Sewer smell

mike

Mike
It seams that i am getting a smell in the bedroom/closet area that i think is coming from the sewer system. It is not all the time but i have not found out why. ANY THOUGHTS???

Mike
Big Horn 3655RD #9979

tcbrady

Mike,

I'm not sure why you would be getting a sewer smell in the bedroom. I have not heard of other owners with this problem. My recommendation is that you take the unit in to a dealer and have them look at your black tank to make sure it is working properly.

Thanks

timk

mike said:
It seams that i am getting a smell in the bedroom/closet area that i think is coming from the sewer system. It is not all the time but i have not found out why. ANY THOUGHTS???

Mike
Big Horn 3655RD #9979

Mike,
Coming from a general contractor background, I can tell you if the trap for your washer and dryer is dry or it is not capped off in some way there is nothing preventing sewer gases from working their way up to the bedroom closet.

I do get a nasty smell in my toilet room after driving. My thinking is that by leaving the roof vent open for some venting its creating a vacumn that is bringing up the smelly stuff. Dont understand how it gets in but it does. I have just installed one of those little vent caps that swing in the wind so that there is a small vacumn pulling gases up the vent rather than into the coach. Havent had it out on the road yet to see if it works, but it sounds good on paper.

Good luck, and happy smells
Tim K

phranc

I had sewer smell on occassion when traveling ,coming from the gray tank vent that is under the kitchen island ( BH 3600 ) .Smelled bad enough to gag a maggot!! That line is used to vent the kitchen sink and has a hidden vacuum vent on top of the pipe . To fix this ,at least temporarily, I slipped a sandwich bag over the top and held it in place with a rubber band. Next time I visit with dealer I'll have him put new one on ,or I can go to Lowes/Home Depot and pick one up for 4 or 5 bucks..( maybe I'll save this for the June Rally)

mike

Mike
Thanks for the replys, I will look more at the w/d drain and see if thats my smelly freind,I did tighten it hand tight the other night thinking the same thing. I may just not have it snug enough..

Mike

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
timk,

Let us know if the new vent cap works for relieving the stool room odor. I have the same problem with my 3200RL and travel with the vent closed. I've considered the vent cap you installed but really hate the price for a little PVC. If it works though....

Phil

timk

I will post an update, but its going to be a couple of months before we get a chance to get away again.
TimK

kerry

Sewer Smell

Check The Plumbing Behind The Access Panel For The Washer/dryer Hookup. It Should Be In The Bottom Bedroom Cabinet Next To Where The W/d Goes. There Should Be A Vacumn Breaker Type Vent Cap On The Drain Line For The W/d. The Factory Left Mine Off And The Drain Line Was Open To Vent Into The Bedroom, Cheap Fix From The Hardware Store Or Your Dealer Can Get You One If This Is The Problem

Kerry
Bighorn 3400

Last edited:

timk

Phil Smith said:
timk,

Let us know if the new vent cap works for relieving the stool room odor. I have the same problem with my 3200RL and travel with the vent closed. I've considered the vent cap you installed but really hate the price for a little PVC. If it works though....

Phil

Phil,
Finally got away for a week or so, and am happy to report the vent thing seemed to work, no smells so far, fingers crossed.
TimK

mike

Mike
Kerry, I just remember'd to check behind the access panel for vent and you were right they left mine off to, will get to the hardware store tomorrow and see about taking care of this..

Thanks for info..

Mike

Seems like the facory should have caught this in what the call QC.

BigBlue

BigBlue
I'm experiencing the same problem in my Landmark. It occurs in both the bedroom and the kitchen. I've checked the vents and they appear OK. I even used some baby oil to make sure they are flexible and seal. I'm ov the opinion that the smell comes whenever the pressure drops inside the trailer. For instance when we start the Fantastic Fan in either the bedroom or the kitchen, it's a pretty good bet that the smell is going to be there.
I'm thinking of trying to figure out how I can get the vent out to the roof or outside somehow.

svd

BibBlue,
I am no expert, but if it is like other trailers we have owned, you should already have a vent line to the roof for the black and gray tanks. I can't say for sure if our 3400 has it, but I assume so.

BigBlue

BigBlue
Steve
I do have the vent line to the roof. I'm talking about the vents for the traps. As discussed earlier in this post, you also have a vent under the sink which is attached to the trap on the side that goes to the waste tank. This vent has a rubber flange which is supposed to prevent a vacuum forming on the tank side which would draw water out of the trap through a siphon effect. I've found and others have also found that if you cover this vent with tape or replace it or cover it with a plastic bag you can eliminate the odor. This tells me that when the pressure is less in the trailer that it is in the tank the vent is allowing air flow into the trailer accompanied by the smell.
In a house the drain side of the trap is connected to the vent pipe that goes to the roof. I was suggesting that I am going to investigate whether I can route the pipe to the vent that goes to the roof. That will get the odor out of the trailer.

K

Ken Washington

Has anyone found a way to stop the odor from coming up the vent under the sink. If this vent is pluged, will the sink drain and the tank empty? Why would they put this vent where it could smell up the coach?

timk

Ken Washington said:
Has anyone found a way to stop the odor from coming up the vent under the sink. If this vent is pluged, will the sink drain and the tank empty? Why would they put this vent where it could smell up the coach?

Ken,
The cap on the vent under the sink should have a one way valve on it. It should let air in, but not let air out. The vent prevents a vacumn from sucking the water out of the traps in the sink. Have you checked to make sure there is water in the sink trap? If there is you may have a bad valve, or no valve.

Think happy smells
TimK

K

Ken Washington

Tim,
We have ran alot of water down the sink so I assume there is water in the trap. We have had this unit for ten months and last week is the first time we had this problem. I flushed the tank with alot of clean water which took care of it for now but this is something I should not have to worry about! The only thing I saw was a cap on the vent with two square holes. Doesn't seem like that would stop the odor.
Ken

ct0218

The studor vent is a standard house plumbing fitting that works quite well, with a low failure rate. It is possible to have a bad flapper inside, sometimes taking off and cleaning will help, sometimes just replacing it is all that works. They are commonly used on kitchen island sinks and I've only had one failure in over 20 years of building. You cannot just cap it off, the drain needs to pull air in to drain properly. If you can get it off, if its there, or have to replace it, don't glue it back on--just a snug fit is all that would be needed since there is no water passing thru it. Possiby just a low quality item specific to the RV industry, as a lot of the plumbing is. A replacement from a plumbing store should solve your problem.

timk

Ken,
There should be a spring with a rubber seal inside to keep air from flowing out of those holes. When you drain the sink the spring should let air flow in only.
TimK

K

Ken Washington

Thanks Clark & Tim for your help. I will take it off tomorrow and clean-inspect it. It has threads so it will come off quick.