Things I Like About Rallies and Things I Don't

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I thought it would be interesting (and helpful) to start a thread discussing the various aspects of attending rallies!

As chapter leaders we strive to make our rallies enjoyable for those that participate. In that effort, many options are available to us but everyone is different and our efforts can sometimes be in vain. Some of these points have to do with personal likes and dislikes while others have to do with using the funds available as efficiently as possible. The kinds of things I'd like input on include:

1) Do you enjoy planned activities like plant tours, local sightseeing trips, attending events like concerts or racetracks etc. or do you feel compelled to participate in something that is of little or no interest?

2) Do you enjoy door prize giveaways or are you annoyed with winning "the same old stuff" at every rally?

3) Do you like the 50/50 type drawings or raffle ticket sales for higher end drawings? Do you feel like you're being compelled to "donate" constantly?

4) Have you experienced something at a rally (Heartland or otherwise) that you would like to see more often or at every rally?

5) Is there something you see at rallies that really annoys you?

6) Would you consider buying tickets to a catered dinner in lieu of the pot luck with club provided chicken strips or hamburgers and hot dogs?

7) Would you mind bringing your own plates cups and silverware to group meals when asked?

8) Would you like to see these questions (or others) in a poll where you could keep your opinion confidential?

This discussion isn't meant to point fingers or trash any particular rally. Many of you have attended more rallies than you can count and I'm sure you've had discussions on these topics on the drive home (or to the next campground). Leslie and I thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie of the rally and look at the list of attendees before looking at the agenda when we're heading to a rally.

Please remember that Region and National rallies operate under different constraints and budgets so what they are able to do and what we can do as a chapter are different.

Thank you for your comments!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Neale, Well put. Items we and others discussed last weekend I see. IMO I think a voting poll where the voter is anonymous would garner higher participation. Anyone who believes additional comments are necessary to justify a position will likely add those to the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KARRON

I thought it would be interesting (and helpful) to start a thread discussing the various aspects of attending rallies!

As chapter leaders we strive to make our rallies enjoyable for those that participate. In that effort, many options are available to us but everyone is different and our efforts can sometimes be in vain. Some of these points have to do with personal likes and dislikes while others have to do with using the funds available as efficiently as possible. The kinds of things I'd like input on include:

1) Do you enjoy planned activities like plant tours, local sightseeing trips, attending events like concerts or racetracks etc. or do you feel compelled to participate in something that is of little or no interest?

2) Do you enjoy door prize giveaways or are you annoyed with winning "the same old stuff" at every rally?

3) Do you like the 50/50 type drawings or raffle ticket sales for higher end drawings? Do you feel like you're being compelled to "donate" constantly?

4) Have you experienced something at a rally (Heartland or otherwise) that you would like to see more often or at every rally?

6) Would you consider buying tickets to a catered dinner in lieu of the pot luck with club provided chicken strips or hamburgers and hot dogs?

7) Would you mind bringing your own plates cups and silverware to group meals when asked?

8) Would you like to see these questions (or others) in a poll where you could keep your opinion confidential?

This discussion isn't meant to point fingers or trash any particular rally. Many of you have attended more rallies than you can count and I'm sure you've had discussions on these topics on the drive home (or to the next campground). Leslie and I thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie of the rally and look at the list of attendees before looking at the agenda when we're heading to a rally.

Please remember that Region and National rallies operate under different constraints and budgets so what they are able to do and what we can do as a chapter are different.

Those are all great questions, voting would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

szewczyk_john

Offering my 2 cents, I believe that State and Regional rallies should devote as much monies as a possible to lowering the rates charged for the campgrounds where the event is being held. By doing this each attendee will be getting the same exact benefit, from the club, regardless of what each attendee does during the event.There should be a planed list of agenda items or events where attendees can decide which of those events to participate in. I am in favor of potlucks over catered events as you normally get a wider selection from a potluck. I also believe that State and Regional rallies should be held not only at different venues within the jurisdiction but they should also be held at different times during the year.

The National Rally is done right, in my opinion. The same venue, same time of year with activities to promote the area and for furtherance of the club's interest.

I have enjoyed every rally that I have attended and no disrespect is meant to any one that runs, plans or schedules these events. You guys do not get enough thanks for what you do. The membership is growing and I believe that the group is also getting younger. We all have our own likes and dislikes and you will never get everyone to agree on everything but everyone likes saving money.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired

These are all great questions, all the rallies I have attended have been different. You have some that are busy with activities some that are very laid back the some that are in between and I have to say I love them all. Most have been spread out for us so we never felt we were always on the go. I agree to use a confidential poll as you'll probably receive more responses.

jbeletti

I agree with Colleen - I have been to over a hundred rallies and they truly are all different. From very simple and very laid back with little planned and little going on, to a lot planned, a very busy agenda of opportunities.

