backup camera options

I purchased a new 2018 Mallard M185 over the weekend. It is pre-wired for a rear camera and I am wondering what options I have for brands? I'd also like to know that when its connected does it only come on when the vehicle is in reverse or can you view behind you when you are going down the road?

Paul

jbeletti

Paul - by "pre-wired", are you saying there is a black plastic housing on the rear cap area for a camera? If so, that housing is likely by Furrion and it's designed in two ways to accept only the Furrion brand camera.

1. There's a cover that comes off that housing (4 tiny screws) and the Furrion camera fits into that space behind the camera
2. There's a power connector behind the cover and that connector mates up to a Furrion camera

Hard to say how it's powered. You may need to contact Heartland Customer Service on that (877-262-8032).

This all said, I have used that Furrion pre-wire with another brand of camera by:
1. Removed cover, drilled holes in it and mounted another camera to the cover
2. Hacked the power cord by removing the connector, exposing and using the power wires to connect to another camera.

So it is possible to use the Furrion camera pre-wire with some other brand of camera, but it's not designed for it and takes some cutting and drilling. The Furrion solution is plug-and-play.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Paul. Welcome to this great forum and congratulations on your new Mallard.
I'm pretty sure that your rig is wired for plug and play using the Furion brand camera system. I don't know if Furion has a proprietary plug but if it does you will have to use a Furion or somehow change the plug to use another brand camera. The Furion camera does have a good reputation.
As far as how you can view the monitor it will depend on the source of the 12 volt power. You will be able to wire it to a source from the backup lights, a switched 12 volt or possibly the best option is using the running lights as the source. I think it comes wired as the 12 volt source being the running lights, maybe the best option.

Consider joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending a rally or bunch of rallies.
Club and Events can be found by clicking on their tab located in the navigation near the top of this page.

Peace
Dave

Yep - black plastic housing on the rear cap area for a camera. So Furrion seems to be the way to go. Thanks for the info.

Paul - by "pre-wired", are you saying there is a black plastic housing on the rear cap area for a camera? If so, that housing is likely by Furrion and it's designed in two ways to accept only the Furrion brand camera.

1. There's a cover that comes off that housing (4 tiny screws) and the Furrion camera fits into that space behind the camera
2. There's a power connector behind the cover and that connector mates up to a Furrion camera

Hard to say how it's powered. You may need to contact Heartland Customer Service on that (877-262-8032).

This all said, I have used that Furrion pre-wire with another brand of camera by:
1. Removed cover, drilled holes in it and mounted another camera to the cover
2. Hacked the power cord by removing the connector, exposing and using the power wires to connect to another camera.

So it is possible to use the Furrion camera pre-wire with some other brand of camera, but it's not designed for it and takes some cutting and drilling. The Furrion solution is plug-and-play.

Oregon_Camper

The camera a LOT of folks on here install in the Furrion "Observation". This model allows you to have the camera on all the time (driving or parked), vs other model that only comes on when in "reverse". I've had the signal drop one time, for about 5 seconds. This thing rocks. I have it tilted down when I have the WR450 (motorcycle) on the back of the trailer, so I can see the dirtbike and traffic. Even in this down position I can see WAY back behind the RV.

Our Bighorn didn't come "pre-wired" so I simply tapped into the marker light at the top and it was really a 5 min install. Using the marker light the camera comes on when i turn on the lights inside the truck.

Link to Furrion Camera on Amazon

71ZIa9e77qL._SL1500_.jpg

CoveredWagon

Our BH was wired hot all the time, so I installed a little relay switch and shoved it through a small hole I cut behind the camera mount. I use the observation camera.

Oregon_Camper

Our BH was wired hot all the time, so I installed a little relay switch and shoved it through a small hole I cut behind the camera mount. I use the observation camera.

I'm going off topic a bit...

I wonder why they wiring these RV's for reverse cameras, with a constant hot wire? They could simply tap into the 7-way plug power and then the camera would only come on when the truck is connected. I know some folks use the camera/monitor inside their RV as a security option, but I think that number is low, compared to just using the camera while driving. IMHO of course...:)

JamesL73

Do you by chance have any pics of your mod on this? Mine was also pre wired to full time hot. Must have some idiots working in their electrical department. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Do you by chance have any pics of your mod on this? Mine was also pre wired to full time hot. Must have some idiots working in their electrical department. ??

