PDA

View Full Version : Ford Tow Technology Bundle and quad Beam Headlamps

fritzwell
11-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Getting ready to upgrade to a 2017 Ford F-350 and need some input on the above listed packages. Is the Tow Tech Bundle worth the expense or might that 1800.00 be better spent else where? Same with the LED headlights, get em or leave em?

Thanks, Ken

Wmnmy
11-05-2017, 01:48 PM
I like the led headlamps brighter than halogen.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the led headlamps brighter than halogen. As for the tow tech bundle I have similar in my Denali it's nice in a suv but you could probably spend it elsewhere for your tow vehicle unless you like a lot of gadgets....

travlingman
11-05-2017, 05:56 PM
I have both on mine and recommend them. The headlights are no comparison to previous models. Makes driving at night alot easier for these old eyes.

Tow technology bundle is definitely worth the extra money. It comes with the adaptive steering which makes backing much easier as it changes the steering ratio. Auto dimming of lights, rain sensing wipers, lane keep assist, trailer guidance and of course the camera system is in the package. The cameras are great. Can use your center screen and watch both sides of your trailer as you back. The 360 view really helps in parking.

aRAYwego
11-05-2017, 07:33 PM
I have both on mine and recommend them. The headlights are no comparison to previous models. Makes driving at night alot easier for these old eyes.

Tow technology bundle is definitely worth the extra money. It comes with the adaptive steering which makes backing much easier as it changes the steering ratio. Auto dimming of lights, rain sensing wipers, lane keep assist, trailer guidance and of course the camera system is in the package. The cameras are great. Can use your center screen and watch both sides of your trailer as you back. The 360 view really helps in parking.

I would have to agree 100% , the LED's are well worth the money. I also love the tow tech bundle, although I do shut the lane keep assist off.

jbeletti
11-05-2017, 09:54 PM
The LED Headlights are amazing.

Unsure what the other lights that light the sides of the road are (with low beams only - fog lamps?) but I love those too. Lots of deer in rural areas and it makes me feel a bit more comfortable night driving and being able to see Bambi sneaking out from the ditch.

jbeletti
11-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Ken - you didn't ask about this, but two of my favorite options are:

1. Adaptive Cruise Control

2. Lane Keeping System

justafordguy
11-06-2017, 04:22 PM
I agree about the LED lights, they are awesome. The auto highbeam is really cool too. :cool:

RoadJunkie
11-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Wellllll, now I wannnnnna new Ford F350 truck with LED lighting and lane assist and cameras and....

pegmikef
11-06-2017, 06:15 PM

2. Lane Keeping System

Hey Jim, what does the adaptive cruise control do?

SNOKING
11-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Hey Jim, what does the adaptive cruise control do?

You get behind a LEO and your truck just stays with him whether he slows down or speeds up!!! ;) ;) ;)

jbeletti
11-06-2017, 06:29 PM
You get behind a LEO and your truck just stays with him whether he slows down or speeds up!!! ;) ;) ;)

Agreed!

So Adaptive Cruise Control, in my 2-days experience is a great safety feature. The gist of it is that with the feature turned on, when you're using cruise control and come upon a slower vehicle ahead of you, in your lane, your vehicle will slow down and match the other vehicle's speed. It will also maintain a distance behind that vehicle based on the setting you've chosen. So far, I've chosen the maximum distance, which at 70 MPH was about 3 seconds.

In practice, with cruise on and the adaptive cruise feature on, my truck has slowly slowed down as needed and paced the vehicle in front of me. In my case, it was so subtle that it was minutes before I even realized I was going 5 to 10 MPH slower than I'd set the cruise control for. When clear to my left, I signaled and began to change lanes to pass. Nearly immediately, the system resumed to the cruise control set speed. Very cool!

jbeletti
11-06-2017, 06:32 PM
I agree about the LED lights, they are awesome. The auto highbeam is really cool too. :cool: I've yet to read the manual. Can you explain this feature please?

justafordguy
11-06-2017, 07:05 PM
I've yet to read the manual. Can you explain this feature please?

I think it uses magic ;)

With the lights on and no oncoming cars they just change to high beam. Also it goes to low beam when a car is coming or you slow down to less than maybe 20.

jbeletti
11-06-2017, 07:07 PM
I think it uses magic ;)

With the lights on and no oncoming cars they just change to high beam. Also it goes to low beam when a car is coming or you slow down to less than maybe 20. Cool - I need to find the switch to turn that on :)

Pizzaguy
11-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Just set your headlight switch to auto, and I think push lever for high beams on. It reacts quicker than I can. It is one of my favorite features! It will only work after it is completely dark outside.