Honestly, I like them all. I LOVE the diversity of the rallies. Now for owners who can only make 1 or 2 rallies per year, and if they only go to the same chapters each time time and the rallies don't vary much from year to year and IF those rally-styles don't resonate much with you, I see where that can old for some.

In terms of a poll hosted by the Club, this is something I'd love to do with our new system, once that's up and running. Maybe do it in the first quarter of 2018.

Until then, I love reading all the comments to this thread. Thanks Neale for starting it. So hey Heartland Owners, what do you LOVE about rallies? What do you NOT CARE FOR so much at rallies? What DO YOU WANT at rallies that you've seen little of?

rdufek

First and foremost Thank You!!! to all our leaders for what you do!!! We love attending rallies and meeting new people, we have made a lot of great new friends. Please don't give up the Heartland Give-Back program, it is a staple of our club. I have never felt pressured to give and everyone gives what they can afford. I would say I agree we should bring our own dinnerware as it would save money for our club leaders, it would save a lot on our leaders, and it would be money well spent elsewhere. As a suggestion for things to do, and it doesn't have to be organized by club leaders and we don't usually see, corn hole game, ladder ball, washer game or horseshoes. Again, Thank You to all our leaders, we appreciate everything you do.

MTPockets

Huge thanks to Rally Leaders! All have done a great job at each of the rallies we attended. We’ve enjoyed all the rallies, but the more enjoyable for us were the smaller venues and those with the most flexible schedules. We particularly enjoyed the longer rallies, I.e. four or five days opposed to two. I suppose the short schedules can be extended on an individual basis, as we did do that a few times. We cherish those new friends we’ve made and all the new experiences.

porthole

Retired
Pot lucks

After 50+ rallies I like Pot Lucks as the number one reason after the basic rally concept in general

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
After attending more than a score of rallies and campouts, we have yet to see anything we didn't like. Our number one and two reasons for attending are to reconnect with our RV friends and to make new ones. We really like potlucks and the variety of dishes that we get to choose from. We get involved in most of the activities and have attended many seminars. We like the energy that gets generated from auctions and raffles. Since we've only attended rallies and campouts out west, we have come to expect lots of options/activities at rallies and pretty much just hanging out, or spur of the moment activities at campouts. In both cases we tend to get together for happy hours, most meals and campfires.

We have hosted two chapter rallies and are planning a third. We would be interested in survey results but would want them to be tallied by region as it appears that we may have very different cultures around our views of rallies. We agree that the survey should be answered anonymously, however the first question could ask to which state chapter the responder belongs.

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
We would be interested in survey results but would want them to be tallied by region as it appears that we may have very different cultures around our views of rallies. We agree that the survey should be answered anonymously, however the first question could ask to which state chapter the responder belongs.

An excellent point. This is indeed how the poll would be handled.

hoefler

I glad to see everyone has enjoyed going to different rallies, our experience has been quite different. We were very excited to attend our first rally about 2 hours from us. When we arrived and setting up, we had another couple with us with a brand new North Trail and this was their first outing, no one, I mean no one acknowledged us, said hi, by, or boo to use. We had gone down to where everyone was gathering and felt like we were outsiders and un-welcome. Eventually some of the attendees did start to talk with us, but it was uncomfortable. Very clickish.

Or second experience at a rally, was just as bad if not worse. Here again, this rally was about an hour and a half from use, we went to this park where they had scheduled a rally but did not sign up for it. When we drove in, we past by a group of people standing in the road where all of th Heartland trailers were set up, not one person waved back to us as we went by. When we set up, I notice I had a broken shock mount, and had removed the tire to remove the shock, not one person came by to greet, offer assistance, or anything. One day we were walking our dogs, we walked right in front of all of the Heartland rigs with several people sitting outside their rigs, very few would say Hi or wave, some actually went inside. Only one would actually talk to me, he was out by his new Ram dually and I asked him about the truck. His wife walked away and went inside their trailer and left my wife holding the dog. Very snobish group indeed.

My wife refuses to entertain going to any rally, she might consider a national one, but unlikely, since our schedule dictates when we can go. Long summer trips are out since she works at a seasonal business.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
The poll Is a great idea. As a CL we are always asking for what people like. In our area it seems that just getting together is the most important.

porthole

Retired
I glad to see everyone has enjoyed going to different rallies, our experience has been quite different. We were very excited to attend our first rally about 2 hours from us. When we arrived and setting up, we had another couple with us with a brand new North Trail and this was their first outing, no one, I mean no one acknowledged us, said hi, by, or boo to use. We had gone down to where everyone was gathering and felt like we were outsiders and un-welcome. Eventually some of the attendees did start to talk with us, but it was uncomfortable. Very clickish.