This is the relay I bought from amazon. If I remember correctly I had to open the hole a bit to install it.
Seems to me there was only a small hole big enough to run the wire through from the factory.
I have the observation camera but with either camera it makes a nice installation. I prefer to drive without my trailer lights on, many others do it’s just a personal choice.

Genssi

Logisys RM02 12V 15AMP Relay Kit with Two Remote Controls

JamesL73

This is the relay I bought from amazon. If I remember correctly I had to open the hole a bit to install it.
Seems to me there was only a small hole big enough to run the wire through from the factory.
I have the observation camera but with either camera it makes a nice installation. I prefer to drive without my trailer lights on, many others do it’s just a personal choice.

Genssi

Logisys RM02 12V 15AMP Relay Kit with Two Remote Controls

I like the idea of it being on a remote control rather than a switch that I would likely forget to turn on before running all my slides in.... Thanks!!

Appeal3

I have a new Trail Runner34' trailer. Is there a certain camera brand that is pre wired on the trailer? I am new to back up cameras on trailers so any help or brand recommendations will be welcome. I cannot find any information in my manual.
Thanks
Pat

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

We purchased the Furrion “Observation” camera and LOVE it. You can see WAY back while driving and it makes lanes changes so much easier. The non “Observation” model only works while vehicle is in reverse, so I went with “Observation” model, so I can use it for driving and backing into a campground site.

Link to Furrion on Amazon

71ZIa9e77qL._SL1500_.jpg

CoveredWagon

To the best of my knowledge (which is limited) I’ve never heard of a Bighorn or other Rv which was wired for a camera with backup light power. The only way I could see to use a backup camera would be to wire in a switch unless you want run a wire from the 7 pin connector. Without a switch the camera would be on all the time or if wired via the marker lights it would be on 100% of the time the vehicle lights epwere on.

JamesL73

To the best of my knowledge (which is limited) I’ve never heard of a Bighorn or other Rv which was wired for a camera with backup light power. The only way I could see to use a backup camera would be to wire in a switch unless you want run a wire from the 7 pin connector. Without a switch the camera would be on all the time or if wired via the marker lights it would be on 100% of the time the vehicle lights epwere on.

According to the Heartland tech that I spoke with on the phone, the back up prep pkg is “supposed” to be getting wired to the reverse side of the 7 pin. But apparently that has not been communicated to the people in the shop(s) doing the actual wiring work.

danemayer

If the factory wires it so the camera has power all the time, then you can use the camera as either an observation camera (if you spend the money), or just as a backup camera.

If the factory wires it to only get power on backup, then you would have a rewiring job to use an observation camera.

And of course, the way technology advances, it won't be long until even the cheapest cameras are suitable for observation.

JamesL73

If the factory wires it so the camera has power all the time, then you can use the camera as either an observation camera (if you spend the money), or just as a backup camera.

If the factory wires it to only get power on backup, then you would have a rewiring job to use an observation camera.

And of course, the way technology advances, it won't be long until even the cheapest cameras are suitable for observation.

You make a very good point, however it would be nice if they would wire it in to the running lights rather than into the RVs 12v system, as was my case, and many other’s from what I’ve read. I think we can all agree on that one. Lol

danemayer

You make a very good point, however it would be nice if they would wire it in to the running lights rather than into the RVs 12v system, as was my case, and many other’s from what I’ve read. I think we can all agree on that one. Lol

Yep. I think they may have figured that one out.

avvidclif

Observation camera??? What's that? I wired mine into the running lights. Lights on=camera on. Direction doesn't count. Don't want camera at night and lights on=turn off monitor.

JamesL73

Observation camera??? What's that? I wired mine into the running lights. Lights on=camera on. Direction doesn't count. Don't want camera at night and lights on=turn off monitor.

The “back-up” model is meant for just that, slow moving. The “observation” model is made for higher speed like driving down the highway. I can only assume that it has something to do with the speed of the focus or something with the internals of the camera itself. But, this is just my educated guess.