Exhaust Vent - Foul odor via 2nd A/C

bpmills

Hi guys, need you advice again. I seem to be getting an awful smell through my bedroom a/c. It seems like it is close to the black tank vent, I wash the tank weekly and have no smell from the toilet itself, only when I fire up the second a/c. Has anyone else encountered this problem on their Bighorn. Mine is a 2009 3400rl. Is there an aftermarket vent for this, any ideas would be great.
Thank you, Burt

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Yes, we have the same issue. My wife uses the RV in Dallas as an apartment while she's working. It may be a 10 day stretch from the time she leaves until she returns. It seems that the odor is sucked from the black tank exhaust through the front A/C and into the fan. Since we're in a very hot climate, she drains the tank and flushes it every other day and has no odor from the toilet. We have started leaving the tank about 1/3 full of fresh water and add about 1/3 bottle of orange tank treatment through the toilet. It helps a bit, but it's still there. We did not notice the problem while we traveled around for 3 months. Maybe the movement of the tank as well as the flow of air across the vent helped.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Try replacing the vent cap on the roof with the rotating kind of cap. It causes a suction, using the wind, even just a slight breeze, to suck the gases from the tank. Had a similar problem with our kitchen sink drain and this took care of it immediately!!!

Also, check from the roof to make sure the vent pipe hasn't slipped down into the tank, this happens sometimes and renders the vent useless. If this is the problem raise it back up above the roof line and secure. Adding the rotating cap won't hurt in this instance also. Good Luck

Happy Campers

Also, check from the roof to make sure the vent pipe hasn't slipped down into the tank, this happens sometimes and renders the vent useless. If this is the problem raise it back up above the roof line and secure. Adding the rotating cap won't hurt in this instance also. Good Luck

kakampers,in case the pipe has slipped down then how far do i raise it up without pulling it out of the tank ?. I would think if i pulled it up too far then i wouldn't be able to get it back in the tank.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Timbo

Your air conditioner is not sealed properly. Take down the cover in the bedroom, remove the three long green screws. Look for where you see the light and put alluminum tape to cover all the unsealed areas. You will have no more oders.

SmokeyBare

And for the vent pipe slipping down... You can always add a Coupling which might be enough length to attach the new Rotating cap... if not... add to the coupling a short length of pipe... enough to do the job.

Marv