Hot counter above fireplace

beardedone

Beardedone
Here is another question. Working (yes - working because I have to pay for it somehow) on the computer in my Augusta the counter above the fireplace gets quite warm, almost hot. I can't help but think that cannot be good for it in the long term. I put a small fan on top to blow air over it as an experiment, and that does help to keep the surface cooler. Can this high heat cause any damage? Is it normal? Thanks for any replies. None

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Gerry, this has been discussed in the past. Please do a search for "fireplace" and you will find how others have addressed this situation.

Forrest Fetherolf

This was my problem and fix for fireplace problem late 2006 post.

Forrest

Optiflame Fireplace hazzard
Owners with the Optiflame fireplace should check the installation of this unit. When I first used the electric internal heater, the only thing that got hot was the fireplace oak mantel and upper oak frame. The mantel and upper frame was so hot that I could not finger touch. The unit was installed at the factory directly on the carpet which prevented air flow under the unit for the heater fan and no other air source was provided. Optiflame specifications clearly state in bold lettering "Do not install the fireplace insert directly on carpet or similar surfaces which may restrict the air flow."
The fix is, I placed a 24" x 12" 26 gauge sheet metal under the fireplace legs to provide an opening for air flow to the fan. I raised the mantel and surround 3/8" off the carpet. I installed 26" x 14" sheet metal between the top of the fireplace and upper oak frame and mantel as a heat deflector. The unit works efficiently without the threat of a fire hazzard.
I advised Chris De La Paz at the Bighorn factory of this hazzard.

beardedone

Beardedone
Well I guess the people at Heartland are not listening! I read the posts on over heating due to the unit being set on carpet and insufficient air intake. Well my 2 month old Augusta has the fireplace sitting on carpet and no fresh air intake. I am not happy!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I guess the people at Heartland are not listening! I read the posts on over heating due to the unit being set on carpet and insufficient air intake. Well my 2 month old Augusta has the fireplace sitting on carpet and no fresh air intake. I am not happy!

It is not that they are not listening, they just do not follow this section. If you would bring this up in the "Ask the factory" section you would get some factory input.

Good luck,
Mark

Forrest Fetherolf

This has been discussed since 12/05 on "Ask The Factory" with Scott Tuttle's response, a year before I complained to Chris De La Paz 12/06.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=667&highlight=optiflame+fire+hazzard

Forrest