Power system

rdgt67

2015 key west, power management system shows L1 pulling 47 amps and L2 pulling 9. Is there a problem or just running a lot of stuff? What systems are on what leg or does it matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
2015 key west, power management system shows L1 pulling 47 amps and L2 pulling 9. Is there a problem or just running a lot of stuff? What systems are on what leg or does it matter?

That sounds like it could be normal and just where the items you have running are pulling power. If the L1 leg is wired to the majority of the items you have running currently, then it would make sense that it has a larger load on it than L2. Ours usually does too.

Rod

danemayer

Hi rdgt67,

If you look in your main circuit breaker panel, starting to the right of the main 50s, for each pair of breakers, the 1st is on leg 1 and the 2nd is on leg 2. So if you look at the left of each pair of breakers, and what's running in the coach, you can tell which devices are on each leg.

rdgt67

That sounds like it could be normal and just where the items you have running are pulling power. If the L1 leg is wired to the majority of the items you have running currently, then it would make sense that it has a larger load on it than L2. Ours usually does too.

Rod

So, how do you like the newport?

rdgt67

Hi rdgt67,

If you look in your main circuit breaker panel, starting to the right of the main 50s, for each pair of breakers, the 1st is on leg 1 and the 2nd is on leg 2. So if you look at the left of each pair of breakers, and what's running in the coach, you can tell which devices are on each leg.

Not being a mental giant with electricity it would be like 1,2 1,2, 1,2 all the way down the panel?

- - - Updated - - -

The park i am in has been rebuilt after a storm. On leg on the pedestal is heating up behind the meter. I was asked if my trailer was having issues but all seems normal. The L1 and L2 were the only thing i noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Not being a mental giant with electricity it would be like 1,2 1,2, 1,2 all the way down the panel?

- - - Updated - - -

The park i am in has been rebuilt after a storm. On leg on the pedestal is heating up behind the meter. I was asked if my trailer was having issues but all seems normal. The L1 and L2 were the only thing i noticed.

Yes, 1,2,1,2,1,2.....

If you have wires heating up anywhere, it's a problem and a potentially dangerous and damaging condition. For example, if the neutral line at the pedestal overheats and fails because of a loose connection, your power could become unbalanced in the coach and one leg could even shoot up over 200 volts damaging the equipment powered on that leg.

If they can't resolve the heat problem, change sites.

rdgt67

Yes, 1,2,1,2,1,2.....

If you have wires heating up anywhere, it's a problem and a potentially dangerous and damaging condition. For example, if the neutral line at the pedestal overheats and fails because of a loose connection, your power could become unbalanced in the coach and one leg could even shoot up over 200 volts damaging the equipment powered on that leg.

If they can't resolve the heat problem, change sites.

They are changing the pedestal in the morning. Thanks

rdgt67

They are changing the pedestal in the morning. Thanks

Pedestal changed and park management seems to think its the trailer. Are the loads balanced on the legs in the power management system? Dont see how the trailer could cause it as everything is working fine.

danemayer

Pedestal changed and park management seems to think its the trailer. Are the loads balanced on the legs in the power management system? Dont see how the trailer could cause it as everything is working fine.
The PCS system doesn't balance load between legs. If total power consumption exceeds the total incoming power, it sheds loads as necessary.

Load balance between legs is a function of how the circuit breakers are arranged and what you're using at any given time.

With 3 A/C units, obviously at least 2 of them will be on 1 power leg. Hopefully not all 3 are.

You should look at all the loads that are active and note their positions in the circuit breaker panel. If how the loads are distributed between the 2 legs is causing you a problem, it's not very difficult to rearrange the circuit breakers.

Oregon_Camper

Can you tell us what you have running that is pulling that much power?

Perhaps you shut everything off...getting L1 and L2 as low as possible, then start turning things back on, one at a time. Keep track of the increased amps as you turn each item back on. Once you have all the items back on (assuming you go back to L1 @ 47amps and L2 at only 9amps) you can update this thread with all the data you collected.

porthole

Retired
On our trailer, from the factory both AC’s, the water heater, converter and outlets were all on the side leg.

Balancing the panel made a big difference in keeping breakers from tripping.

rdgt67

On our trailer, from the factory both AC’s, the water heater, converter and outlets were all on the side leg.

Balancing the panel made a big difference in keeping breakers from tripping.

No problem with breakers tripping but guess i will figure out what leg runs what because after watching it i think it is unbalanced. We have been living full time for a year and a half with no issues other than the ones i have caused. Thinking about a newport anyway. Just reparing myself for a beating.