LBR
11-06-2017, 11:09 PM
Just picked our new Ford up this morning and put on 100 miles....to appreciate our whole experience, we have had a 2003 XLT since 05.......OMG what a difference!!

jbeletti
11-07-2017, 12:04 AM
Just set your headlight switch to auto, and I think push lever for high beams on. It reacts quicker than I can. It is one of my favorite features! It will only work after it is completely dark outside.Thanks

Sniper
11-07-2017, 03:34 PM
I've yet to read the manual. Can you explain this feature please?
On the productivity screen go to "settings" scroll down to "auto highbeam" click "ok" on the steering wheel to check mark the box. Then the high beams will work automatically with the headlight switch in the "auto position" regardless of the highbeam switch position. It's pretty friggin' amazing! It even detects vehicles coming from a side road and dims the headlights or the street lights when you come into town. It's crazy. You can also dim the headlamps for a few moments by moving the lever if you feel they aren't shutting off fast enough but they will go back to auto mode in like 20 seconds. :)

PS. The feature may work with the headlight switch in the on position too. I haven't had it out of the auto mode to check.

Safe travels! :)

jbeletti
11-07-2017, 05:18 PM
On the productivity screen go to "settings" scroll down to "auto highbeam" click "ok" on the steering wheel to check mark the box. Then the high beams will work automatically with the headlight switch in the "auto position" regardless of the highbeam switch position. It's pretty friggin' amazing! It even detects vehicles coming from a side road and dims the headlights or the street lights when you come into town. It's crazy. You can also dim the headlamps for a few moments by moving the lever if you feel they aren't shutting off fast enough but they will go back to auto mode in like 20 seconds. :)

PS. The feature may work with the headlight switch in the on position too. I haven't had it out of the auto mode to check.

Safe travels! :)

Thanks! While sitting at a red light today, I found the Auto High Beams setting and it was set to Auto or On.

I guess on my night drive the other day, I had the headlights set to ON vs Auto. I have found with automatic headlights, that there are times (fog, rain, mist) where I want the lights on, yet it's not dark enough outside for the to turn on automatically.

fritzwell
11-07-2017, 07:02 PM
I apologize if I'm push this conversation off track, but I'll be picking up our 2017 F-350 tomorrow. Thanks all for your input on the Tech Bundle and Quad Beam lights.:)

Sniper
11-07-2017, 07:07 PM
I apologize if I'm push this conversation off track, but I'll be picking up our 2017 F-350 tomorrow. Thanks all for your input on the Tech Bundle and Quad Beam lights.:)
Congratulations! Post up a picture or two for us when ya get a chance after you get it home. :)

fritzwell
11-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Congratulations! Post up a picture or two for us when ya get a chance after you get it home. :)

Sure thing

pegmikef
11-08-2017, 11:30 AM

That sounds really cool!

ATM
11-08-2017, 12:13 PM
We picked up our 2017 F350 Platinum on the weekend, it took me few minutes to realize the truck was turning the high beams off and on by itself. It is a great feature, a lot of times I just run on low beam as the constant on and off gets to be a pain. The adaptive cruise control is great as well and the blind spot warning system. At first I thought the 360 camera was a gimmick but now I could not imagine being without it, works great for getting the truck in the garage as well as making it so much easier to hook up trailers. The other cool feature is the doors unlocking themselves as soon as you put your hand in the door handle when you have the fob in your pocket. We moved up from 08 F350 and it is amazing the difference between the two vehicles.

LBR
11-08-2017, 01:42 PM
We picked up our 2017 F350 Platinum on the weekend, it took me few minutes to realize the truck was turning the high beams off and on by itself. It is a great feature, a lot of times I just run on low beam as the constant on and off gets to be a pain. The adaptive cruise control is great as well and the blind spot warning system. At first I thought the 360 camera was a gimmick but now I could not imagine being without it, works great for getting the truck in the garage as well as making it so much easier to hook up trailers. The other cool feature is the doors unlocking themselves as soon as you put your hand in the door handle when you have the fob in your pocket. We moved up from 08 F350 and it is amazing the difference between the two vehicles.Congrats...we just picked up our 17 Ford also. We are coming from a 2003 and have never driven, nor hardly ever been in, a newer vehilcle than our 03...you can imagine our amazements!!

justafordguy
11-08-2017, 02:39 PM
We picked up our 2017 F350 Platinum on the weekend, it took me few minutes to realize the truck was turning the high beams off and on by itself. It is a great feature, a lot of times I just run on low beam as the constant on and off gets to be a pain. The adaptive cruise control is great as well and the blind spot warning system. At first I thought the 360 camera was a gimmick but now I could not imagine being without it, works great for getting the truck in the garage as well as making it so much easier to hook up trailers. The other cool feature is the doors unlocking themselves as soon as you put your hand in the door handle when you have the fob in your pocket. We moved up from 08 F350 and it is amazing the difference between the two vehicles.

