Mail forwarding services

Brownie14

Not sure if this the right place to post this but would love to anyone's comments or thoughts on any of the many mail forwarding services that are out there. Full timing or just out for a lengthy trip?
Thanks in advance for any comments

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We use Americas Mailbox and they have been very dependable. We like being able to see what is in our box before they send it to us as they scan the outside of the envelopes and put those images online. We then have the option to shred each piece of mail we do not want sent or if we want we can authorize them to open it and scan it to us instantly.

MCTalley

Escapees out of Texas handled our mail (full-timers) for about three years. Early on there were problems getting things in a timely manner due to an overloaded North Houston mail hub, but that seemed to smooth out a couple years ago. I liked their scanning service, but they thought it more of a temporary thing and kept turning it off and making me turn it back on. That may have since changed, not sure.

We bought an RV lot in Florida and decided to use it as our address. When we are out for less than a month, I'll let the USPS hold our mail. This summer we used their premium forwarding service ($18 a week even if you have no mail) and were not fully pleased. When we got home, we had a nearly full mailbox (with random older mail in it) and had some older mail that had been held at the post office. That means the carrier didn't always put our mail in the stack to forward each week.

This is somewhat speculation on my part, but I believe for domicile purposes and insurance ratings that the Escapees mailbox option looks like a business address. When we "moved" to Florida and used a pure residential address our truck and trailer insurance policies dropped 40% each and our car's policy dropped 30%. Our health insurance (ACA-compliant PPO insurance plan) dropped 50% (you read that right - Texas has onerous health insurance requirements over and above ACA requirements).

B

BouseBill

Either Escapees or Americas Mailbox, for full-timers, both work great, we've has Americas Mailbox for the past 5 years and are happy with them.

wdk450

If you have home mailing address restrictions to your health care insurance provider (Like I did with Kaiser Northern California) you may want to use the local UPS store mailbox as an address. You can contact the UPS store occasionally (telephone, internet FAX) to tell them where to ship your mail to where you are currently staying. They can keep a credit card number on file to cover the shipping charges.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Personally, I like and use Americas Mailbox. Have for 3 or 4 years now. Very dependable, I can see what mail is waiting for me, determine which pieces I want and which ones I want them to shred and I don't have to join another club just to get this service. I also think the annual cost for this service is very reasonable. AND they will register your vehicles in South Dakota for you.

Gaffer

We used a UPS store when we lived in Gresham for everything (including DMV) but utility bills. When we retired and went full-time, everything went to the UPS store and they forwarded to us wherever we were via USPS flat rate. When we built on our acre in Bend, the mail boxes were all down the street so we never even put one up. We get no mail at the house. Everything goes to a PMB. They notify when we have packages delivered and forward mail on request again by USPS flat rate. Never have to worry about security of packages left at the door or gate.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We use Americas Mailbox and they have been very dependable. We like being able to see what is in our box before they send it to us as they scan the outside of the envelopes and put those images online. We then have the option to shred each piece of mail we do not want sent or if we want we can authorize them to open it and scan it to us instantly.

How do they handle actual items that can't be scanned, such as products or items that are shipped to you?

Rod

wdk450

Escapees let you know that a package has arrived via email.

When I order stuff online, I will send the packages to the RV park (if that is allowed there), send them via U.S. mail to the local post office General Delivery (and pick them up there in person), or even have them shipped to the nearest local UPS store. The UPS stores charge $5 for this service. Having packages transshipped causes added shipping costs and delays.

Gaffer

We use Postal Connections. They notify me when a package arrives and no charge for pick up at their location.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
How do they handle actual items that can't be scanned, such as products or items that are shipped to you?

Rod

We have only had that happen once and they took a picture of the shipping label on the box and sent us an e-mail notification that they had the package. They are very user friendly and you can ask them to send you your mail whenever you want or just have it scheduled every week like we do.

Brownie14

would like to send a Big Thank You to all comments regarding mail services. this has helped alot. Have to say I LOVE the Forum and all the information sharing that everyone does>
thank you.

yport

We have used American Home Base Mail Service out of Pensacola, Florida for the past 11 years and they are great.

Cost ... $10 to join and $10/month when you are using it ... you can turn it on and off with a phone call.

https://www.amhomebase.com/