to be ordered by the cylinder manufacturer. However...if the chrome on the cylinder rod is damaged AT ALL, don't bother - the damage will destroy the new seal in short order. If it's damaged, check for contact with the opening it sticks out through or other metal brackets, etc wnen installing the replacement.

Good Luck,

WB

MCTalley

Are you sure it is the seal leaking? The reason I ask is that our door-side slide cylinder was leaking. Because the end of the cylinder at the frame opening was lower than the interior end of the cylinder, we would see a drip or two of fluid at the frame end.

I knew it wasn't the seal leaking because our first warning of the leak came from a trail of hydraulic fluid leaking out of the underbelly where the water tank drain line came through after we pulled into a site with a steep incline at the entrance. I aimed my phone camera through the frame opening hole, turned on the video mode and the flash and filmed while my wife ran the slide out. I could see fluid dripping from the interior end of the cylinder. Eventually, it would run the length of the cylinder and drip off at the frame rail.

Ours turned out being the 90 degree fitting at the interior end of the cylinder. I ordered a new fitting and replaced it myself. No leaks since.

Nightshifter

So today I changed out three of my slide out cylinders. Two were leaking and the third was probably going to. The three were all the same part and mfg date. 39” grey cylinder from Lippert. The fourth slide is a shorter cylinder for the kitchen and looked dry around the end seal. Called Lippert and spoke to customer service and had the cylinders shipped to me. They were under warranty. The cylinders are not able to be rebuilt. They were leaking from the end seal. I fugured it was probably a seal issue with the mfg. I followed Lippert’s replacement procedures and took about 2 hours to complete. It was way better than hooking up traveling to the dealership letting it there for who knows how long going back to get it and bringing it back home. Plus it’s still in the nice warm garage.

MCTalley

Thanks for following up. Interesting. Sounds like a bad batch of seals around the time your original cylinders were built.

Oldelevatorman

Our Landmark has a leaky cylinder on the dining area slide near the entry door. Cylinder head is leaking and no they don't just replace the packing or seal which would seem to be an easier fix. Just waiting on new cylinder from Heartland. Under warranty and a friend at the local truck repair is going to do it. Also replacing some of the insulation nearby as it is soaked from the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightshifter

That’s exactly what happened to mine. Soaked the fiberglass. Full of trans fluid from the cylinder.
i removed the fiberglass and replaced it with 2” rigid foam board r10 rating. It makes for a much better job. By the way there is a procedure posted on the Lippert site on replacing a cylinder. Look it up and have the mechanic follow it to limit the amount of air introduced into the hydraulic system. Also replace the o rings in the hose fittings where they go into the cylinder.