Flex Guard / Straps ?

Uncle Rog

Howdy, the kitchen slide flex that holds the slide wiring is broken at the frame, most rv's use this system now. I am thinking of using a t hinge to repair it. Any ideas? I guess I could just replace it but the fix seems easy enough.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We had the same thing happen on the main slide. I used a 3" plain jane galvanized hinge. I attached it to the plastic with 3/16 button head pop rivets and to the frame with the original self drilling screws. No problems since.

Uncle Rog

Thanks Ray, that is pretty much what I was planning to do. I will look at it again, I was thinking the t hinge would provide a little more purchase but the square type might put less stress on the plastic. One note, I have put small hose clamps on the down rod below each strap on the slide side to keep the straps at the top of the rod. They had slid down and could have come right off, not now.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
One note, I have put small hose clamps on the down rod below each strap on the slide side to keep the straps at the top of the rod. They had slid down and could have come right off, not now.

Uncle Rog - the strap may need to be at the bottom of the rod for alignment purposes. You may want to check this with another unit if you see one.

Uncle Rog

Thanks cdb, they are pretty level to the eye, good observation................
If they are not straight that might put extra torque on the plastic.........

jpmorgan37

Rog;

They are supposed to have one of those friction stoppers (looks sort of like a star washer except it fits on tight and won't come off). Lippert should send you the parts to fix it.

John

Uncle Rog

Good to hear from you jp, I have slid the washers up a couple of times already, with the clamps they seem to be pretty much bullet proof now............

HappyKayakers

I ditched the flexguard after the tire chewed through it last year. Just using cable ties to hold up the wires now with no problem.

nscaler2

How are you holding the bundle up?

I ditched the flexguard after the tire chewed through it last year. Just using cable ties to hold up the wires now with no problem.

Joe, what are you attaching the cable ties to to hold the wire up?
Thanks

Uncle Rog

Happy, only one of mine were had tire rash, a common thing on the 3600 kitchen slide after seeing Forrest's pictures. When I put in the slide I do a visual or pull the strap the opposite direction after it is partially closed..........

billd

Was looking under my BH this weekend. All 3 FlexGuard are cracked bad or broken (2 broken, 1 cracked) Guess I will call Lippert to get the parts for this.

Thanks for the link and tip ideas folks.

Bill