Long RV problems

Codive

OK, getting closer day by day to my Heartland. I have been lurking awhile and Learning, as well as talking to RV owners in person.

I've heard that the long RVs have some issues in some parks due to their lengths and the parks not having long enough spaces for them. Is there a secret to locating good parks that can handle the 44' RW427 or CY4250?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
We have been on the road 1 1/2 years,only had 1 park we had a problem with.When you make your reservations let them know how long you are.Most parks have been very good about giving us a site that we can get into. Sometimes it can be a little tight,just take your time.Our 5th wheel is 43 feet long and I never pulled a trailer before.

BigGuy82

May a short site be your biggest RV park problem. We ALWAYS call ahead _ that way fewer surprises. Also, I prefer pull throughs. Less hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

OK, getting closer day by day to my Heartland. I have been lurking awhile and Learning, as well as talking to RV owners in person.

I've heard that the long RVs have some issues in some parks due to their lengths and the parks not having long enough spaces for them. Is there a secret to locating good parks that can handle the 44' RW427 or CY4250?

The good news is that many Colorado State Parks have very nice loops with long pull through spots.

Codive

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering downsizing since kids are moving out but mama isn't keen on the smaller units.

chiefneon

Howdy!

When looking for a RV park I like to research rvparkreviws.com website. There are post by RVer’s that have used the park. I also call ahead and not only tell them we have a large 44’ 5er but also a large MDT tow vehicle. One other site I use is google earth. I look to see how the RV park is setup tit turns, over head trees etc... it helps to plan ahead.

”Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Last edited by a moderator:

george637

If you stay at state parks, you can go to reserveamerica.com and type in the state you are interested in. On the left-hand column you can then select that you are looking for a RV site, and enter the length of your rig. You can also click on "more options" and enter what type of electric hook-up you want, etc. Then hit search, and sites that match your criteria will come up on a campground map and list. If you stay at federal government parks (Corp of Engineers, US Forest Service, BLM, etc.) you can do a similar search at recreation.gov I have found that there are fewer sites for big rigs at state and/or federal parks, that's why we chose a Bighorn that was under 36 feet. We like to stay at the public parks, rather than the private parks, as we find there typically is more privacy and woods at the public parks.

If you are a member of AAA, you can also go to your AAA center and ask for the Woodall's official campground books. AAA gives them out free of charge. There are Woodall books for each section of the country. There are state maps and the campgrounds are listed by the cities they are closest to. So once you determine where you want to go, you look up the city/town and the campsites will be listed, both public and private parks.

Enjoy your new rig & your new camping experiences.

George & Linda
Bighorn_Silverado.jpg
States Visited Camping Map 07_2017.jpg

avvidclif

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering downsizing since kids are moving out but mama isn't keen on the smaller units.

Simple, tell momma if it's over 40' she gets to park it.

PondSkum

Some RV parks have length options online so you can plan ahead. But I like to use Google Earth, like mentioned above, to look at the layout and plan a route for maneuvering in the park with the big 5th wheel. Mine is only 38 ft. but with my Mega Cab, it takes some space to turn around. On Google Earth, there's a measure mode, and you can actually zoom in on the parking spots and measure the length in ft. to ensure that your rig will fit. I've figured out that with 70 ft, I'm comfortable with truck still attached to trailer, and can let my ramp patio down without being out of the parking spot.

sengli

The key thing, is like others have said..dont just show up to a park. Research the sites and the layout of the parks, to see hwta will be easier to you. My rig is 38 feet, but with the DRW 8foot bed truck she doesnt turn on a dime. We almost always camp in local state parks, and there are some we just dont even think about doing due to the small sites and the roads in them campgrounds.

porthole

Retired
One of the problems we have seen with State parks around the northeast is the "specs" are never updated.
Two recent stays; a Mass state park had our site listed as a max of 30' RV. Could have easily parked a 50+ 5th wheel in the site.
We had just enough power cord to reach the pedestal without using an extension.

Two weeks ago we were in a DE state park that had a 20' max size limit. Our 36' Cyclone fit just fine with enough room to park the DRW in front of the trailer. The 20' limitation on that site really disappeared years ago when a tree was cut down.

A local county park we go to has 50' pull through sites. But these sites are on a curve off the main roads. Although we fit fine, due to trees we cannot pull through. Have to back out the same way we pulled in.

NYSUPstater

Old coach: 4 people (2A,2C), 35'.
New coach: (2A) 41'.
We both love the extra room and like what's been said already, check ahead to see if rig will fit. Am not bothered by size as I drive a semi for a living. New rig is easier to tow and maneuver around (IMO) than old one.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I’ve found that the bigger the trailer the less people they sleep comfortably . . . :rolleyes:

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Heartland has our billed as sleeping 7. No matter how hard I try I cannot see it sleeping more than 2 unless one of our kids is visiting. Technically its the dogs living room.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland has our billed as sleeping 7. No matter how hard I try I cannot see it sleeping more than 2 unless one of our kids is visiting. Technically its the dogs living room.

Idk how you get 7 either. We've had Tony's sister stay on the couch/bed for about 3 days, that's it for us.

NYSUPstater

We've had 6 sleep in ours. 2 in BR, 2 on sofabed, 1 on blow up mattress by kit table and another on a air mattress in BR. Saw a thing sometime ago on tv about RV's and more so the high priced MH's etc. 1 owner said that folks (incl kids) can come to visit, but don't plan on spending the night.