Or second experience at a rally, was just as bad if not worse. Here again, this rally was about an hour and a half from use, we went to this park where they had scheduled a rally but did not sign up for it. When we drove in, we past by a group of people standing in the road where all of th Heartland trailers were set up, not one person waved back to us as we went by. When we set up, I notice I had a broken shock mount, and had removed the tire to remove the shock, not one person came by to greet, offer assistance, or anything. One day we were walking our dogs, we walked right in front of all of the Heartland rigs with several people sitting outside their rigs, very few would say Hi or wave, some actually went inside. Only one would actually talk to me, he was out by his new Ram dually and I asked him about the truck. His wife walked away and went inside their trailer and left my wife holding the dog. Very snobish group indeed.

My wife refuses to entertain going to any rally, she might consider a national one, but unlikely, since our schedule dictates when we can go. Long summer trips are out since she works at a seasonal business.

Come to a Northeast rally.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired

Sorry to hear you have had a few bad experiences all I can say is try another one. My husband and I have yet to go to a rally where we haven't been welcomed, and we have gone to many and two nationals and never felt like an outsider in fact just the opposite. I don't know what the circumstances were at the two rallies you attended but I can assure you most are not that way. Just to give you an example a member of our chapter one year had a major issue with his rig and all he had to say to one person what the problem was and there were 10 plus guys around his rig spending all day to fix his problem and they did it with smiles. There are more stories of this type of members and rallies in the club than not and I hope you don't give up on us because we have meet some life long friends from the rallies. I know we are a distance away but if you happen to be in the northeast area we would love for you to come to one of the northeast rallies and meet some wonderful people who will definitely give you a different opinion of this club. I hope you'll give the club another chance and you'll see a different side to it. Hope to meet you down the road

szewczyk_john

My first rally was a National Rally and I walked away from that feeling the same way you did. I believe that I was the only one there with kids and we really did feel out of place. But then I made comments on this forum about it. Maybe because of my speaking up, at the National Rally they now have a first timers meeting and I have gotten to know many other members. I do not attend a lot of rallies do to my limited number of vacation days but I am a member of this club because of the forum. I have learned so much from others that I will be a life time member just for that reason. Maybe you should give the rallies another chance. In my opinion, you should not have had any bad feeling for the one that you did not register for. If you did not register for the rally how can you complain that you were not included in the rally?

jbeletti

My first rally was a National Rally and I walked away from that feeling the same way you did. I believe that I was the only one there with kids and we really did feel out of place. But then I made comments on this forum about it. Maybe because of my speaking up, at the National Rally they now have a first timers meeting and I have gotten to know many other members. I do not attend a lot of rallies do to my limited number of vacation days but I am a member of this club because of the forum. I have learned so much from others that I will be a life time member just for that reason. Maybe you should give the rallies another chance. In my opinion, you should not have had any bad feeling for the one that you did not register for. If you did not register for the rally how can you complain that you were not included in the rally?

Thanks for sharing John and also for encouraging others to try again. At the end of the day, people are people and we are all different. We did add the First-timers meeting for the National rally based on feedback. We also added a greeter team (in 2017) whose goal was to get around to all first-timers (and others) to greet them personally.

Were you on the corner in NW? I recall someone there in a TH with children. I stopped by to say hello in 2017 :)

It's normal for attendees at rallies to seek out and hang out with their pals. Just human nature. It's understandable how it can seem put-offish to the new person. One who makes a concerted effort to come to a rally also needs to reach out. It makes me sad to read here that some have gotten what they feel is the cold shoulder at their first and even second rally.

In 2017, we did make a push for and will continue to do so going forward, to have someone or some couple at each rally be part of a greeting team.

Thanks John and everyone for their feedback. Please keep sharing here.

porthole

Retired

Well John you did park your toy hauler in the farthest space from anything :cool:

When do you plan on that quiet State Park in PA again we'd like to do that with you guys. Might even get enough of the PA folks to give "roughing it" a try !

RoadJunkie

There should probably be some sort of identifier that attaches temporarily to your rig when you are a participant of a rally. I have walked around RV parks wondering if this or that Heartland rig is participating in the rally. If you are feeling left out, just seek out the Ford truck owners, they are very, very, friendly. Also, to quote Forest Gump, "Friendly is as friendly does". Ok, maybe it wasn't Forest Gump who said that, but if you are an outgoing/friendly person then you can usually crack the "cliquish" barrier. I know, nobody considers themselves unfriendly (read, don't flame me), but sometimes it takes a few attempts to engage a group of people that know each other.