Congrats, These new trucks are amazing and have sure come a long way. I'm loving mine so far. :cool:

MikeR
11-09-2017, 12:52 PM
I think it uses magic ;)

With the lights on and no oncoming cars they just change to high beam. Also it goes to low beam when a car is coming or you slow down to less than maybe 20.

Yes, it must be magic, as GM taught us back in the 50's. GM had their "Magic Eye" which was a rather large sensor mounted on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, to pick up oncoming car lights. Then your high beams would dim. I'm not sure if the brights would come back on automatically or not. It didn't really make much difference because you had the floor mounted switch to turn the brights on/off manually using your left foot.

fritzwell
11-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Sure thing

Got it home bout an hour ago, can't wait to pull with it. A lot of new features from our 2014 and there's gonna be a boat load of question on some of em.

Ken

Chippendale
11-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Yes, it must be magic, as GM taught us back in the 50's. GM had their "Magic Eye" which was a rather large sensor mounted on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, to pick up oncoming car lights. Then your high beams would dim. I'm not sure if the brights would come back on automatically or not. It didn't really make much difference because you had the floor mounted switch to turn the brights on/off manually using your left foot.

I was just getting ready to comment that my mother's 1955 Oldsmobile 88 had the automatic dimming feature, but you beat me to it. As best I can remember, it did go back to high beam after the on-coming car passed.

Reading this thread sure makes me want to trade in my junky old 2015 F350 DRW for a new one. I have an appointment at my Ford dealer's in the morning to have all my fluids, brake, steering, coolant and transmission changed out at 42,000 miles. Maybe I should cancel the appointment with the service dept and make one with the sales dept and let someone else deal with the fluid exchange. :D

nander
11-09-2017, 04:19 PM
We love our new 2017 F350! It's amazing the difference between 2017 and the 2012 we had. So much technology. The salesman told me to get in the driver's seat and he went over all the electronics while Dave sat in the back seat. :cool: He still is figuring out everything it will do.

Sniper
11-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Got it home bout an hour ago, can't wait to pull with it. A lot of new features from our 2014 and there's gonna be a boat load of question on some of em.

Ken

Looking good! Congratulations! :)

ksucats
11-09-2017, 05:44 PM
George: Call for the sales department. Unless you have the maintenance contract, the money you're going to spend will make a good contribution to the down payment on the new one. :cool:

Chippendale
11-09-2017, 08:39 PM
George: Call for the sales department. Unless you have the maintenance contract, the money you're going to spend will make a good contribution to the down payment on the new one. :cool:

Yeah, I got a letter from Ford Credit the other day, didn't read it real close, but I think it said I could purchase any new Ford product I wanted and they would finance up to $75,000 of it. Not sure my credit is really that good, but I guess that would cover a new 2017 or 2018 F350 DRW. Good thing I threw the letter away, because after reading this thread, I might be tempted to take it with me tomorrow. LOL

porthole
11-09-2017, 09:10 PM
have all my fluids, brake, steering, coolant and transmission changed out at 42,000 miles.

Curious as to why you are changing the fluids at 42,000 miles?

Chippendale
11-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Curious as to why you are changing the fluids at 42,000 miles?

Probably spending $'s I don't really need to at this time, but am planning on putting lots of miles on it the next couple of years and decided to go on and get this done now at my convenience at a dealership I know and trust rather than later out on the road who knows where. I have a 100,000 mile Ford extended warranty on the truck and do not want, should I have problems, Ford to have any excuse not to honor the warranty. I know most people wouldn't do it, but since there is no grease under my finger nails, I decided for peace of mind to go on and have it done. When it was in for the last oil change, they suggested it needed to be done, and my feeling was that they are just trying to sell service so I held off a couple of months, but decided the other day to go on and do it. I know some of you probably think I am crazy, but I guess I look at it as kind of an insurance policy.

porthole
11-10-2017, 06:09 AM
dealership I know and trust....

I decided for peace of mind to go on and have it done.....

and my feeling was that they are just trying to sell service....

Go with your gut feeling.

