Fresh Water Leak from cap

jcaff

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, new to Heartland and new to owning a trailer altogether. We have a Terry Classic and I just noticed water was leaking out of the Fresh water cap. The trailer has not moved in months. It's been hooked up to city water, but has had a full tank of fresh water in it since it's been parked in our driveway. Does anyone know why there would be water dripping out of the cap? Is this something I should worry about.. maybe a sign of something bad going on in the tank?

I did start emptying the tank and the minute I started that it stopped leaking. It just seems weird for it to leak when the trailer hasn't moved and the tank hasn't been used. We have used the water in the trailer many times, but that should be coming from the city water inlet hose, right?

As I said, I've never owned a trailer or RV before, so I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong. I'd love any advice anyone might have.

Thank you.

jimtoo

Hi jcaff,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

It sounds like the check valve in pump may be leaking letting water go into the fresh water tank. But I'm sure some others will jump in soon with more info for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Thread moved to better area also.

danemayer

Hi jcaff,

If you were hooked up to city water, then I agree with Jim, the city water is flowing backward through the water pump and overfilling the fresh tank.

Take a look at our owner-written Fresh Tank Fills by Itself guide. Pages 3, 4, and 6 will explain in more detail what's happening and how to fix it.

mlpeloquin

You may also need to make sure that your city water pressure is not too high for the trailers plumbing. Get and use a Water Pressure Regulator to protect your plumbing. Some parks water supply pressure do far exceed the rated pressure for RV's. Get a good one such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Reg...2&sr=8-5&keywords=RV+water+pressure+regulator

As for the water pump's check valve, you can replace the internal valve or add an external one using shark bite fittings.

jcaff

Thank you all for the help! I do have the pressure regulator, so I'm good there. I turned off city water and emptied the tank. I'll try turning the city water back on and see if it fills up the tank again. If it does, sounds like I have water pump check valve issue. I'll check out that guide you sent Dane. Thank you for that.

Much appreciated all!