Only reason I asked is I was in that end of the industry for 20+ years.

fritzwell
11-11-2017, 12:51 PM

2. Lane Keeping System

Jim,

I have the Tow Tech Package on this truck and it has the Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keeping alert and Adaptive steering. Also has the Ultimate Trail Tow Camera. I asked for all of these options, but now I'm asking myself why? From what I understand from the owners manual most of these features turn off when you select as towing a 5th wheel or goose neck, including the Blis Blind Spot. I talked with the dealer yesterday they weren't aware of any of this either. When they checked with their contact they came back with "Your right." I'm going to attempt contacting Ford next week for their input, we shall see I guess. Also, per the Ford book all of the above mentioned features in fact work as stated with a conventional type trailer, that being bumper hitch.

Ken

jbeletti
11-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Jim,

I have the Tow Tech Package on this truck and it has the Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keeping alert and Adaptive steering. Also has the Ultimate Trail Tow Camera. I asked for all of these options, but now I'm asking myself why? From what I understand from the owners manual most of these features turn off when you select as towing a 5th wheel or goose neck, including the Blis Blind Spot. I talked with the dealer yesterday they weren't aware of any of this either. When they checked with their contact they came back with "Your right." I'm going to attempt contacting Ford next week for their input, we shall see I guess. Also, per the Ford book all of the above mentioned features in fact work as stated with a conventional type trailer, that being bumper hitch.

Ken

Well that's sort of a wet blanket :(

I have yet to connect my 5th wheel (or read the manual). I'm wondering if it's a requirement to tell the truck computer you're 5th wheel towing? Does it automatically know based on connection of the 7-wire in the bed?

porthole
11-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Well that's sort of a wet blanket :(

I have yet to connect my 5th wheel (or read the manual). I'm wondering if it's a requirement to tell the truck computer you're 5th wheel towing? Does it automatically know based on connection of the 7-wire in the bed?

Thats interesting.

I know the dash monitor (trailer mileage screen display) knows a trailer is connected via the brake control circuit.

Connecting to the bumper socket or in bed socket should narrow that query down.

The BLIS has something to do with the trailer length. E.G. disabled because the trailer length would be an unknown with the BLIS ?.
Nope - disabled based on how you set up the data on screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Good video answers some of these questions.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/safety/blis-with-trailer-coverage-and-cross-traffic-alert.html?year=2017&model=F-250&sync=sync3

LBR
11-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Good to know. We won't be hooking up and towing until mid-December....will be watching this tread for sure!!

Wmnmy
11-11-2017, 06:33 PM
Yes the new 2017 F-350 finally got to pull my 3965dss with the Anderson hitch I am truly a happy camper
no clanking .....

travlingman
11-11-2017, 09:48 PM
You can use BLIS with a fifth wheel. When you program your trailer don't put it as a fifth wheel but a conventional. Next put length as 33 feet, longest it will accept and still work. On mine it will pick a vehicle up at about the trailers back tires.

As far as stuff being turned off when tow haul turned on, it is not. Adaptive steering is turned on when tow haul is. The exhaust brake feature is enhanced when tow haul turned on.

pegmikef
11-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I got a letter from Ford Credit the other day, didn't read it real close, but I think it said I could purchase any new Ford product I wanted and they would finance up to $75,000 of it. Not sure my credit is really that good, but I guess that would cover a new 2017 or 2018 F350 DRW. Good thing I threw the letter away, because after reading this thread, I might be tempted to take it with me tomorrow. LOL

Dunno George, that might cover it. On the fluids, FYI at my last oil change, they tested the coolant and made a note recommending it be changed at the next oil change which would be about 63k miles. I don't recall ever having the brake fluid or steering fluid replaced. I seem to recall that the transmission and rear end were done around fifty thousand. As someone else posted, with that kind of credit, just get a new one (it comes with all fresh fluids).

Chippendale
11-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Dunno George, that might cover it. On the fluids, FYI at my last oil change, they tested the coolant and made a note recommending it be changed at the next oil change which would be about 63k miles. I don't recall ever having the brake fluid or steering fluid replaced. I seem to recall that the transmission and rear end were done around fifty thousand. As someone else posted, with that kind of credit, just get a new one (it comes with all fresh fluids).

Mike, I can't purchase a new truck until I put new tires on this one. I have now traded in a truck and a trailer with brand new tires on them, it is getting to be some what of a tradition, and I can't short Discount Tire of their profit. With my record, it is a wonder I have any credit at all.

elwaller39
11-13-2017, 07:21 PM
I know all of you people like the new head lights but I sure do not like to face these new head lights coming at me. these old eyes have a hard time around these light. And if it is raining the problem become even more of a problem.